The Boiled Egg

Do you have a creative side, such as writing stories, songs, poetry or more? Share it here so we can all enjoy it!

Moderator: KimberlyS

Danielle La Belle
Account Deactivated at Member's Request

The Boiled Egg

Post by Danielle La Belle »

Hi Girls:

Bare with me..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: oops... I mean bear with me for a minute.

The lowly boiled egg.

How many times have you wanted to take that hard-to-peel boiled egg and fling it against the nearest wall! Or, when you finally get it peeled, well, the yoke is green....yuk! When making deviled eggs and alike, the yoke should have a nice deep yellow consistency, not green!

You are going to need fresh potable water and 5 large eggs.
You may substitute the egg size but not the water quality.

01. Find a nice aluminum sauce pan, 1quart size is good.
02. Find that handy glass lid that correctly fits the chosen saucepan.
03. Fill pan with water leaving about 1inch from top available.
04. Place the eggs into the saucepan. Water should be room temperature not heating on the stove...!
05. Place the saucepan on the stove. Gas or electric. (I use gas).
06. Turn on the stove to medium heat,,,,not high please.
07. Cover the saucepan with the lid.
08. Set a timer for 10 minutes.................................
dum-dee-dum....dum-dee-dum...... times up.
09. Check the water to see if it is still just heating, it should not be boiling.
10. Set the timer for about 3 minutes. Do this until you see water just start to boil. Usually after 14 minutes total time.
11. With water just starting to boil big bubbles, lower heat to low. Set timer for 8 minutes.
12. End of timer 8 minutes. Turn off heat. Leave in pan for 1 minute and no heat.
13. End of one minute period. Begin to add cool water over sink slowly.
14. Do not cool to fast. Eggs should not have cracked if you did all the above. One might crack do to a weakness in the shell.
15. 5 minute cool period on stove.
16. Drain water.
17. Place eggs on dry hand towel.
18. Take a fine laundry marker and put date on each egg shell.
19. Place in egg tray of refrigerater.
20. Mark on the tray BOILED EGGS....
21. That is where you will put your boiled eggs. Yes, you can spin an egg to see if it is boiled or not.
22. Take one egg. Wet under running water. Crack and peel slowly.
23. Use a trickle of running water to help peel egg if needed.
24. Cut egg in half. Tada! Yellow yoke! \:D/
25. Done....
................................................................................................
01. Deviled eggs.
02. Take several eggs from the boiled area of refrigerator.
03. Slice each egg length wise carefully.
04. Separate yokes from whites and place whites in your handy dandy plastic egg tray that has a nice snap-on cover for you to keep things fresh and clean while transporting to the party.
05. Mash up yokes in bowl. Pinch of salt. Add mayonaise , a spoon at a time to you get a nice consistency, not runny. Add a little pickle juice from the dill pickel jar you have in the refrig. This gives a nice zip to the egg paste.
06. Take a spoon and dollip it into each egg white half. (Taste test first - and paleezze do not put that spoon back into the egg paste! Get a clean spoon to finish the job.
07. Sprinkle a little cinnamon (oopps! - paprika please) on each egg filling for color.
08. DONE....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***()***

Great Job girls!

Hugs

Danielle Marie
Last edited by Danielle La Belle on Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make the most of every day!
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Hmmmm. . .I'll have to follow your recipe the next time I make hard-boiled eggs.

I've always used Paprika on the Deviled Eggs for coloring . . . never heard of anyone using Cinnamon before. :-k

*Hugs*

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Danielle La Belle

oooppps!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Did I say cinnamon?....

Yes, yes, Paprika....!

Thank You SL....

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

You're very welcome, Danielle! :)

Save your Cinnamon for your spaghetti sauce - it helps to neutralize the acidity of the tomatoes, and works far better than does sugar. Just passing on an old Italian tradition . . . but I'm sure that Jeannie, being so much older than I and a far better cook, will have even more Italian secrets to pass along. :shock: :roll: :P

:kisscheek:

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Carol Ann
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carol Ann »

HUM green yokes??,
We get nothing but fresh eggs (.50 doz.) and yes you will get a green egg or two but they taste the same to this gal. Sorry but living in the country you get's what you get's :P
Danielle La Belle

Hi Carol Ann:

I see that we have a funny girl in the forum. :lol:

We are talkin' about over boiling your eggs until the yokes have a green cast to them. Not green eggs to start with Hon! Ha ha LOL. :lol:

You want nice, warm, soft, but firm, yellow yokes after the boil down. ($ 0.79/doz) gets you the traddional white corporate farm egg.

Brown eggs from the farm, yes. Green? Never heard of them except on St. Patricks Day! :lol: :lol:

Hugs

Danielle Marie
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

SilverLady(SO) wrote: Save your Cinnamon for your spaghetti sauce - it helps to neutralize the acidity of the tomatoes, and works far better than does sugar. Just passing on an old Italian tradition . . . but I'm sure that Jeannie, being so much older than I and a far better cook, will have even more Italian secrets to pass along.
Never tried cinnamon in spaghetti sauce. Now, powdered cloves I have.
DonnaT