Engineering Background?

Talk about anything else: your pets, your car, movies, celebrities, or other things you like. As a reminder, political and religious discussions do not belong in here, nor any other topics that may incite a heated debate! As always keep it clean, please.

Moderators: KimberlyS, Celia

Do you have an engineering background?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:42 pm

yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 27
Stephanie H
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Stephanie H »

IBM Field Engineer back a long time ago.... Went into System Development and Design... So I too like the the choo choo train.
All aboard.
Stephanie
Julie Dawn
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Julie Dawn »

I don’t wish to shanghi this thread to one of model railway but Absaroka is correct when she says “the most difficult thing to really make a good model of is a tree”. I would add to that by saying that to make model locomotives, coaches, trucks, track, signals, and all kinds of buildings either from kits or scratch built is comparatively easy compared to making any of the “green stuff”. It’s very difficult to create the correct illusion of “green stuff” in whatever scale you model. There is also the parallel in cross-dressing from what I read here, for most of us it’s very difficult to create the correct illusion of the woman we would wish to be.

DonnaT, I have been thinking about your “one liner” all over the xmas period. I have never ever felt that I was compensating for being someone who likes to dress in women’s clothes. For the first ten years or so I believed it was a secret activity that no one knew about. For many of those years I was studying to gain a degree in order to advance in my chosen profession. My other recreational activity was playing with trains which I started doing at about six years old.

If being an engineer is compensating / hiding the fact that one has a very strong feminine side, it seems to beg the question, which came first. Where I lived as a young child, there were no other boys in my age group, so I would find myself joining in the games being played by the neighbours girls. Being the only boy I would often be cast as the “dad” going or coming from work, but sometimes I would be dressed as a girl in someone’s blouse and skirt. I clearly remember on these occasions being unhappy that I was not being dressed properly as a girl. Later I made a discovery that answered some questions but also raised many more questions. But this is for another thread.
Julie = 2B + ¯2B¯
JudyK

Post by JudyK »

I’m an Engineering Technologist for the past 20 years and Network manager for the last 13 years … so Yea.

I also hold a degree in tolerance. :)

Judyk
Andrea Elise
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Andrea Elise »

Electronic engineering.

Andrea
And it feels like me...On a good day
Hope
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Hope »

Hmmm....yes. BSEE. :-k

This is sort of....freaky? Now, there will be some statistician who will likely give me daggers over this but....

There are about 1238 members in the forum. We'll even assume all of them are CD'ers even though a percentage are SO's and TS?. Anyway, 27 have responded to the survey. That's about 2% of the population. Oddly, that's not much different than the number of people nationally who are engineers.

Stretching numbers as much as I dare, the pole results (67%) suggests over half of my collegues (males) are CD'ers? OMG! =D> =D>
Karin
Miss Golden Goddess

Re: Engineering Background?

Post by Karin »

Electronic engineer and software here.

It's funny that your poll shows the same results I have seen on a similar poll elsewhere too. Skilled trades and engineering seem to dominate..... Very interesting #-o

A very Interesting point by hope too, am I really surrounded by ten more of me at work??? Yippppeeee :oops: heehee
*^^* Karin *^^*

Image"It's Kind Of Fun To Do The Impossible" Image
Anna
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Anna »

Degree in Mechanical Engineering, AND interested in railways!!! Double whammy!
Anna x

What seems like the right thing to do could also be the hardest thing you have ever done in your life.
Latanya
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Latanya »

bachelor of science in psychology and a dr.
no engineering in my blood and physics was my worst except optics
The fem side of me is ever evolving and growing.
RebeccaF
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by RebeccaF »

Crikey you're a clever lot! Light aircraft avionics tech for 20+ years. Loved it at the start and still love it now.

xx Becca xx
Latanya
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Latanya »

a very intelligent group i must say!!! :mrgreen:
and they cant say i slept my way to the top :mrgreen:
The fem side of me is ever evolving and growing.
Carol Esme
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Carol Esme »

Oh dear me. Have any of you ever had training on how to bias a sample? Put engineering in the question and who bothers to read and answer it?
As a child I wanted to be a civil engineer or a top gun fighter pilot. But then I grew up and turned to the dark side, took a degree in economics and statistics.
I'm not sure I want to design a survey for you but you might start a non-judgemental heading like "What is your background" with a neutral question or two to relax people and slip in a few occupation oriented questions like what was your first job? What is your highest qualification. Then finish with is there anything else you want to say to me. Away you go.
Carol
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

Carol, there's a thread at http://www.crossdressers-haven.com/foru ... 32&t=11229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for education background.
DonnaT
Carol Esme
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Carol Esme »

DonnaT wrote:Carol, there's a thread at http://www.crossdressers-haven.com/foru ... 32&t=11229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for education background.
Thanks Donna. It was interesting.
Carol
Cassandra Lynn
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Cassandra Lynn »

Okey dokey, i'll be the odd duck.........quackkkk quackkkk!

I come from a very very long line of lumber mill workers, both on my mom's and dad's side of the family. I did push my later milling experience towards more of the specialty end, but no where near being a trade.

My lowly degree was an advanced tech certificate in horticulture....basically a 2 year vocational degree.

I seem to recall a similar thread on cders.com yrs ago but the results there showed more of a tendency to the creative/artistical side.....folks in architectural drawing, painting, musical, writing etc, etc.

Cass
Cass

@->->- Serenity thru Femininity @->->-
It is not about riding out the storm, but learning to dance in the rain
Kyra
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Kyra »

Not much more than an Assoc. degree in Electronics for me. Should've gone back for the EE, but that hard-headed girl in me kept doing other things with her life. No matter, I'm happy where I am and with what I do.
I still have my train set (Lionel O-scale) in the basement, although it's packed in a box and will probably stay there until my (future) grandchildren decide to see what it looks like.
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return. - Leonardo DaVinci