came across some in Reader's Digest.

We all like jokes, humor and other funny stuff, so let's lighten things up a bit with a few laughs (or groans, as the case may be)!!

Moderator: KimberlyS

Virginia
Goddess of the Universe

came across some in Reader's Digest.

Post by Virginia »

Questions on Yahoo:
1. Can I safely look at a picture of the sun?
2. How can I be sure I am my child's mother? (some people should not breed!) just my opinion.
3. How do you get spaghetti stains out of underwear? - don't even go there!

Woman's Bowling League Team: "Can't Believe Its Not Gutter!"

Facebook:
"I can't stand people that don't know the difference between your and you"re. There so dumb!"
response: "Their, their, calm down!"

"Is it me or does nobody have manors these days?"
response, "Not me, I just rent!"

Finally - true story as I was present when this happened: Lawyer called a witness to the stand. He asked the witness a question. Witness replied to question. "I object!" said the lawyer! Court sat in stunned silence until the judge was able to grasp what he had just heard and shaking his head, told the lawyer, "Sir, you can not object to your own witness's answer!" Where do these guys get their licenses? From Kellogg for 2 box tops and .25!

One more a bit closer to home? Topic of a student essay, "The Importance of Trust, Camaraderie and Toughness among Football Players: "After all you don't want a bunch of --------- ready for this ------------ -----pre-Madonnas out there on the field."
First star to the right, then straight on 'till mornin!
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Re: came across some in Reader's Digest.

Post by DonnaT »

was that a college essay?
DonnaT
Sarah Beth
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Sarah Beth »

My wife finally retired from teaching when she was informed by the Superintendent informed her that the shcool board had decided that she to let the students use calculators to do their their math with. That would include the ones programed so that all you had to do was punch in the numbers and which formula you needed. In her science classes she had to allow the students to work in groups of four and some of them never did any of their own work and she had to give them a group grade.

No days every one uses some sort of word processor with spell check and so they trust in that and never proof read. So there and their are both accepted, there are other words as well like that.

All this texting and tweeting and using the slang and people just can't spell anymore. Not that I am perfect but I do hate to get an email or whatever with all those abbreviations in it or full of mispelled words.
"It takes all kinds of kinds"
Miranda Lambert
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Sarah Beth wrote:No days every one uses some sort of word processor with spell check and so they trust in that and never proof read. So there and their are both accepted, there are other words as well like that.
Sarah Beth -

I believe you meant to write "Now days" and not "No days", right? #-o :P ))ok((

Bad spelling and grammar are my pet peeves and I despise using 'texting shortcuts' in any post (exceptions being LOL, ROFLMAO and the like). There are several 'grammar check' software sites and programs available online as well as for spelling; sadly most people who really need to use them do not.

Another pet peeve: the incorrect use of punctuation, especially the $ and # signs, such as 10$ when it should be $10, or incorrectly using the number sign (#) which is also the pound sign when it is behind the number: #1 (number 1) and not 1# (1 pound). -,,-

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Ms. Erin
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Ms. Erin »

I like reading your post, dear Virginia.

I run into examples like this from all kind of people, you should see some at my work. There is one guy who ask me at least once in a week how to write something, and he is a real American. I do ask my kids sometimes when they text me to please explain there abbreviations or slain.

I always like to write anything I write online, whether its on a forum or on my website, in the best way I can. I always re-read my text before I post it, however I do sometimes depend on the spellchecker. Now I am originally from the Netherlands so my sentences "grammar" is usually written in the way I am used to in Dutch, before translation. So placement of words are different. The same with numbers and especially dates, like Silver Lady mentioned.

For example, we write day-month-year, instead of month-day-year, and this still confuses me. So I always write the month in the middle instead of a number, 15 Nov 2014

I understand by living in the USA, which I do proudly, I practice the changes and adopt the language. But at times it can still be "difficult". (and so is the SAE versus metric system)

Erin.

PS I know there are lots of errors in my post, but you should see me in a chat room, when there is no time for spell and grammar check. :shock:
I am a woman of trans experience.
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

:twisted:

Nowadays or Now a days
DonnaT
Kelly
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Kelly »

I have a confession to make. I can't spell my way out of a paper bag. It is not for lack of trying, when I was in grammar school, I spent more time studying for the weekly spelling test than all the rest of my homework. When I did my thesis, I went through it backwards twice - with dictionary in hand before handing over to two prof readers. They had a field day.

In the early 80's I wrote a spell check program, just so my writing wouldn't be ridiculed.

It is not for lack of trying. Certainly not for lack of trying or lack of care for my readers. That set of skills just isn't there in lieu of other skills. I can solve math problems that others struggle over with one arm tied behind my back. Just a trade off in individual capabilities.

Anybody going into a job interview saying that they were spelling or math averse would not get called back. If they said they were math adverse, the interview would probably say 'yea, me too'.

Having said all that, I do have my peeves. When someone says "presently" (which means about to happen) when they mean "currently" I get so distracted that I totally miss the point. Then there is the large subpopulation that doesn't know how to conjugate the verb "see", as in "I seen him leave the building early". That is a direct quote of a high school teacher!!!!
I thought a CD was something you stuck in a computer
Virginia
Goddess of the Universe

Post by Virginia »

The things I see, read and hear, sometimes make my ears bleed!!!! I read about what is taught and not taught in the schools and it concerns me. Then I go to WalMart and it all makes sense!

Virginia
First star to the right, then straight on 'till mornin!
Cathey
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Cathey »

:mrgreen: lets face it .
we've gotten lazy
and we're not stmulating the brain.
computers do a lo6t for us
so we don't have to think.

used to do trig in my head. but after years of computers
it's hard now
:-k
Joan Grey
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Joan Grey »

"I can't stand people that don't know the difference between your and you"re. There so dumb!"
response: "Their, their, calm down!"

As in "You know your manure." or "You know you're manure."