Mr.Bill ... You Got It Backwards / We Are *NOT* Machines

Do you have a creative side, such as writing stories, songs, poetry or more? Share it here so we can all enjoy it!

Moderator: KimberlyS

Marda
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Marda »

Preface - International Edition *RE-Posted From Off_Topics*
Having perused the earlier thread on "Corporations" ... this thread is opened with the intent of casting *New* light on "modern" corporate rationale ... it is my contention that Conventional Wisdom" is just plain *WRONG* :mrgreen:

It is based on fundamentally invalid, seriously outdated, and extremely dangerous assumptions :twisted:

We, as CD/TGs, as "Green" people, :mrgreen: together with like-minded people have a rare opportunity to stand on some very strong and progressive shoulders ... to participate with other social innovators ... to alter humanity's course by exploiting contemporary thinking and technologies ... to advance Lynn Conway's vision for the good of Mother Earth and her Children =D>

Following is an outline reflecting 1) the nature of the problem, 2) an assessment / argument illustrating the root problem / solution, and 3) a major component of the required mindset

CD/TGs inherently *Believe* that fundamental change is *Necessary*, and we *Can* *Make* the *World* a *Better* and more *Human* place to *Live* =D>

As usual, challenges, debate, discussion is invited by *all* Forum Members ... anyone presently satisfied with the way the WOM operates, please feel free to pass and continue searching for a better alignment with your opposite polarity :mrgreen:

1) MardaSpeak
For over a decade, while Lynn Conway and her peers were engineering the foundation for modern computing, Mr.Spaceman (my "constant companion") and I travelled a "wide area network" for a major multi-national corporation

By day we supported the corporation's transition from manual, to emerging *and* ultra-expensive automated business processing and communications systems ... evenings, I, Marda, (secretly of course) lived in the lap of luxury ... sleeping in the best hotels ... dining in fine style, and dressing in a splendid selection of delightful lingerie and loungewear 8)

Working through command line interfaces on globally networked "big iron", it was quite exciting to abandon telex and typewriters and carry one of the early laptops ... a 386-33 DOS machine with 20 meg Hdrive was considered a "hotrod" ... "diddling" with a 1200 baud modem to connect from a remote location was still mostly a "black art" :mrgreen:

... Mr.Bill's "Empire" was still his wildest dream

*Fast Forward* >>>

Recently, on a longhaul flight, I was sickened by the airline magazine's "Empire" advert depicting a large office full of ecstatic, corporate executive "robots" celebrating their latest and greatest triumph over humanity :twisted:

Quote "Introducing the new ("Empire Corporate") System. Don't let having multiple offices in multiple time zones get in the way of greatness. Now, you can get together in team sites and shared work spaces that allow you to easily collaborate within password-protected sites. So now you're not just a team. ...

.. You're a finely tuned *MACHINE*." [-X [-X

2) "THINK TWICE ABOUT HIRING MBAs"

Quoted From (Toronto) Globe and Mail
An article By DAVID TICOLL / Wednesday, Jul 7,2004

"McGill University celebrity management professor Henry Mintzberg says in a new book that MBA programs train the wrong people in the wrong ways, with negative "and sometimes disastrous" consequences.

While not exactly a dockside page-turner, "Managers Not MBAs" can fire up enough adrenalin for a spurt of exercise or barbecue-side debate. More important, it ought to make people think twice about hiring a raft of young, fresh MBA grads - or pursuing such a course for yourself.

Prof. Mintzberg's target is the conventional MBA full-time programs for inexperienced people, generally in their twenties. MBAs ostensibly prepare students for general management, but he argues that they actually teach analytical techniques for specific business functions such as finance, operations, marketing and information technology. This approach to training managers is rooted in the 20th-century myth of scientific management - an idea first proclaimed by Frederick Taylor in 1911 that there is "one best way" to run a business operation. If Mr. Taylor was right, you could train managers early in life, just as you train physicians, scientists or accountants.

But, argues Prof. Mintzberg, the opposite is true. Management is neither science nor profession. It's practice, the activity of leadership in a specific situation at a point in time. By definition, you can't teach management to young, inexperienced people. In fact, teaching is the wrong word. To play on a popular phrase: It's about learning, stupid. =D> =D>

People learn to manage in real situations, aided, perhaps, by the right kinds of coaching and support. Managers handle residual messes - the tough problems and complicated relationships - that remain after the easy stuff, the functional analysis, is done. The practice of management, Prof. Mintzberg says, is fundamentally "soft" which is why we commonly apply labels such as experience, intuition, judgment and wisdom to it. =D> =D>

So what, you might say. Even if MBAs don't really learn to manage, don't they still acquire practical facts and analytic skills?

