Black Friday is staring us in the face again

Talk about anything else: your pets, your car, movies, celebrities, or other things you like. As a reminder, political and religious discussions do not belong in here, nor any other topics that may incite a heated debate! As always keep it clean, please.

Moderators: KimberlyS, Celia

Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Black Friday is staring us in the face again

Post by Diana Michelle »

I opened my e-mail this morning and was inundated with Black Friday ads, pre Black Friday ads, Black Friday week sales and other sundry announcements surrounding this alleged "fantastic" shopping day and its "once in a lifetime" deals. Needless to say I 86ed most of them after a quick glance. Well most of them, some got deleted without even opening them. It could drive a sane person crazy. Yes I know there are some that question my being included amongst the sane, still I think most of you know what I mean here.

All of this got me to thinking. :-k Again I know some might question my ability to do that as well but here I go anyway. :lol: Does Black Friday still carry the impact on your holiday shopping that it did in years past? Has your shopping drifted from brick and mortar to more online? Or has all the commercialization and in your face ads actually has the opposite effect?

Personally I have always loved Christmas and all associated with it, the decorations, the gifts, the parties, being with friends and family, and yes the religious side of it. I will admit some of the "pushing" of the retail industry has somewhat had an effect on me however the sight of seeing my grandchildren tearing the presents open warms my heart. I do admit over the years I do some shopping online as it is so convenient and becomes more so all the time. Still I enjoy the hustle and bustle of the stores and the shopping and finding that special something you really didn't know you were looking for.

What about the rest of you? Have you drifted to shopping online in your nightgowns with a glass of wine or another of your favorite libations handy or are you a pound the bricks person? Has all the commercialization and time taken its toll on your Christmas spirit? Last but not least do you brave Black Friday or avoid it? I do generally go out on Black Friday although I am not one of those you will find standing in a line at 0 dark thirty waiting for the store to open. As for shopping on Thanksgiving Day? Never!
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Re: Black Friday is staring us in the face again

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Oh, I definitely agree with you, as I deleted all those ads without a glance, too.

A wise and savvy shopper will get all, or most, of their shopping done throughout the year, buying items when they are on sale or via a coupon (craft stores, etc.), and get better deals at the same time than waiting for any of the 'Black Friday' sales. That said, I prefer to make my own gifts, or if I do need to buy something I prefer to shop at the locally-owned businesses (including the various thrift stores) instead of all the big-box retailers. I will by things 'after Christmas' and hold them for the following year, or used them for birthday or anniversary gifts.

I also used to work retail and everyone had to work the Black Friday weekend (we were never open on Thanksgiving Day). Never again will I go shopping that weekend; indeed, I have not done so for more than 20 years (excluding being forced to work). =; [-(

No, you won't see me at any stores during Black Friday weekend, excluding the grocery or ABC (liquor) store, that is. I have my priorities. :wink:

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Amanda R
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Amanda R »

I have never worked in retail although my sister did during college as do a couple of friends now. My sister always said her least favorite day of the year was Black Friday followed closely by the last two days before Christmas. At least back then they were closed on Thanksgiving unlike now.

I have gone shopping on Black Friday but later in the day and if it is there fine, if not oh well. I have already started my Christmas shopping but so far that has all been online. I am sure I will hit the stores sometime between now and Christmas but I try to go when the crowds are not there.
"We may have all come on different ships but we are in the same boat now."
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

I've always tried to avoid black Friday shopping. My wife got me out once. What a mess!

I try to shop brick and mortar, but a few things can only be found online.
DonnaT
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

My ex got me out once the morning of black Friday. What a zoo and it sounded like we miss a lot of it not getting there till after 9. WOW. I like to shop the brick and mortar stores but wait for after the zoo and try to shop during the week to avoid the weekend crowds. I use to work retail and people are nuts coming in those early hours. And now they start Thurday (don't get me started) or even midnight. All just to get your dollars.
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.