Stupid Cults...

Game time!! Let's have some fun playing games that were started by various members of the forum. Feel free to start one of your own!

Moderator: KimberlyS

Eloise Goth
Permanently Banned

Stupid Cults...

Post by Eloise Goth »

what cult films have you seen after others have raved about them only to be disappointed?
'Easy Rider' is, in my humble opinion, the most over-rated film.. poor script, awful acting, amateurish directing...
I'm sure you girls have other films you've thoguht didnt live up to the hype.

(and how many of you looked at this thread thinking I made a typo with the title??)
And you thought I was dead.
Tracy
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Tracy »

The two Matrix sequels come to mind.
Carolynn
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carolynn »

Plan Nine from Outer Space!!

Well, no, it only became a cult classic when everyone agreed it was one of the most terrible movies in the World. Ever. :lol: Right along with the Giant Claw. :lol:
"It’s not given to anyone to have no regrets; only to decide, through the choices we make, which regrets we’ll have,"
David Weber – In Fury Born
Alexandra
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Alexandra »

You have to give certain filmmakers a break. Easy Riders was made on a low budget and no big studio backing. The independent filmmakers took all the $$$ risk. Of course, there is no excuse for a bad story, but its one of the things one looks for.

On the other hand, big studio productions (and big stars appearing in) like Pluto Nash and Battlefield Earth (yep, that's you Eddie Murphy and John Travolta) that are total stinkers deserve all the bad criticism -- they had the $$$ and blew it.

Try not to knock "Plan 9", it was made by a CD! :lol: 8)
Alexandra
Elizabeth
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Elizabeth »

Eloise Goth,

I know this may surprise you, and many others here, but I absolutely hated "The Rocky Horror Picture Show". I did not realize it was an "Audience Participation" film and did not like not being able to hear the movie, and not knowing or understanding what everyone was saying in the threatre. Not to mention, I just did not find it funny.

I asked for my money back and at first they refused. He told me it was an "audience participation" movie. I asked him where it said that before you pay? I told him that I was unable to watch the movie because of an disruptive audience, and he charged me knowing this but not telling me. So he gave me my money back.

I then went again at the urging of my drummer who said I just needed to get into the spirit it of the "experience". Until the rain scene when two guys behind me squirted me with spray bottles. I got up, walked back to thier row, and walked right up to them. I had a big smile on and asked if I could use thier spray bottles. They said "sure" at which point I squirted both of them in the face at point blank until it for sure was not funny any more.

I then told them they should be careful who they squirt without knowing them. They both assured me in the future they would take caution. I then got up, and left and again demanded my money back. The manager refused. I mean until I told him I was calling the police to file an assault charge. He then refunded my money.

I know, it is the holy grail of crossdressers movies, but I didn't like it. Since then I have seen it on TV, but have such bad emotions about it, I enjoy hating it.

Oh well?

Love always,
Elizabeth
Alexandra
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Alexandra »

Interesting enough, it took a long time before I warmed up to Rocky Horror . . . and now I've my own DVD copy and watch it about once a year! 8)
Alexandra
Curly(SO)
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Curly(SO) »

After reading some good reviews about Big Fish, I dragged Ed along to see it....OMG it left me stone cold...I mean WHAT WAS that about???!!!!
Me and were tempted to walk out but the cinema we were in had the exit near the front, didn't want to walk out past everybody, so we both had a little kip instead!

Now Ed refuses to go to any film I suggest we go to see! (The previous one to that being Love, Actually...nuff said :wink: )

Curly(SO)
Eloise Goth
Permanently Banned

Post by Eloise Goth »

In addition to 'easy rider', I've never been able to work out whats so pecial about Tarrentino films, especially reservoir dogs.
Chantelle
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Chantelle »

I know, it is the holy grail of crossdressers movies, but I didn't like it. Since then I have seen it on TV, but have such bad emotions about it, I enjoy hating it.
I did not like it either. Maybe I am missing something? Resevoir Dogs was also a disappointment and a little too violent for me. Would the Mad Max series be considered cultish?

My favorite weird movie? "How to get ahead in advertising".
Lorna
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Lorna »

Easy Rider! Yikes! I have to agree, hon... :?
Live it. Love it. OWN IT.
Jessie
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Jessie »

HOw about the evil dead movies. I remember seeing them and feeling is this a horror film or a comedy????

Jessie
Alexandra
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Alexandra »

Eloise Goth wrote:In addition to 'easy rider', I've never been able to work out whats so pecial about Tarrentino films, especially reservoir dogs.

Maybe I can help. :)

I don't care for gun play and a lot of violence especially if it is avoidable in the story, but having said that, Reservoir Dogs was smart moving making made for next to nothing. One can't help be impressed with what he did for so little. Certainly a huge inspiration to filmmakers everywhere.

Later, Pulp Fiction was made for a lot of money. This film too succeeded for the inspired filmmaking -- none of that standard Hollywood fare here. A lot of violence, yes, but GREAT filmmaking.

Again, its the same thing with Kill Bill (man, I'm tired of swordfights!), GREAT filmmaking.

Its too bad that Quintin Tarentino is obsessed with guns and swords. I'd like to see him put his talents to work on something entirely different for a change. But as far as filmmaking goes, he's the one we aspire to be!
Alexandra
Alexandra
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Alexandra »

Big Fish was waaayyyy too cuckoo for me. Probably make cult film status someday!

Yes, I'd say the Mad Max movies would fall in the Cult Film Bin.
Alexandra
Beauty
Retired Site Administrator

Post by Beauty »

Uh oh.. lol.. I liked Big Fish.

It was so full of imagination! :) I especially liked the end of the movie. I guess I liked it most because it was about a son learning to accept his father for who he was and not who he wanted him to be.

Please.. don't pelt me with rocks and garbage. :mrgreen:

Beauty
Eloise Goth
Permanently Banned

Post by Eloise Goth »

Alexandra wrote:big studio productions (and big stars appearing in) like Pluto Nash and Battlefield Earth (yep, that's you Eddie Murphy and John Travolta) that are total stinkers deserve all the bad criticism
'Battlefield Earth' is on tv here in the UK tonight...I may try watching it if I have enough to drink/smoke beforehand.