What bands have you seen?

Talk about anything else: your pets, your car, movies, celebrities, or other things you like. As a reminder, political and religious discussions do not belong in here, nor any other topics that may incite a heated debate! As always keep it clean, please.

Moderators: KimberlyS, Celia

Elizabeth
Miss Ruby Goddess

What bands have you seen?

Post by Elizabeth »

Hi girls,

Being a musician I have always loved performed music as well as performing music. While talking with my kids the other day I started telling them the different bands I have seen, starting with my very first concert, Deep Purple.
So here are the ones I can remember.

Deep Purple
Journey
Sha Na Na
Dr Hook
Asleep at the Wheel
The Outlaws
Cheap Trick
REO Speed Wagon
Ted Nugent
Rush
Golden Earring
Nasareth
Night Ranger
ZZ Top
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Crosby, Stills and Nash
Charlie Daniels Band
Leon Redbone
Van Halen
The Firm
Robert Plant
Bon Jovie
The Cars
Eric Clapton
Yes
AC\DC
Slash's Snakepit
Circa Survive
As Tall as Lions
Coheed and Cambria
Santana
Toto
April Wine
Skid Row
Ratt
Sammy Hagar
Paul Young
America
Quarterflash
Johnny Winter
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Foghat
The Greg Khin Band
Spencer Davis
38 Special

I am sure I forgot a few, but there it is. What bands have you seen?

Love always
Elizabeth
Last edited by Elizabeth on Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Merinda
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Merinda »

AC/DC (but couldn't see properly through crowd)
Icehouse
Uncanny Xmen
Radiators
Mi sex
Sherbert
Sports
Australian Crawl
Chrisie Allen
Wendy Mathews
Captain Spalding

And any other bands I've forgotten and you've never heard of.
Merinda
Michelle Miller
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Michelle Miller »

AC/DC
Motley Crue
Faster Pussycat
Guns N' Roses
Nirvana
Jackyl
Great White
ZZ Top
Extreme(they were with ZZ Top, didn't have a choice)
NOFX
Pennywise
Lagwagon
Simple Plan
AFI
-Michelle-
"Inside me, there's a thin girl, screaming to get out, but cookies & ice cream usually shut her right up."
CJ
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by CJ »

Hi all,

Elizabeth, d'you mean just pop/rock bands or any live act, say, including jazz?

I haven't seen all that many bands, as I'm not a huge fan of cheers and applause drowning out the music or of the smell of pot wafting over the crowd. Plus, I don't own a Bic lighter. I also find the acoustics of huge venues suck. Here, in Montreal, that would include the Bell Centre and the Olympic Stadium. It sometimes feels as though you're listening to three bands at once.

No, I much prefer smaller, more intimate venues. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, after all) these won't attract the Princes, the Metallicas, the Coldplays, the Céline Dions, and other assorted Madonnas. You get to discover talent in the smaller establishments. And you don't have to pay $275 for a ticket.

Having said this, these are the only bands I ever saw live, back in my late teens and early twenties... well, the ones I can remember, anyway:

- Styx
- Genesis
- Electric Light Orchestra
- April Wine
- Emerson, Lake and Palmer
- Pink Floyd
- Peter Gabriel
- The Beastie Boys (not strictly rock, but man what a show!)

If you include acts other than rock, I also saw, in smaller venues:

- Charlie Biddle
- Sun Ra
- Herb Ellis
- Barney Kessel
- Big Mama Thornton (at the Rising Sun; I was 14 years old; went with my dad)
- Dobacaracol
- Jim Zeller
- Oliver Jones (had the good fortune to get a private gig from the man)

The one act I've been following over the past ten years is native Montrealer Ian Kelly, just because he's also a friend of mine. Ian--a pop/rock/folk singer who writes all his own material and plays a variety of instruments--just had his second CD, "Speak Your Mind," released last year to critical acclaim. I've attended all of his local concerts. His gigs in London, England, or in Toronto and elswhere in Canada, I've had to assume are just as awesome as I haven't been to them. He's poised to to make a mark also in the U.S. I certainly hope he will; the man has talent to spare. You can find his web page here: Ian Kelly. Scroll down that page and check out the (non-acoustic) "Wiser Man" video, my favorite.

Here's a list of bands or acts I'd see in a minute, big venue or not:

- Nine Inch Nails
- Diana Krall
- Norah Jones
- Feist
- Regina Spektor
- Amy Winehouse

Interesting thread, Elizabeth. Thanks.

