Excuses sewing machine repair people give me

Talk about anything else: your pets, your car, movies, celebrities, or other things you like. As a reminder, political and religious discussions do not belong in here, nor any other topics that may incite a heated debate! As always keep it clean, please.

Moderators: KimberlyS, Celia

Bernice
Miss Golden Goddess

Excuses sewing machine repair people give me

Post by Bernice »

"Your machine just needed a cleaning and de-linting. That will be $49.95 and tax."

"You were using the wrong needle. Use a ball-point."

"You just needed a new needle. That will be $49.95 and tax."

"Did you realize the bobbin case was not in your machine when you brought it to us? IF you can't find it, we can replace it for $139.95."

"Stop using cheap thread."

"Be sure you adjust the top tension for the fabric you are using."

"It stitches just fine - when we use a single thickness of sailcloth."

I've spent two fortunes having my machines worked on. Supposedly, when I bought a genuine Bernina to replace the genuine American-made Singer, all my problems were going to be solved. Nope!

Once again, my machine will only go about 8 stitches before breaking the top thread. I'm using only Coates and Clark thread. I'm using only Schmetz ball-point needles, and this current one has maybe 500 stitches on it, with about 60 thread breaks. I've de-linted my machine within an inch of it's life, and it is as clean as a whistle. One nice thing about the Bernina is that it comes apart easily, unlike the old Singer. My top tension is right on the red line - like it is supposed to be. There are no knots or kinks in the top tensioner. I have trouble with any fabric, even denim, now. I've only run it about 30 minutes total since the last major repair bill. That one included a brand new bobbin case, which only after I paid, did I discover was not even a genuine Bernina part, and does not have the little hole in the top part for keeping the bobbin thread in place. I never found the old bobbin case, so I suspect he just stole mine, and got away with cheating me.

I'm about at my wit's end! Anyone have any advice? I've gotta have a way to sew and mend!

Hugs,

Bernice
April Rose
Miss Golden Goddess

Re: Excuses sewing machine repair people give me

Post by April Rose »

Sounds like you need a different repair service. My old Singer is still going. I haven't had a problem with it in years.
I am a vessel of the Goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Davita »

Yeah, this is no different than shopping for car repair service. If they can't get it right by the second time, they are either totally incompetent or they are looking to rip you off. Niether is a good reason to stay with the same service. Ask the local fabric people who they recommend for a repair person.

Good luck.
{squeezes}
Davita
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

My wife has two Bernina's and does a lot of quilting. No problems with either machine like you mention.

The thread, I believe, is Aurifil Quilting Thread 50 weight, which is much better than Coates and Clark.
DonnaT
Bernice
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Bernice »

Thanks Donna! The other day I discovered that Coates and Clark is now all made in Mexico, and is all 100% polyester. I'm sure my thread is at least ten years old, and was the genuine cotton-covered poly general purpose. Perhaps I'll see if the quilting thread that you like is available out here in the sticks.
Noeleena
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Noeleena »

Hi,

Is it a 700 model green and cream, gee i use dirt cheap cotton or any thing i get for nothing i saw every fabric and 1/2 in thick the needle is sharp as , if the thread hole is sharp some times the thead will break and im not botherd as i hack through a lot of sewing the bobbin could be wrong or the length stride of needle to bobbin maybe slightly out too soon or a bit late on the uptake or down kick ,

lack of oil or dirt in the shunt setup . gears , or its been shunted and knocked the slide out or stamping to hard and thickness of fabric moved the alinement .

And some times the machine says i need a rest and wont work,,,,,,, gone on strike HE HE ........
or packed a sad .......
...noeleena...
Bernice
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Bernice »

OMG It's a miracle! It came to me in the middle of the night... I was dreaming about it. It occurred to me the bottom tension simply had to be wrong.

Of course, the owner's manual says, in several places, to never, never ever change the bottom tension, because the machine could self destruct with a blast radius of nearly 50 feet.

My machine is clean as a whistle, and a new needle did nothing. Tension was the only thing I hadn't touched. I pulled the bobbin case and felt as I pulled on the bottom thread. Nothing - no resistance. I stuck a fingernail under the spring, lifted, and blew as hard as I could. Then I pulled again on the thread. Aha! Now there was some resistance.

I put the bobbin case back in, and tried to sew. Magnificent! Perfect! Like new!

It's a miracle! *-* @@9@@ ..^..

Hugs to all, and especially Noeleena for her suggestions.
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Davita »

And when will you be asking for all your money back from the people that couldn't do what you did? Why not write a nastygram to the company that made your machine and ask they reimburse you for the poorly training so-called qualified repair people? If nothing else, you deserve an apology.
{squeezes}
Davita
Bernice
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Bernice »

I've learned to accept a bit of abuse in my life. This is not a battle worth fighting.

My revenge will be that I no longer bring my machine there for repair, and they will not ever know why. That will have to suffice.

Thank you for validating my feelings though. It means a lot.

Hugs,

Bernice
April Rose
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by April Rose »

I'm reviving this thread, because I have an old Singer, model 247, that is starting to shriek like it needs lubrication. But I don't have a manual, and don't know where to lubricate. Anyone have any ideas?
I am a vessel of the Goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.
Sarah Beth
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Sarah Beth »

We found a manual for my grandmothers old singer sewing machine for $10 on ebay so you might look there. Also there are some u tube videos on maintenance of sewing machines that might help you out.
"It takes all kinds of kinds"
Miranda Lambert