Casablanca

Talk about anything else: your pets, your car, movies, celebrities, or other things you like. As a reminder, political and religious discussions do not belong in here, nor any other topics that may incite a heated debate! As always keep it clean, please.

Moderators: KimberlyS, Celia

OliviaM
Miss Platinum Goddess

Casablanca

Post by OliviaM »

Getting ready to go to a lecture and a Q And A about the Movie being more than just a love story. Then there will be a screening of the movie on a big screen. Since my wife is going I will try to be good and not do any lines, sing "As Time Goes By" or the "LA Marseillaise", or embarrass her too much. I was very good at "Braveheart" a few weeks ago. Any opportunity to these classic movies on a big screen as they were meant to be seen I just cannot pass up.
Robyn
Miss Platinum Goddess

Re: Casablanca

Post by Robyn »

Sounds like a good time Olivia... and behave yourself, lol.
Normal, just not average,
Robyn
Martha G
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Martha G »

One of my all time favorite films!

Behave yourself!
I AM NOW A WOMAN- I FOUND MYSELF
OliviaM
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by OliviaM »

Sorry but a little technology challenged for a while and work has been busy. It was really a great experience it is such a great film. It is funny you mentioned good behavior, Robyn. A guy I graduated HS with said he doesn't understand the concept of me and good behavior. LOL. I told him my boss doesn't either. And I was good only a half arm raise with a quiet Vive la France after the anthem. Then made it home for the season finale of Downton Abbey. A good night.
April Rose
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by April Rose »

Olivia, your story brings back memories of when my wife and I sort of got in trouble for singing "La Marseillaise".

In the early eighties we were living in Brookline, Massachusetts, in a third story apartment above some Algerian exchange students. They were nice guys, and we got along well, and sometimes even partied together. I remember one of them even borrowed one of "my wife's" ;) dresses as a halloween costume. Anyway, one night we had a particularly wonderful time at a french bistro; Escargot, Beef Wellington, puff pastry, a nice cabernet, and even an interesting conversation with the gay couple at the next table. (How often when eating out, do you end up conversing with people at the next table? Not often, in my experience.) So it was kind of a magical night.

Yeah, we were buzzed. And, ascending our back stairs we sang loudly; "Allons enfants de la pa-TRI- IA"....when the back door of the Algerians apartment flies open ,and there is Nourdinne, glaring at us, with fire in his eyes!

He saw that it was us, and closed the door, and we talked about it the next time we got together. Apparently, while they recognized their connections with France, they didn't think the French treated them all that well. They made it clear that it was nothing that should come between us, but it just goes to show, I guess, what a complicated world it can be.
I am a vessel of the Goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.
Toni_Lynn_P
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Toni_Lynn_P »

My wife and I are big fans of classic film. In fact, we watch almost no 'network' TV, with Turner Classic Movies being what our satellite dish is tuned to most often.

We both love film noir. One of my favourite DVD sets we have is 'Bad Girls of Film Noir'. Between that and the low budget teen 'juvenile delinquent' movies of the 1950s, and I am totally enthralled as I sit there watching imagining that I am one of the 'dames' or 'broads' in the film noir stuff, of one of the girls in the 'juvenile delinquent' movies -- bullet bras to forefront!

Hugs

Toni-Lynn
OliviaM
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by OliviaM »

That's a great story, April. I really wish I could do all the words to the anthem and really do the scene. And at least they were good neighbors. Yes Toni I so do love TMC but do not watch as much as I should. And I have a good collection of classics from the 30's through the 50's in various genres. So many great ones and so little time.
DanielleM
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by DanielleM »

Oh what a great, classic movie. Romance, betrayal, intrigue, drama! It's lots more than a love story.
Don't worry about what other people think, because they don't.
OliviaM
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by OliviaM »

You are very right Danielle. In fact, there was a lecture before the screening that explained and was titled just that. And it wasn't just the resistance and the concentration camps in the movie, a lot of the background actors as well as some of the speaking roles were filled by people fleeing Europe from the Nazis. It was an interesting and great night. We also met an 88 year old woman from the Bronx and talked a lot about NY. She mentioned a word I hadn't heard in a while that brought back memories. An Egg Cream!! Can't get more NY than that.