THE OFFICIAL: Quote of the Day!!! #2

Do you have a creative side, such as writing stories, songs, poetry or more? Share it here so we can all enjoy it!

Moderator: KimberlyS

Carolynn
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carolynn »

"No! You can go back to your, what do you call it, your Google, and you figure out all that."
-- George H.W. Bush, asked to discuss Dubya's failures

The Apple does not fall far from the tree.
"It’s not given to anyone to have no regrets; only to decide, through the choices we make, which regrets we’ll have,"
David Weber – In Fury Born
Carolynn
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carolynn »

You know how it is when you're reading a book and falling asleep, you're
reading, reading...and all of a sudden you notice your eyes are closed? I'm
like that all the time. -- Steven Wright
"It’s not given to anyone to have no regrets; only to decide, through the choices we make, which regrets we’ll have,"
Carolynn
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carolynn »

I think the one thing we will miss most from Bush is his creative wordsmithing. To wit:

"We never shruck."
--George W. Bush, to staffers at White House farewell party

"Shirked!:
-- one of those staffers

"Shirked. You might have shirked; I shrucked. I mean we took the deals head on."
--Bush's response
Carolynn
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carolynn »

"And we rounded the corner -- I'll never forget it -- and I saw one of the ugliest and angriest women I have ever seen in my entire life. Boy, she was really bad. And she charged my car with a sign [which read] 'Stay out of my womb!' No problem, lady."
-- President George H. W. Bush
Carolynn
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carolynn »

"Power corrupts. Powerpoint corrupts absolutely."

- Edward R. Tufte, professor emeritus of political science, Computer science and statistics, and graphic design at Yale
Carolynn
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carolynn »

Wow, March since anyone added to this.

This is certainly political, but certainly also applicable to the hypocritical politician group. Found the two on SLATE/Doonesbury, so not original research.

"Last year I had an affair. I violated the vows of my marriage. It is the worst thing I have ever done in my life."
-- Senator John Ensign, July 2009

"I came to that conclusion recently, and frankly it's because of what he has put the country through. He has no credibility left."
-- Ensign, calling for Bill Clinton to resign over the Lewinsky affair.

Will he resign, or just admit to feet of clay?
Carolynn
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carolynn »

The pathologizing of transsexualism/ transgenderism is a
political/religious act of the sort one would expect to find in a
dictatorial society and not one where personal freedom is respected.
---- Suzanne
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Hope . . . of all the forces that make for a better world, none is so powerful as hope. With hope, one can think, one can work, one can dream. If you have hope, you have everything.

- - Author Unknown
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Carolynn
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carolynn »

A few years ago, I was visiting with a cousin that had been told that he had terminal cancer. I said I "hoped the diagnosis was wrong." and got a litany about the futility of hope. He had really thought about it and looked for inspiration but in his anger found only things that reinforced his hopelessness, and was angry that he would not live to see his 10 years old son grown, worried that his death and inability to work as well as his non-presence in their life would lead to bad things for his small family. He went into a coma the next day and died 8 days later. I went home and looked for a few of the quotes he said, just out of curiosity. I found a LOT, but there were still some that kept open positive aspects of hope among the negative.

Hope, deceitful as it is, serves at least to lead us to the end of our lives by an agreeable route. ~François Duc de La Rochefoucauld

Hope is the only universal liar who never loses his reputation for veracity. ~Robert G. Ingersoll

Things which you do not hope happen more frequently than things which you do hope. ~Titus Maccius Plautus

In reality, hope is the worst of all evils, because it prolongs man's torments. ~Friedrich Nietzsche, Human, All Too Human, 1878

Hope itself is a species of happiness, and, perhaps, the chief happiness which this world affords; but, like all other pleasures immoderately enjoyed, the excesses of hope must be expiated by pain. ~Samuel Johnson

The sudden disappointment of a hope leaves a scar which the ultimate fulfillment of that hope never entirely removes. ~Thomas Hardy

Hope is independent of the apparatus of logic. ~Norman Cousins

It's all one thing - both tend into one scope -
To live upon Tobacco and on Hope,
The one's but smoke, the other is but wind.
~Sir Robert Aytoun of Kincaldie, "Sonnet on Tobacco"

Hope is necessary in every condition. The miseries of poverty, sickness, of captivity, would, without this comfort, be insupportable. ~Samuel Johnson

Hope deceives more men than cunning does. ~Vauvenargues, Reflections and Maxims, 1746

It is the around-the-corner brand of hope that prompts people to action, while the distant hope acts as an opiate. ~Eric Hoffer

Hope is but the dream of those who wake. ~Matthew Prior

There is no hope unmingled with fear, and no fear unmingled with hope. ~Baruch Spinoza

He that lives upon hope will die fasting. ~Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack

Some see a hopeless end, while others see an endless hope. ~Author Unknown

Hope is patience with the lamp lit. ~Tertullian

Hope is the poor man's bread. ~Gary Herbert

Hope is the only bee that makes honey without flowers. ~Robert Ingersoll
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

"300 million sperm, that's the one that got through!" by Puppet Walter/Jeff Dunham
DonnaT
Carolynn
Miss Diamond Goddess

Witches and Goblins and Candy, OH MY!!!!!

Post by Carolynn »

"Most of the candy sold during this season has been dedicated and prayed over by witches�I do not buy candy during the Halloween season. Curses are sent through the tricks and treats of the innocent whether they get it by going door to door or by purchasing it from the local grocery store. The demons cannot tell the difference."
-- Dr. Kimberly Daniels, in an essay posted on Pat Robertson's Christian Broadcasting Network
Carolynn
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carolynn »

"[My grandmother] told me as a small child to quit feeding stray animals. You know why? Because they breed. You're facilitating the problem if you give an animal or a person ample food supply. They will reproduce, especially ones that don't think too much further than that. And so what you've got to do is you've got to curtail that type of behavior. They don't know any better."
-- SC Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer, on government assistance

Well, what do you expect? He is a Republican, so it's every man for himself.
Kyra
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Kyra »

"All energy is only borrowed. … You have to give it back. Every person is born twice. The second time is when you earn your place among the people forever."
-Neytiri, Avatar

BTW - Avatar is a really cool movie. (IMO) Saw it in the theatre in 3D. Bought the video Friday.
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return. - Leonardo DaVinci
Carolynn
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carolynn »

The "Entertainer" speaks again!

"Oil-covered birds on fire. Another name for dinner."
-- Rush Limbaugh

Oh well, what do we expect. I suppose he likes his turkey deep fried.

"Say, you know why ducks have flat feet? To break up floating oil fires. You know why elephants have flat feet? To put out flaming ducks."

Reworked an old joke about forest fires for that one.
Kyra
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Kyra »

Should I laugh...or groan?

#-o ..rofl..
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return. - Leonardo DaVinci