Calling all horse plàyers

Talk about anything else: your pets, your car, movies, celebrities, or other things you like. As a reminder, political and religious discussions do not belong in here, nor any other topics that may incite a heated debate! As always keep it clean, please.

Moderators: KimberlyS, Celia

OliviaM
Miss Platinum Goddess

Calling all horse plàyers

Post by OliviaM »

I have entered a fantasy handicapping contest. One race a week with either a $20 WPorS or a $10 exacta box. Two races thus far and no winnings. I bet $10 boxes both weeks. This week was the Haskell. I took the filly, Untappable with Wildcat Red. The filly ran out of the money and Wildcat Red ran third. There are 10 people in my group and only 4 have money with the leader at $114. So one big score and I am right in it. Next week is the Whitney at Saratoga. Looking for advice and insight. Thanks everybody.
Martina Hall
Miss Golden Goddess

Re: Calling all horse plàyers

Post by Martina Hall »

Olivia, as an ex-knowitall at the track, all I can say with certainty is that nothing is certain in thoroughbred racing. Going with the obvious contenders is generally not a good "value" bet. Better to take a non-favorite that you have some reason will do well. Don't be afraid of longshots, they sometimes surprise everybody. Take 5-1 or longer instead of crowd favorites, and good luck!
I AM my own hot girlfriend.
OliviaM
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by OliviaM »

Thanks Martina. You are correct. That was my approach. Both races the favorite looked legitimate so I looked for a price to get a nice exacta. Will keep your advice in mind when looking at PP's later in the week. Thanks again.

(--) (--) Olivia
Martina Hall
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Martina Hall »

Some advice for beginners: Learn as much as you can about horse racing, and bet small, at least until you get the hang of it. And learn to quit for a while when your luck runs cold. That even happens to know-it-alls with decades of experience. Ask me how I know that.
I AM my own hot girlfriend.
OliviaM
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by OliviaM »

Martina,
Very sound advice. I have been going to the track since 1971. Used the racing form a lot. Worked parimutuals at Aqueduct and Belmont for a year and my wife worked in accounting for NYRA for 7 years. I would drive her home most days and would catch a race either live or simulcast. Developed a little system for exacts just to make it interesting with little money and no past performances. I just like being at the track watching the horses run. It is more for entertainment than anything. I am not a bog bettor and never bet money I can't afford to lose. Now I live in a place with no gambling. With modern technology I can watch live racing from NY handicapp when I can use my system keep track of my mythical bets and enjoy myself. And I am definitely not a know-it-all. Really nice to find a fan here and hope to talk more.

(--) (--) Olivia
OliviaM
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by OliviaM »

Wait!! I forgot to ask how you know? Really interested. Later.