Lamenting the Demise of Target in Canada

Talk about anything else: your pets, your car, movies, celebrities, or other things you like. As a reminder, political and religious discussions do not belong in here, nor any other topics that may incite a heated debate! As always keep it clean, please.

Moderators: KimberlyS, Celia

Toni_Lynn_P
Miss Emerald Goddess

Lamenting the Demise of Target in Canada

Post by Toni_Lynn_P »

As many of you may know, especially those of us Canada, Target is going down the glug-hole! All 133 Target stores here in Canada are closing within 4 months. Largely due to mismanagement, distribution issues, and a lack of understanding of the Canadian market, they lost $1.5 billion dollars in the almost two years since they opened, and were projected to not be profitable until 2021!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/target- ... -1.2901618" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally I'll miss them. I got some nice dresses there and the prices weren't all that bad.

Clearance sales start on Thursday -- 5 February.

So, Canadian girls -- what goodies did you snap up at Tar-zhay?

Hugs

Toni-Lynn
Eileen (SO)

Re: Lamenting the Demise of Target in Canada

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Thant's too bad, Toni-Lynn. We have a Super Target right close by. It's not a fantastic store, but very affordable.
With groceries in cart and a list in hand, the Husband finds it comfortable to browse the woman's section.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

I hadn't heard that they were closing ALL the stores in Canada. I was really pretty amazed that they so totally botched their entrance, it seems like they should have been smarter than that. Apparently not.
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Glad I don't live in Canada, I love Target. Still one of the few places that carries a nice selection of hosiery and their casual clothes are perfect, stylish and inexpensive. I do have to admit I have yet to use them for their grocery section with the exception of a few canned goods and the occasional box of cookies. OK maybe it is more often than occasional. :P Still they do have good sales of decent quality items and essentials such as make-up. Have never bought bras or panties there but I do have a couple of nightshirts I got there on clearance. Please Target don't abandon us US girls.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Toni_Lynn_P
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Toni_Lynn_P »

Ralitsa wrote:I hadn't heard that they were closing ALL the stores in Canada.
Yep -- all 133 stores. It was a total mess and even in departing they are hosing it up too.

For example -- some stores had shoe departments, others didn't. One time, they put Astro brand greek yogourt on sales, but they store only had 3 containers. I got a raincheck, but they never got it back in for 3 months.

The clearance sales are a mess. Most things are only discounted 10%. DVDs and greeting cards are 20%. Very old out season stuff was 30%.

I did get a pair of Massino lo-rise skinny jeans yesterday -- regularly $29.99 -- already on sales for $20.99 -- clearance discount then an addition 10% -- plus 5% for using my Target redcard. -- so about $17.

Only 10% on the bras and panties so while I did see as few items -- as is typical either nothing n my size or even with 10% + 5% for red card -- not worth getting.

----

And in a side diversion here - an old enemy of mine, Radio Shack, I see has declared bankruptcy in the USA ... a company where back in 1986 I was told "Until you get it cut off, you'll have short hair like man and not wear earrings". Good #*%#-ing riddance to old rubbish!

Hugs

Toni-Lynn
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

sorry to hear about your experience with Radio Shack Toni, I actually liked them. They were the only place where one could find electronic components. Of course now it's perfectly easy to order whatever one needs for a project.
Requal Jo
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Requal Jo »

Very sad news for the Canadian girls.

I do most of my shopping for my female apparel in Australia at Target. They are very big here; in every state and throughout the suburbs in the cities and in larger country towns.

Target in Australia only stock household and fashion items. They do not do groceries. They have a great variety of woman's clothing at very reasonable prices.
Requal
Rachel E.
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by Rachel E. »

As far as Target goes, Canada is lucky Target is leaving. I wish they'd leave the US. I shopped at Target only once and bought some toothpaste. 3 months later I hear that Target got hacked. 2 weeks later my bank is calling me about some purchases I made in Russia! When I told them I did not make those purchases, my bank, for my protection, cancelled all my plastic, closed all my accounts, and suggested that I enroll in a credit monitoring service at $10/ mo. for the next 3 years. Since then, 2 more attempts have been made to steal my identity, and both the police and the bank. have no idea when it will stop.

If it sounds like I am angry, I am, but I just felt I needed to vent.

Rachel
Sometimes losing is more important than winning