Love,
CJ
Susan
Permanently Banned

Post by Susan »

Renaissance
Kate Bush
Queen
The Kinks
Gerry and the Pacemakers
Sister Sledge
The Stylistics
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark
Lightning Seeds
Madness

Loads of folk bands in local pubs and some more that left less of an impact

I also go to a lot of Classical concerts too.
Last edited by Susan on Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Susan

I know some things.
Anita
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anita »

Hi Elizabeth--
When I first came to San Francisco, I would go to Winterland one or two times a month. Winterland was an ice hockey arena, but Bill Graham made it his main venue after he shut down the Fillmore. It held about 5000 people, and it was a no-seats set-up; during the course of the evening you could get up close to the stage, or look down from the balcony right behind it.

I would get to see two national bands and one local band. So I saw a lot of bands in the four years that these shows went on. Biggest deal was when Graham persuaded the Who to play at Winterland, at a time when they could easily fill a stadium. He was able to twist their arms because of the disaster with Keith Moon’s collapse at an SF concert two years before—they owed him one. I also saw Fleetwood Mac there, on one of the first dates they played with new members Steve Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham. By the end of that tour they were selling millions of albums, but at the beginning of it they had little idea that they were about to hit it that big. They’d been around for seven years at that point, and were only having modest sales on their later albums.

My first big concert was Steppenwolf, at Hara Arena in Dayton. What a thrill that was! The same year, I went to the Cincinnati pop festival, at Riverfront stadium. That was harder to deal with. I didn’t care for crowds that big. I saw Mountain, Alice Cooper, the Stooges, and Grand Funk Railroad.

Other bands:
Aerosmith (before they were big)
CSN&Y
AC/DC (One of the most entertaining bands I’ve ever seen)
Led Zeppelin (an hour and a half late, flying in from LA)
38 Special
Jethro Tull (Twice; they were still in great shape, in 2003)
ZZ Top
The Rolling Stones ( prime tickets, and lots of fun to see)
The Kinks

And—the bands I wished I would have seen:
The Doors (the Cincinnati show was canceled because of the Miami disaster)
The Beatles (I didn’t take my friend up on an offer to see them in summer ’66)
Thin Lizzy (One of my favorite bands)
Cream
Jimi Hendrix
Elizabeth
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Elizabeth »

Hi girls,

I added some that I forgot. I also did not add any band that I seen in the "fair circuit" that no longer contained the original members.

CJ,

There is no discrimination for "genre" of music. Anyone that one has seen that is a performing artist would be on one's list. All music is good, even if it's not someone that I might enjoy. The whole idea is to see the different artists that our members enjoy.

Love always,
Elizabeth
London
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by London »

A very diverse eclectic mix. I go to the local Theatre for the Performing Arts (that's not typo, that's how we spell theater in English English :lol: ) at every opportunity to watch plays and concerts (anything with guitarists) and I have seen some of the very best musicians at this local venue. Once in a while take in a big venue with big name performers. So here are the names most might recognize from big concert venues and local venues.

King Crimson (worst concert ever)
Golden Earring (opened for King Crimson and blew them away)
Bob Dylan and The Band (love his music but what and arrogant pr--k)
The Bee Gees (Disco forever)
Rod Stewart (Love this guy's voice)
The Moody Blues (Love the classic rock)
Pink Floyd (the very best concert ever)
Jethro Tull (2nd best concert ever)
BB King (bliss)
Jesse Cook (wow)
Joe Bonamasa (another wow and a protege of BB King)
Johnny Winter (now here is a story in itself. This tiny old man in black shuffles onto stage and looks like he is about to croak. His aides help him to sit and hand him his guitar and then incredible music erupts from his guitar. And then--more incredibly he opens his mouth and beautiful sounds issue forth. Then his aides take his guitar, help him to stand and he shuffles off. WOW!!)
Several Classic Albums Live performances which are quite incredible.
Including -
Queen - Night at the Opera
Bob Marly - Legends
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
and to be seen in 2 weeks - Led Zeppelin 1

Not so well known

MG3 (Montreal Guitar Trio - like a classical version of G3)
Clive Carol (incredible finger guitar virtuoso - look him up on the net)
Andy Kim ( a lot more to this guy than you might think and a great sense of humour - oops English English again :lol: )
Tal Bachman (son of Randy Bachman of The Guess Who)
and many more great talents that I can't remember the names of.

Music is the ambrosia of life. No it is life! What would life be without it?

London
Merinda
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Merinda »

These are some bands/groups that I NEVER saw but wished I had -

-The Beatles
-Abba
-The Mamas & Papas
-Elvis Presley & the Memphis Mafia
-Skyhooks
-ELO
-The Easybeats

Bands I missed out on seeing due to unforseen circumstances -

-The Easybeats (1986 reunion concert)

A couple of bands that I HAVE seen but forgot to mention in my previous post-

- Dragon
- The Angels
Merinda
Kimberly Kael
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Kimberly Kael »

Hmmm. Offhand?

