Lathe work

Do you have a creative side, such as writing stories, songs, poetry or more? Share it here so we can all enjoy it!

Moderator: KimberlyS

DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Lathe work

Post by DonnaT »

As some may know, I am a woodcarver and a woodturner.

In wood turning I've made a lot of pens. Well, the've made acrylic blanks that can be turned as easy as wood, so I also make pens from acrylic.

Like this one I did yesterday.

And here's one I did for my wife's quilt club to auction off.

DonnaT
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Oh, wow, hon, I love your new collection! I've seen your wood pens and they are absolutely beautiful, and these new acrylic pens are equally as beautiful!

Love ya, girlfriend,

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Della
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Della »

Those pens are really amazing! Is it an optical illusion, or does the "quilt club auction" model have a bit of an hour-glass figure?

Does the quilt club have a phone number for telephone bidders?
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Della wrote:Those pens are really amazing! Is it an optical illusion, or does the "quilt club auction" model have a bit of an hour-glass figure?
Slightly, but not so much.
Della wrote:Does the quilt club have a phone number for telephone bidders?
Not that I know of.
DonnaT
Mány B
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Mány B »

Hi Donna,

Very impressive work. I'm into woodwork myself and occasionally do some turning as well on a drill-actuated kind of lathe (very amateurish ). I would be very pleased to come anything close to what you are showing!

P.S: Is the hollow part being drilled first or after the turning?

Wish you successful projects
Lily
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Lily »

I tried lathe work years ago. I fear I have no talent for it. I ended up with a lot of toothpicks. I think your work is beautiful. What a wonderful way to express yourself.
Lillian Paterson

-------
My girlfriend still doesn't know why her sweaters are always stretched out.” -- Ed Wood
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

Thanks.
Mány B wrote:P.S: Is the hollow part being drilled first or after the turning?
Each pen kit comes with brass tubes, and different kits have different sizes. So holes have to be drilled first, and the tubes glued in place. Then the ends have to be squared.

After all that, then the blank can be turned on the lathe.

Youtube has some demonstrations on it.
DonnaT
Mány B
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Mány B »

Thank you Donna,
I'll have a look on youtube.
Enjoy your further projects!.
Patti D
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Patti D »

You should try turning some nice rings for us big girls. Bet they would move. size 13 if interested.
PattiD
Anita
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anita »

Very nice work, Donna. I used to run a horizonal milling machine in a shop, and the lathe operator was right across from me. Never picked up on his techniques, though; I had my hands full running cable cutter parts.

These acrylic pens are very flashy! I would probably end up with flashy toothpicks, as noted by Lily.
JessieR

Re: Lathe work

Post by JessieR »

Its been a while sence anyone has posted here but I thought I'd give it a try. You do beautiful work Donna. It has been many years sense I've done any serious lathe work. The last project I made was a wine goblet out of black walnut. Woodshop was not a class girls took at my school so all the boys teased me. That was until they saw how well I knew my way around the shop. I took first place at the county fair with that goblet.

I really love your work. A few years back my wife bought me a pen which was made from a corn cob. Its a wonderful pen and great conversation piece. Do you still turn? Wood that is. I once said that to an old friend who crossdressed and she said yes. Then she began to tell me her favorite skirts she likes to turn in. She mistook turning for twirling. LOL

Thank you for sharing. Look for my post. I do woodcarving.

JessieR
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Re: Lathe work

Post by DonnaT »

I would still be turning, but I need to change the light bulbs in the shop. I put that task off after my ankle operation, and then got lazy.
DonnaT