Anti-Bullying 'Pink Shirt Day' in Canada

Talk about anything else: your pets, your car, movies, celebrities, or other things you like. As a reminder, political and religious discussions do not belong in here, nor any other topics that may incite a heated debate! As always keep it clean, please.

Moderators: KimberlyS, Celia

Toni_Lynn_P
Miss Emerald Goddess

Anti-Bullying 'Pink Shirt Day' in Canada

Post by Toni_Lynn_P »

Yesterday, 25 February 2015, here in Canada it was Pink Shirt Day. On this day students (and adults) across the nation wear a pink t-shirt to raise awareness of bullying in our schools. It really makes me proud of our kids to see the wave of pink t-shirts as they walked home from school in my little town.

Bullying affects all kids no matter who they are -- be it ethnicity, intelligence, mental abilities, religion, or physical ability. It of course affects kids on the LGBT spectrum. I can speak to that one first hand as I was bullied for being feminine when in grade 6 to 12. I was called 'fatty fag'. I was physically injured. Back in the 1970s, more often than not it was brushed off as 'boys will be boys'.

So - -a big thumbs up to every kid who proudly wore a pink t-shirt yesterday, just as I did as an adult!

Hugs

Toni-Lynn
Domonique
Miss Platinum Goddess

Re: Anti-Bullying 'Pink Shirt Day' in Canada

Post by Domonique »

That's awesome! I will cheer with you. *-* *-* I wear pink. When I had an "office job" I wore pink dress shirts all the time.

It is great that these students are standing up against bullying. It shows great strength to stand up against bullies. It shows even greater strength to stop bullies from bullying others. Now if someone would help me stop Babydoll from bullying me. :^o
Dom
Robyn
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Robyn »

This s a nice story of our changing times for the better... in comparison to the other stories we endure.

Thank you for sharing Toni-Lynn
Normal, just not average,
Robyn
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

Are they still doing Spirit Day in Canada?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_Day" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DonnaT
Toni_Lynn_P
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Toni_Lynn_P »

I have not heard of spirit day, so I am guessing it may not receive the prominence of Pink Shirt day. The only down side of Pink Shirt day is that there are many corporate sponsors, for example here in BC, t-shirts were available at London Drugs and CoastCaptal Savings. BUT -- there is also an upside in that monies raised g oto anti-bullying programmes.

Because I am in the local theatre group, I interact with a lot of teenagers, and these kids are so cool. One young man, dyed his hair blue back in January. In curiosity, I asked him about it, and he said everyone at school thought it was cool. It was like it was no big deal. They've seen me in my skorts or ultili-kilt and have given me thumbs up.

I realise that there are bullies out there still -- and that the struggle that gender variant kids go through is still a difficult road -- BUT wow! Today is so much better.

In a sense, I kinda think that if I was a kid today, I'd be branded as a 'really cool' as opposed to a freak as I was back then

Hugs

Toni-Lynn
Requal Jo
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Requal Jo »

A happy story thanks Toni. A great idea. Do all schools in Canada participate or is it optional?

This would be a great idea to run in Australia (if we could plagiarize this).

We would have to find another colour as pink in Australia is strongly associated with breast cancer.
Requal
Toni_Lynn_P
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Toni_Lynn_P »

Requal Jo wrote:Do all schools in Canada participate or is it optional?

We would have to find another colour as pink in Australia is strongly associated with breast cancer.
Almost all schools participate, not only 'public' (in the North American sense as open to all students and funded by tax dollars) as well as those in parochial Roman Catholic School districts. I think the only ones that may not would be the private church-based schools that are particularly strict -- in other words strictly associate anti-bullying efforts as a pushing of a 'gay' agenda and in doing so are so blinded by their hatred that they fail to see that bullying affects all students!

In Canada, pink is also associated with Breast Cancer, but the 'symbol' is a ribbon,so its use for anti-bullying is associated solely to the t-shirt.

Hugs

Toni-Lynn
Jina James
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Jina James »

Interesting.

I suffered my share of bullying. On the other hand, I learned and grew in response to it. In the 60s, the typical adult response was, "Suck it up, and be a man."

I have no idea how I would have reacted to a nationwide anti-bullying demonstration.
Toni_Lynn_P
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Toni_Lynn_P »

Jina James wrote:In the 60s, the typical adult response was, "Suck it up, and be a man."
Yep -- typically at home the response I received when I spoke of being bullied was that I brought it on myself by being a weirdo,that I was loner, that I was a s_ssy (a word I hate to this day!), and that I deserved it being the way I am. as I said above, it odd, how today, I'd probably be consider to be one the cooler kids around!

It really hurt being bullied at school as well at home

Hugs

Toni-Lynn
Requal Jo
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Requal Jo »

Thanks Toni. I will talk to my local school about this program.
Requal