Movie, American Graffiti, a great classic movie.

Talk about anything else: your pets, your car, movies, celebrities, or other things you like. As a reminder, political and religious discussions do not belong in here, nor any other topics that may incite a heated debate! As always keep it clean, please.

Moderators: KimberlyS, Celia

Lacey Hadley
Miss Emerald Goddess

Movie, American Graffiti, a great classic movie.

Post by Lacey Hadley »

Just watched my Bluray copy of American Graffiti. It is quite simply a great movie. Watching this movie for one makes me wish I could trip back in time to have experienced said era (early 60's) to experience young life, young heart and young love in a simpler time.

Social media of that time was, THE DRIVE IN DINER. IMO much better human interest social media than Facebook or Twitter. Add seeing the classic cars makes this movie so cool. A great cast of especially young then Hollywood upstart actors and actresses. Suzan Sommers in a cameo role, but Cindy Williams and Mackenzie Phillips both were so cute and adorable in the movie. Candy Clark was a very cute and more edgy character in the movie.

The guy in me enjoyed the girls and the cars, the CD'er loved seeing the clothes, hair and make up the girls all sported in the movie.

All in all one of my top ten movies. :thumbsup:
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. Ayn Rand
Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

Re: Movie, American Graffiti, a great classic movie.

Post by Anne Bonny »

Wishing times were simpler? I remember growing up through the decade of the 1960's

I was born in March of 1957...making me 6 in 1963...11 in 1969. But I did experience and live through the 60's. I had two sisters and a wayward brother. I remember the cars, they were just cars and primarily american cars back then. America was a very powerful and free country but in the midst of turmoil and change.

There were rotary phones, 3 main broadcasters and radio. Music was a driver of culture as much as business and social standards of the times. What did we do for fun? Color television became available...the Monkeys TV Show for the kids and teens...The beatles. I built a model of the Monkey Mobile, and the Yellow Submarine. I lived along this very same part of the Gulf Coast but with Dad in the Military we spent time in Northern Illinois, then in Sacramento CA before returning to the east coast.

Times were different we actually got involved and did things because there was no internet no cell phones we had pay phones but once you left the house all you had was the car radio... so people went places and did things! In the early 60's my parents had an old shrimp boat they converted to a pleasure boat and we spent time on the water and visiting the barrier islands and fishing. I learned to play golf, participated in a golf tournament as a 9 y/o, I participated in a fishing rodeo, I made my own skim board and spent many afternoons sliding over the flats at low tide. In California we had a swimming pool and I spent many days in the pool and I had a very dark tan. I had a skateboard with metal wheels and banged my head...no helmets! Road my bike. Went to car shows in Sacramento to see the Red Barron Mobile...The Pink Panther mobile and other wild creations...went to San Francisco, even got to visit Hawaii space A...Oh and I remember standing on the beach outside the Hilton on Waikiki beach and listening to a powerful rendition of Aquarius being sung...This is the dawning of the Age of....

In my mind I remember a sandy beach area somewhere and seeing a convertible sports car parked out there with the top down and listening to appropriate music popular that summer playing in our very special country.

I remember seeing my sisters and being with them so I experienced seeing them fix their hair with awful hair spray, curlers, and hair driers they plugged into the wall with a cap they put on their head connected to the drier by a tube! I also remember being with them at a dance put on in the local Elk's club lots of teens with rock music of the early 60's playing and dancing...no we weren't in black and white but easily could have been as color television did not really start coming on the scene until after 1965 at least in our house. And of course we had no sense that this music was of the "early 60's" it was the latest music there was...whatever was popular at the time. but I was only about 4 at the time and my sisters friends told me I was cute. My dad was overseas flying in Nam so I lived a year as the only male in the house we were renting on the beach ...that house was washed away by Hurricane Camille in 1969 after we had moved to Sacramento California. There I learned how California is where trends started that crossed the country to the East Coast we were on the leading edge of social changes.

It was a different time but we felt then just as we do today that we were living very much in the present just as we feel today. We witnessed technological advances, social changes so there was really no difference between then and now. Looking back it seems times were simpler, nostalgic, antiquated because our entire technological and social world has advanced so much since the 60's But we felt we were living on the cutting edge of the future.

Oh and I remember watching various space capsules and seeing astronauts in special news broadcasts, finally in 1969 seeing Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon...in that crackly recording..."That's one small step for [a]...man...one giant leap for mankind." We went out side staring up at the moon in the afternoon sky and finding it very hard to believe there were American astronauts walking around on the surface of that very same moon at that very moment...yeah they were special times.
Go with the flow
Kelly
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Kelly »

Great in sight. Social media was the Drive in.

I have my own fond memories. I do think that aspect was better, but who knows.

Great film; by the way. Watch it when ever it comes on.