- Ani Difranco (a dozen or more times)
- Depeche Mode (four times)
- Moxy Fruvous (several times, a guilty pleasure)
- David Bowie (twice)
- Lyle Lovett (twice)
- Elvis Costello
- Tori Amos
- Prince (really amazing show, loved is "Whole Lotta Love" cover)
- The The
- INXS
- The Rolling Stones
+ Tons of folk and jazz festival bands, including one featuring Debbie Harry
~ Kimberly

“To escape criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." - Elbert Hubbard
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

Back is 1974 I bought a used LTD and a few of us headed to Dallas to catch a rock group at the stadium. I can't even remember their name. :roll: But it was a great concert. Might have been the Allman Brothers

also in the 70's
The Four Tops
Gladys Knight and the Pips
Temptations

Back in the 80's;
Statler Brothers
Charley McCoy

More recently:
Billy Joel and Elton John in Face to Face
Rod Stewart
DonnaT
London
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by London »

OK Donna

Face to Face! I officially hate you. Wow what an opportunity, Two of the greatest pianomen in history. I am green with envy.

By the way girls, my partner, dear sweet thing that she is, asked if anyone mentioned seeing Cher. I just about split a gut laughing. That's another thing you should know about me, warped sense of humour (oops another canuckism "our" instead of "or").

London
Absaroka
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Absaroka »

CJ I'm jealous. Willie Mae Thornton....

Okay it's a long list

jazz big names

Duke Ellington (2nd sacred concert) The most powerful concert I've ever heard
Count Basie 3x
Woody Herman 3x
Woody Herman ghost band 1x
Buddy Rich 2x
Glen Miller ghost band
Lionel Hampton
Benny Goodman
John Mayall
Dizzy Gillespie
Maynard Ferguson 5x
John McGlaughlin
Natalie Cole
Sonny Costanza
Warren Vache
Flip Phillips
Tito Puente
Tito Puente ghost band
Wynton Marsalis with Lincoln Center Jazz Ensemble
Charlie Shavers
Russell Moore
Wild Bill Davison

Blues

Koko Taylor
Buddy Guy 2x alone
Buddy Guy and Junior Wells
Willie Dixon
Shemika Harris
Chuck Berry (he was a bluesman first) 2x
James Cotton half a dozen times
Duke Robillard 2x
BB King 4x
Muddy Waters 2x
Albert King
John Lee Hooker 3x
Ray Charles
J B Hutto 3x
Pine Top Perkins (once as main act, several other times times with folks like Muddy)
Bob Margolin
Bobby Bland
J. Geils and Magic Dick (just the two of them)
Hubert Sumerlin
James Montgomery

Gospel
Soul Stirrers
Alabama Blind Boys
Vickie Wynans (I think that's her name, I forget. But she was a big deal according to the people I was with, they couldn't believe I hadn't heard of her.

Rock
Allman Bros (less Duane and Berry)
Grateful Dead
Willie Nelson 2x
New Riders of the Purple Sage
Chicago
Blood Sweat and Tears 2x
Santana 3x (2nd best concert I ever saw, right after Duke Ellington)
Doobie Bros
Def Leppard
Uriah Heap 2x
Jethro Tull
Emerson Lake and Palmer
Shirelles (very black and gospelly, not like their 50's stuff)
Temptations ghost band
Little Richard
Wilson Pickett
America
Judy Collins 2x
Maria Muldaur
Little Anthony
J Geils band
Four Tops
Don McLean
Donovon

Then there's classical and b'way show stuff. I saw Leonard Bernstein conduct one of his compostions when it was new-it was called Mass and was religious music.

Wish I'd heard

Duke Ellington a dozen more times
Linda Jones
Cold blood with Pydia Pense (couldn't afford the $3 cover)
Allmans with Duane and Berry
Janis Joplin
Lighthouse
Dreams with the Brecker Bros and Billy Cobham
10 Wheel Drive
Miles Davis
Bill Chase

I saw a lot of jazz acts in the 70's when I could barely afford them. I realized these guys were getting old and decided spending the money I didn't have before they died was a good idea.

I'm sure there are other. Some of the best music I've ever heard however has actually been local talent in small settings.

It's been 20 years since I took my wife to hear the Alabama Blind Boys. She'd never heard of them. She's been singing the gospel ever since. She's a music teacher and I have actually influenced her curriculum with that concert.

