PushingChristmas

Talk about anything else: your pets, your car, movies, celebrities, or other things you like. As a reminder, political and religious discussions do not belong in here, nor any other topics that may incite a heated debate! As always keep it clean, please.

Moderators: KimberlyS, Celia

Karen Ski
Miss Platinum Goddess

PushingChristmas

Post by Karen Ski »

Not sure this belongs here but I have a pet peeve to air. I was shopping the other day at the Galleria and every store has all their Christmas décor and regalia out in full force. #-o Is it me or does this seem to happen earlier and earlier every successive year? I grew up in the 60's and back then there was an unwritten rule you didn't put that stuff out until after Thanksgiving, nowadays it seems like it is out right after Labor Day. :shock: What ever happened to fall? :-k I realize the Christmas season is important to retailers but cramming it down my throat is not going to make me buy more! If anything it is liable to make me numb to it all.

While I am on the subject what about all those stores that open earlier and earlier every year? I just heard Macy's is planning on opening at 6PM on Thanksgiving, come on! I am sure others will follow this lunacy as well. What ever happened to family holidays? Are they all that greedy that they think they are going to make that much more by doing that? To me all the added hours of payroll would only diminish profits not increase them. After all isn't the object profits, not sales numbers? Personally I would never go shopping on Thanksgiving Day. Maybe it is time for some sanity to return to the American consumer and start boycotting all these stores on holidays and make them rethink this insanity!
Sarah Beth
Miss Emerald Goddess

Re: PushingChristmas

Post by Sarah Beth »

I am with you on this. I remember when I was growing up my parents were in retail and we didn't start the Christmas stuff until after Tkhanksgiving. No one did at that time, you had everything seperated out, Hallloween, then Thanksgiving then Christmas.

I read somewhere a few years ago that Wal Mart started pushing the Christmas thing further and further forward trying to get the jump on everyoned else. What happens then is everyone else has to follow along.

I try not to pay any attention to any of it until after Thanksgiving. It seems to me like it's a waste anyway because everyone knows the real specials and better prices don't really come until a lot closer to Christmas anyway. All it does for me is make me tired of it all. I'm to the point if it wasn't for the grand kids I wouldn't even bother with it anymore.
"It takes all kinds of kinds"
Miranda Lambert
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Davita »

Yeah this thread is probably in the wrong place, but before we move.....

I saw the Christmas push at Costco last weekend. *sigh* I'm not interested in it so soon. I am still getting my heart into Halloween. I'm not sure the stores are paying anything more just yet for the Christmas decor but they are not selling anything for the current holidays so how is that a gain?

Anywaaaaayyyyyyyyyy..... After so long without a playmate for Halloween, I have one. I have a party to go to. Nothing like shopping for a woman's costume when drab :) I tend to assemble a costume rather than buy one. Nothing like going to a Scrubs and asking to try on a uniform dress and the folks don't bat an eye as soon as you say "Halloween" not that I need to justify my trying the dress on.
{squeezes}
Davita
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

I'm in total agreement. Christmas is a lovely holiday for those of Faith and families everywhere, but it shouldn't be 8 months of the year. Why do stores promote a holiday, while at the same time, forbid their employees to say "Merry Christmas'?
Stores used to be closed on holidays, employees have families too! If some essential item was forgotten, you did without.
Gas stations too. We used to have to plan ahead for holidays.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Carol Ann
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carol Ann »

One word ladies, MONEY,

But on the whole I believe Thanksgiving is a goner anymore except for me and my family as we still to this day go to church give thanks and then rejoice with a hugs meal at someone's home.
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Its funny this thread came up. But it is not just the holidays but the seasons as well! It was just last week I was in a larger retailer store and thought the same thing to myself. It was unseasonably warm up here for the time of the year then and there I was in a lightweight sweater seeing all the parkas and snow boots and the like and thinking that come December when I may need them I probably won't be able to find any, Granted if I want to buy a bathing suit in January I can but try to find one come July!

I don't mind them pushing the envelope a little but this is getting ridiculous. I refuse to go shopping on Thanksgiving and have learned to make sure I am prepared. I agree that this like several others are family holidays and should be reserved as that. Where are all those Bible thumping Republicans who drone on about the demise of the family unit? Probably counting all their money they made from breaking up families on holidays because one or more of them had to work!
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
CharLee
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by CharLee »

I grew up in NYC and for me and my family the Christmas season doesn't officially start until after the fat man in the red suit makes his entrance in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

And I hold true to that belief still today.
Rikki
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Rikki »

I follow CharLee with the parade signal to the season. Plus, I never shop until about a week before anyway (a guy thing, I guess) so the retailers waste their efforts on me.

Rikki
Be safe, Be frilled
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Having worked retail - and especially a craft store - yes, Christmas items are put out early and for good reason. Money is a big part of it - most stores start putting out their Christmas items around Labor Day now. :roll:

In the arts and crafts stores, some of the Christmas items are put out in June and July because we crafters need time to make them. Our company also demanded that from November 1st through December 31st every store was playing Christmas music. Yes, that got old real quick, and most of our customers hated it, too. Corporate's theory was that the music put everyone 'in the Christmas mood' and would spend more money. Wrong, most customers got what they came for and left as soon as possible, no dawdling around for them. So glad to no longer work retail, and no, the customer is not always right. [-(

For me, I don't get in the Christmas mood until Thanksgiving Day . . . I just love to see that fat man in the red suit in the Macy's Parade . . . although I am always 'on the look out' for Christmas gifts throughout the entire year. ;)

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Domonique
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Domonique »

Well Ladie's I have to agree with all of you. Fortunately I don't have to worry about the Christmas holiday anymore. I have become immune to all the hubbub that comes with it. Babydoll and I celebrate each holiday as they come an do not think about the next one until the holiday month arrives. When December comes we don't start celebrating Yule until after my Birthday.( which by the way is the 5th of Dec.) All donations payable to Dom. :lol:
Companies think the consumer is still prosperous which intern will do the same for them but we all know how far that will get them.
Dom
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Domonique wrote: All donations payable to Dom. :lol:
The check is in the mail Dom :P
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Requal Jo
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Requal Jo »

I fully agree with you all. While I can understand SilverLady's post for Craft stores, I do not believe other retailers should display any Christmas stock till after your Thanksgiving.

Yes it is all out there to catch the early dollar.
Requal
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

I agree.

Problem is, retailers are of the mistaken belief that they will get more folks buying early to make up for the poor showings they continue to have every year. However, more folks are buying online, to avoid the rush, etc, and in hopes of avoiding getting their credit card info stolen.
DonnaT
Deidre Taylor
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Deidre Taylor »

I have many times thought this to myself, happy to know I am not the only one. :) If I see something throughout the year I think will be a good present I buy it then because heaven knows things change so fast in stores. I generally am not an early shopper though. :( I', one of those racing around the last week or so trying to get everything but then I usually get the best bargains that way! :) As for the retail industry thinking that people are going to spend more because they start earlier, well let me just say let have a hit on what the are smoking. :lol: Most people finances are not unlimited and many set budgets and stick to them o very close to them. They buy only what they feel is a good bargain and thy can afford.

I do agree with you Donna about more people shopping online, it is so much easier and if you deal with a reputable site returns are no hassle. It sure beats having to wait in an ungodly long check out line then the person you bought it for having to wait in even a longer line to return or exchange it. The retailers have to wise up and start providing true customer service rather than just paying lip service to it if they expect their brick and mortar stores to survive as the younger generations become the target markets of the future.