This one's is for justice,

Kelly.
I thought a CD was something you stuck in a computer
Deidre Taylor
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Deidre Taylor »

Having been born in 1953 and growing up with 3 older sisters I witnessed the American Graffiti age as well as the rest of the 60's first hand. As Anne so eloquently stated it was a simpler time, well at least the first half of the 60's was. People talked to each their neighbors over the backyard fence. Social networking was the school lunchroom, the barber shop, and of course the beauty shop, yes back then they were beauty shops not salons. Growing up in Detroit foreign cars were almost unseen and those you saw were either sports cars, think MG's and Jaguars, or VW Beetles. Almost everyone had a family member who worked for the "Big 3" so American iron prevailed. The source of knowledge was the local newspaper and every big city had at least 1. I can remember when Detroit had 3 daily papers. There were not the 24 news channels of today. As a matter of fact TV stations signed off at night and all there was on the screen was a test pattern. Yes it was truly an age of innocence, particularly for teen agers for the most part. The winds of change were looming though.

Music may have been the first sign of change. Folk music started to stir ideas in American youth. Then there was the British movement, the California sound, and even Motown changed the way America's youth thought. I know in today's society it may seem silly but back in the early 60's the idea of white youth listening to "black" music was revolutionary. While all of this fanned the flames of change nothing changed the fabric of America more than the Vietnam War. I am not going to get into politics here but Vietnam changed the way much of America's youth thought and acted. For perhaps the first time teen agers parted ways politically with their parents. It pitted neighbors against their neighbors, friends against friends, and evenly sadly parents against children. Very few if any American family was left untouched by Vietnam whether it was a family member or friend's son getting their draft notice or even more tragically one dying somewhere in a country that 10 years before probably 90% of Americans didn't even know existed.

Don't get me wrong! It was a fun time to grow up, we actually knew our neighbors and many times couldn't wait to get to school in the morning so we could tell our friends something as we didn't have cell phones, texting, Twitter, etc. were not even thought of. Fashions changed and compliments of Mary Quant and Carnaby Street we got the miniskirt which spawned hot pants, both the fashion and teenaged boys reactions! :mrgreen: Of course that led to pantyhose, go-go boots and even women wearing slacks outside of their houses. Even bikini panties became popular and every teen aged girl wanted them.

To have witnessed the changes firsthand shows me where we were, where we are, and what we must do to keep us from going down the road to destruction both as a nation and a society. I have read many posts here about going back to the 50's and 60's and I know the author is referring to women's fashions but are they as ready to go back to that era of society?

BTW, American Graffiti is a classic movie and everyone should see it. Not only for the fashions, the cars and the drive-in nut also if you watch it from a plot point you may see what I am trying to say here.
Jina James
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Jina James »

I too grew up in the 60's. I've told my children on more than one occasion that if they want to understand Baby Boomers, they should watch American Graffiti.

They've watched it, but I don't know how much they really want to understand us.
Rikki
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Rikki »

My favorite, favorite movie! Not quite the fashion-extreme of Grease or Hairspray, but a true glimpse of that time in life.

I was sadly a couple years beyond the poodle-skirt era, sad that my prom dates wore straight skirted gowns rather than bouffant with crinoline and tulle.

I still remember "cruising" Main Street for hours in our small town which only had about a 5 block, 1/2 mile long "strip" to cruise. Listening to WKBW on AM radio from Buffalo.

A real social network.

Rikki
Be safe, Be frilled
Anita
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anita »

Although I enjoyed watching American Graffiti, it wasn’t for the nostalgia angle. I didn’t care much for the late fifties and early sixties. I turned 13 in 1964, and all of the sudden life went from black and white to color. The hormonal changes came, and everything made more sense to me. My athletic ability took a step up, which helped a lot in a small town where sports were all-important. I also could start talking to girls, because now the two genders were not separate camps—there was interaction going on.

As far as music went—I grew up listening to classical music. The stuff I heard on my older siblings’ radios didn’t do much for me. I liked some of the novelty songs, (“Flyin’ Purple People Eater,” “Haunted House”) and have no memory of any Chuck Berry or Jerry Lee Lewis. It wasn’t the Beatles who inspired me in ’64—it was the Kinks and the Dave Clark Five who let me know that something new was happening. Music kept me sane through high school. It wasn’t a bad time—it was just empty. I was busy doing what other people wanted me to do, and not feeling very much inside. I moved across the country, and begin to create a new life.

It is still hard for me to realize that it’s been over 50 years since I was in junior high!
Vicki OShea
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by Vicki OShea »

Totally great movie! I actually grew up on that film. Used to know darn near every line by the time I was five. :)
KymmieL
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by KymmieL »

American Graffiti is one of my favorite movies. The cars, the music just about everything.

trivia Question: What was the license plate on Milner's 32? What is it's significance?

Kymmie
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

http://lucasfilm.com/thx-1138" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AG trivia http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069704/trivia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DonnaT