I saw Basie and Buddy Rich in not too big bar settings in college. Almost all college kids and wonderful audiences. Basie had Al Grey and another bone player both blowing incredible choruses as well as several wonderful sax players and Butch Miles on drums. I remember thinking that they made an awful lot of very good musicians sound like amateurs.

Zari
everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon
AliceLyn

Bands, showing my age

Post by AliceLyn »

Neil Diamond
Vanilla Fudge
Santana
Bread
Bee Gees
Carpenters(would I have worn Her panties!!!!!) :sorry: she is gone
Heart
Cat Stevens
Woody Herman
Paul Revere
Sarah Brightman(Id wear her panties too!!!!) =D>
Association
Kendra Lynn
Miss Emerald Goddess

Bands/Artists I've seen....

Post by Kendra Lynn »

Hello all: As some of you already know, I'm a free lance music journalist, So I've probably seen more than most. Favorite genres: English folk/folk-rock, Celtic, "world," British pop, New Orleans r&b, bluegrass/fusion, ... (I have not included artists I ONLY saw at music industry conventions). anyhow-- here we go:
Most recent (fall 2009): Steeleye Span, Os Mutantes, Medieval Babes, Allan Toussaint.

By genre:

English/Celtic folk/folk-rock: Fairport Convention, Richard Thompson, Home Service, Oysterband, Capercaillie, Silly Wizard, Little Johnny England, Brass Monkey, June Tabor, Christy Moore, Moving Hearts, Horslips, Shooglenifty, Figgy Duff, Albion Band, Steve Ashley, The Chieftains, John Kirkpatrick, Polly Bolton, Pete Morton, Billy Bragg, The Pogues, Mary Jane Lamond, John Tams & Barry Coope, Pentangle, Crasdant, SILD, Old Blind Dogs, Alan Stivell, Grada, Dervish, The Battlefield Band, The Tannahill Weavers, Dick Gaughan, Lindisfarne, Jennifer Cutting's Ocean Orchestra, The New St. George (U.S.), Roger Watson, Eliza Carthy Band, Kate Rusby, The Levellers, Clannad, Mary Black, Dolores Keane, Susan McKeown W/Johnny Cunningham, Stockton's Wing, Celtic Thunder, De Danann, Maura O'Connell, Blowzabella, Pyewackett,

New Orleans r&b: Dr. John, The Dixie Cups, The Neville Brothers,

Klezmer/Jewish roots: The Klezmatics, Brave Old World, Sway Machinery, Brave Old World, New Orleans Klezmer All Stars, DeLeon, Golem, Andy Statman,

"World" (from various regions): Baka Beyond, Afro Celt Sound System, Fiamma Fumana, 17 Hippies, Malicorne, Idan Raichel Project, Varttina, La Boittine Souriante, La Vent Du Nord, Warsaw Village Band, Hoba Hoba Spirit, Radio Tarifa, Madredeus, Brave Combo, Muzikas, Ofra Haza, Chopteeth, Boiled in Lead

British pop: The Zombies, Stackridge,

Bluegrass/country related: Asleep at the Wheel, Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen, Kinky Friedman, Last Train Home, Honky Tonk Confidential, New Grass Revival, Country Cooking, Breakfast Special, Emmylou Harris, Tish Hinojosa, Peter Rowan, Hickory Wind, Gram Parsons, David Grisman Quintet, Ruthie & the Wranglers, Junior Brown, Robin Flower

Gospel: The Blind Boys of Alabama, The Staple Singers.

Reggae: Bob Marley & the Wailers, Third World, Peter Tosh, Rita Marley & the I Threes,

Singer-songwriter: Stan Rogers, Kate & Anna McGarrigle, The Smith Sisters, Simon & Garfunkel, Judy Collins, Holly Near, Judy Small, Eric Bogle,

Rock/Soul/Blues: Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, Hot Tuna, Poogy (Israel), Brian Setzer Big Band, Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, Paul Butterfield's Better Days, Tracy Nelson, Bonnie Raitt, Yes, Genesis, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Paul Rishell, Delaney & Bonnie & Friends, Flo& Eddie, Frank Zappa, The Nighthawks, Seatrain, NRBQ, Blood, Sweat, & Tears, Spirit, Spirit of the West, Pam Parker, 10,000 Maniacs, Traffic, Little Feat

I'm sure there are lots more, but my typing finger needs a rest. Feel free to send me a personal message if you have questions or would like more information about any of the artists mentioned.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!! (otherwise known as "ST. CROSSDRESSER'S DAY").

Peace-- Kendra Lynn ("Hippie Cheerleader").