House Guest Etiquette

Talk about anything else: your pets, your car, movies, celebrities, or other things you like. As a reminder, political and religious discussions do not belong in here, nor any other topics that may incite a heated debate! As always keep it clean, please.

Moderators: KimberlyS, Celia

Dolores(GG)
Miss Emerald Goddess

House Guest Etiquette

Post by Dolores(GG) »

Hi ladies!

So my hubby and I are moving to another state. He went ahead of me to find a job and an apartment. He is staying with family and I was invited by my lifelong best friend, who just bought a new house with a spare room, to stay with her. We are figuring it will be a few months...I have never lived with a friend before. Family, sure, and roommates- but we all kept to ourselves. Also, since neither of us are working right now- with the transition we are surviving frugally on our savings for the time being. Thing is, I don't want anything to sour my friendship and I want to be a good guest. Did you ladies have any tips? Have you ever had this experience?

This is my first weekend here and unfortunately they had an emergency that required them to be away. I have taken care of the dog and plan to clean up the house before they come home. I'm worrying about silly things...I buy my own groceries but I wonder if I help clean up and walk the dog does that make up for the things I might occasionally use? (paper towels, etc). Should I pitch in for those things? How much? I appreciate my friends invitation but I want to be as unintrusive into their lives as I can. I don't know how long I will be here as of now. 2, 4, or maybe 6 months...depending on when I get a job offer in the new state...and I don't want them to get sick of me. I also don't know if I should look for a job in this city as my friend has suggested. I feel like it would be rude to work 2 months and then say "see-ya!".

I am an artist, so I figured I would take this as time to focus on my work and in getting in shape. Is that realistic?

I figured one of you gals might have some life experience with this. :)
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Re: House Guest Etiquette

Post by DonnaT »

If you are helping around the house, and your friend knows your financial situation, then you needn't worry about doing more. However, if you can find work, then I suggest doing so, or at least making an effort. It will sit better with you and with your friend's family. Even if only for a couple of months.

Note that working on your art will also likely take money/income.
DonnaT
Carla Michelle
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Carla Michelle »

Some years ago, I was down on my luck and needed a place to stay. My good friend offered me the use of her love seat. It was an open invitation, with no time limit placed on me to move. She had a lot of cats and fed some more outside. She also had a dog inside and 2 outside. I quickly learned what her routines were and did everything I could to make things easy for her. Half an hour before she got home from work I would sweep and mop her house. Two rooms and a bathroom, so it never took me long. Since I didn't have a job, was on disability and didn't really have anything else to do, I made it my 'job' to make my friends life as easy as I possibly could.

Around 7-8 months later, when I moved out of her place and into one of the apartments she had for rent, she told me that I had been a great house guest and would be welcome back anytime.
~Carla Michelle a.k.a. Mickey~
Dolores(GG)
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Dolores(GG) »

Donna, I dont mind finding work- but I don't know what I could get for only a few months. I don't want to be dishonest about that. I do freelance my artwork, so I thought maybe I could find odds and ends to bring in a little bit.

Carla, that is kindof where I am- I decided to make it my "job" to be here and make things easier. I already reorganized the fridge, mopped, shined all the glass, dusted...and if I know when everyone is showing up I will make dinner. I imagine myself like a little elf that comes out during the day when everyone is at work and cobbles their shoes. :)