Prof. Mintzberg responds that MBA grads join a fast track to strategic influence and corporate leadership. The problem is not just that MBAs are inexperienced. It's that their impatient, analysis-based, bottom-line elitism has corrupted our managerial practices, organizations and social institutions. :twisted:

"MBA programs", Prof. Mintzberg says "are not solely responsible for all the dysfunctional aspects of managing we now see around us, from the exaggerated executive compensation schemes and the failed strategies and mergers to the scandals of dishonest corporate behaviour, all indicative of a demise of leadership. A hyped-up business press and questionable consulting practices have contributed, too. But they have done so in conjunction with the educational programs, which have both legitimized and encouraged some of the very behaviours they should be challenging." :twisted:

Prof. Mintzberg backs up this contention with data. He points out that MBA grads gravitate to consulting and investment banking - industries that specialize in analysis and technique, withlittle responsibility for the consequences. Fortune reported that the five employers most preferred by 2003 MBA candidates came from these two industries. Enron hired 250 new MBAs a year during the 1990s. Ten of the 19 1990 Harvard MBAs who made it to CEO were clear failures (their company went bankrupt, they were forced out of the CEO chair, a major merger backfired, and so on). :twisted:

To this I'd add my observation of the era when Stanford MBA pseudo-entrepreneurs who hadn't yet mastered the art of shaving colluded with slightly more adept investment bankers (also MBAs) to shill the MBA notion of the supremacy of shareholder value. :twisted:

In a mini-study of my own I found that only one CEO in the 10 biggest of The Globe and Mail Top 1,000 Canadian companies sports an MBA (Richard Waugh of Scotiabank). Most got into business and climbed to the top with little more than an undergraduate degree. Gordon Nixon of Royal Bank of Canada has a bachelor of commerce. Tony Comper of Bank of Montreal has a BA in English. Gwyn Morgan of EnCana is an engineer (he also took an "executive business program" at Cornell). BCE's Michael Sabia sports graduate degrees from Yale — in economics and politics. Not coincidentally, I'd suggest, these men have done relatively well on measures of corporate performance and good governance.

After 150 pages, Prof. Mintzberg's uncharacteristically serious critique may wear thin. Take heart and stick with it for the solution: an eloquent and inspiring description of a so-called International Masters in Practicing Management (IMPM) program that Prof. Mintzberg co-initiated and delivers in five two-week modules in five countries (Britain, Canada, India, Japan and Switzerland) over 16 months.

IMPM, as its name implies, is exclusively for practising managers, typically in mid-career. It covers many of the same bases as a traditional executive education program for high-potential managers, and includes its share of reading and homework, but that's only part of the story. The program is heavily laden with reflection on participants' actual experiences and challenges; immersion in the places, cultures and peoples of its varied geographic sites; industrial site visits and problem analysis; and "white" time that allows participants to shape their own interchange. The result actually does seem to produce more effective managers who are wiser and more world-aware.

Here too the proof is in the pudding, namely retention rates. A few years ago I worked with a company ranked among the best in Canada as a place to work. It was profiled in a major publication; the laudatory interview was with a rising star who had just completed a company-sponsored executive MBA. However, within two months he'd abandoned this "best employer" for the competition. Such tales are all too common, but Prof. Mintzberg cites the opposite experience. Precisely because the IMPM helps their human development and focuses on real workplace inquiry, only a tiny minority of graduates have so far jumped ship from their employers.

"Managers Not MBAs" is an inspiring and insightful book. It will revolutionize your thinking about what makes management education tick." =D> =D>

dticoll@globeandmail.ca

3) "PERSISTENCE"
"Think & Grow Rich"
by Napolean Hill

"The basis of persistence is the power of will ...

The majority of people are ready to throw their aims and purposes overboard, and give up at the first sign of opposition or misfortune. A few carry on despite all opposition, until they attain their goal ...

There may be no heroic connotation to the word "persistence", but it is to the character of man what carbon is to steel ...

