Da snakes, da snakes!

Talk about anything else: your pets, your car, movies, celebrities, or other things you like. As a reminder, political and religious discussions do not belong in here, nor any other topics that may incite a heated debate! As always keep it clean, please.

Moderators: KimberlyS, Celia

Virginia
Goddess of the Universe

Da snakes, da snakes!

Post by Virginia »

Well, here on Strange Magic Hill we have lots of rocks. Most we have strategically placed, then for various and sundry reasons some have to be moved! Silver Lady was, as usual, supervising some rock relocation when I rolled a larger than average rock and there he was, a beautiful copperhead. First one I have seen while we have been living here. He was evidently a bit cold ( heck ain't it suppose to be in the 50's in the summer?) Anyway, I took a stick and moved him out to the warmer gravel so we could get a better look at him. I have to admit he was a beautiful specimen about 3 feet long! He began to warm up and did strike the stick leaving a bit of orangeish venom behind, but he did not try to crawl off. I picked him up - using the stick and moved him to another part of the yard and off he went! He was not as big as the 5+ foot black snake I caught the day before. That one did try to bite me as I was bare handing him, but I swear, it seemed when he determined that I was not going to hurt him, he seemed to calm right down! Silver Lady did not want to pet him, imagine that! ..OO.. I let him go where he was initially heading, under our deck. Strange, we have not seen any field mouse around here for quite some time. Let's see, thats a very large timber rattlesnake, a copperhead, a (rare) northern pine snake, a black snake and a couple of garter snakes. It is so cool seeing these fellow travelers on "this spaceship earth!"
First star to the right, then straight on 'till mornin!
Carol Ann
Miss Diamond Goddess

Re: Da snakes, da snakes!

Post by Carol Ann »

Sorry my dear, around here it is always open season on copperheads and timber rattlers. BANG go's the 20 ga.
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

I completely agree with you, Carol Ann . . . 12 gauge, 20 gauge . . . whichever I happen to grab first because I hate snakes! -,,-

I'm always carrying a handgun in one caliber or another (choices, choices!) and Virginia would not let me shoot that Copperhead with my "gun of the day" which was a .22LR loaded with hollow points. I think she was afraid that I would shoot her instead. :huh:

She just told me that she wasn't afraid of me shooting her because I'm a better shot than she is . . . and I am. :wink:

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Carol Ann
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carol Ann »

Well hon I always carry my .22mag outside as we have a good supply of rattlers and copperheads. Black snacks are OK as they eat copperheads , mice and who knows what all rotf
Virginia
Goddess of the Universe

Post by Virginia »

Read a recent article where a family rented a cabin in Missouri. The father awoke in the morning, went outside, saw a snake and thinking his son, 10 years old, would like to see "a" snake, picked it up to show to his son. It bit him three times and he died on the couch in front of his son, in the cabin in about 30 minutes. Turns out it was a copperhead.

No comment!

Virginia
Carol Ann
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carol Ann »

Oh yes 3 weeks ago at the state park about 15 miles from beautiful me *-*
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

More proof that "you can't fix stupid"!! #-o

Unfortunately, the guy died in front of his son for doing a completely stupid act, something his son will never forget. :(

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Domonique
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Domonique »

Although I am originally from the mountains of Pa. I will never pick up a snake. With all the cross breeding I have seen throughout the years you have to be extra careful. SilverLady has the right idea, Shoot them things!
Dom
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

I too have caught copperhead and rattlesnake, but they didn't live long enough to tell any of their family. ;)

Had fun with a rattlesnake while on maneuvers in the army. I lopped it's head off and carried it to the mess tent. All the cooks were lying down for the night, and I stepped through the tent flap holding the snake up and asking if anyone knew how to cook it. They emptied out the back of the tent so fast :lol:

All the good snakes I catch I let go nearby, where my wife won't see them. Earlier this summer I was cleaning up some dog poop in the back yard, and saw a baby black snake slithering past. If it had stayed still I wouldn't have notice it. Must have been 2 inches long. I moved it to the wood pile.
DonnaT
Requal Jo
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Requal Jo »

You are a braver person than I Virginia. I stay right away from any snake, let alone handle them.

While our snakes in Australia are in the top ten venomous in the world you have your fare share of venomous types also. The black snake in Australia is a protected spices and heavy fines apply if you kill them.

We are coming into summer, and with the recent big wet in Australia, they are predicting an increase number of snakes this year.
Requal
Virginia
Goddess of the Universe

Post by Virginia »

The guy in Missouri? I mean how stupid! Just see a snake and pick it up! Did not know a copperhead from a great white I would imagine!

Just be careful and watch where you step!

V