Lack of persistence is one of the major causes of failure :(

Sometimes it appears that there is a hidden *Guide* whose duty is to test men through all sorts of discouraging experiences. Those who pick themselves up after defeat and keep on trying, arrive; and the world cries, "Bravo! I knew you could do it!" The hidden *Guide* lets no one enjoy great achievement without passing the persistence test. Those who can't take it simply do not make the grade :(

Those who can "take it" are bountifully rewarded for their persistence. They receive as their compensation, whatever goal they are pursuing. That is not all! They receive something infinetly more important than material compensation - the knowledge that "every failure brings with it the seed of an equivalent advantage." =D> =D>

Broadway will give an beggar a cup of coffee and a sandwich, but it demands persistence of those who go after the big stakes :mrgreen:

Kate Smith will say "amen" when she reads this. For years she sang without money, and without price, before any microphone she could reach. Broadway said to her, "Come and get it if you can take it." She did take it until one happy day Broadway got tired and said, "Aw, what's the use? You don't know when you're whipped, so name your price, and go to work in earnest." Miss Smith named her price. It was plenty.
=D> =D> =D>

Love / Marda
[-o<
~ Some drink at the fountain of knowledge - Others just gargle ~
Marda
Miss Golden Goddess

*CAUTION* / THIS_*STINKER*_DOES_*NOT*_SELL

Post by Marda »

:roll: Reposted from Off Topics =D>
*WARNING* ... :twisted: *Extremely* Poor Ratings :twisted: Absolutely *Not* Entertaining [-X
:-k
#-o / Marda
[-o<
Kersten Lee
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Kersten Lee »

Hi Marda,
From what I have experienced, read, and seen I agree pretty much with the article. Our small division has consistently produced the largest net earnings margins of any of the other divisions in our international company. We all have been family for years and years in our operation.

Instead of looking at our social structure and how we made things work and how we produced such big profits, hired consultants are working to make us machines. Moral the last two years has went to the basement.
No one gets consideration anymore to take care of personal and family needs, emergencies and requirements. People hate being treated like a number on the ledger sheet. People are learning to come and offer only the minimum requirements to survive. To excel now means a dressing down for rocking the machine. The new policy now is do only exactly what is required and no more. People that wore their bodies out in diligent and family like loyalty to the company are now harassed as if they are a liability to the company. The years of know how and experience now are nothing as the decisions are made by people that have absolutely no understanding about the jobs they are directly controling. Not firing, but to threat to fire is now the new motivater. It is no more the sense of community that inspired us to help those weaker, and work harder for each other as we knew each other's families. We all knew the necessity and need to complete jobs on time with quality products as all our lives and jobs required it.

All that is almost gone. We go to get a check and pray we can survive one more day of humiliation. Were the previous 30 years smooth? Absolutely not. Was every day a day of peace and satisfaction? No. The problem is the great days are getting so few. They don't balance the bad anymore because of this "degrading men as machines management method".

I'm sure some will say quit. All the jobs we hear about aren't here. Jobs are scarce, low pay and most without benefits. The two other industries in town have followed the same managing methods. Regardless of some political spin, not everyone is qualified to be president of the USA nor are there enough presidential openings for 300 million of us. Nor can all of us get the juicy job that the CEO of Enron had. If we could have, we too could squirrel away a few million off shore for our own retirement nest egg. We need those janitors and workers at Walmart too, to live the American dream. Is it all about power and greed? All those that remind us of their Christian ethics almost daily, I would like to read the bible that they have. It must be a special limited edition only available to those that can buy their way to Heaven. I am sorry I made such a sweeping statement. There are wealthy people who do use their wealth for betterment of humanity.

The best I have been able to do lately is to treat those around me like I would want them to treat me. I hope I didn't cause anyone harm here on the forum because of my rant.

Delete if need be if this is inflammatory.

Kersten
Marda
Miss Golden Goddess

KERSTEN LEE 4 PRESIDENT !!!!!

Post by Marda »

Hi Kersten Lee [-o<

*THANK YOU* soooooooo much for your *Experience*, *Thoughts* & *Feelings* on this issue
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

I'm *Holding* & *Hanging* onto every syllable of your words [-o<

In *My* heart, as long as I *think* there is one (1) other person in the world who *Understands* and *Sees* this *Deplorable* Situation as I do, I'm energized to fight on against this *DESPIKABLE* , *KANCEROUS* *KORRUPTION* :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Kaveat : This "unearthly" Kondition has been "in development" for almost 100 years ... the "InKumbents" will not give up easily

*THIS* is *WHY* *I'VE* been *Ranting* about the WOM and the importance of Kalling on Higher POWERZ ... [-o< [-o< [-o<

Well leave it there 4 now so as not to unnecessarily ruffle any FunkyChickenFeatherZ :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Your thoughts have been transferred to a *protekted* site and are safe in the arms of the Higher Power as we speak 8) :lol: =D> [-o<

Don't you worry my Dear Kersten Lee [-o<

Our Krys are not unheard [-o<

Love / Marda
[-o<