Cameras

Talk about anything else: your pets, your car, movies, celebrities, or other things you like. As a reminder, political and religious discussions do not belong in here, nor any other topics that may incite a heated debate! As always keep it clean, please.

Moderators: KimberlyS, Celia

Jill Mansfield
Miss Crystal Goddess

Cameras

Post by Jill Mansfield »

I was wondering what types of cameras others are using.
Other than my Minolta 35mm I have been using a couple of cheaper lower megapixel digitals. I have been looking online at SLR cameras and have seen the Nikon D3200 and it seems to be a good deal .Does anybody have any experience with this model or have any suggestions for another Brand or model, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You, Jill.
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Re: Cameras

Post by Davita »

Jill,
It depends on what you are going to do with the camera. If you're mostly going to be taking pictures of yourself, then a minimal feature camera will do and it doesn't have to be that high a resolution. I have had a variety of small point and shoots over the years. There are two important things that make all the difference in how good any posed picture comes out. The lighting and the stillness of the camera. Some cameras require bright light to take that perfect picture. Every camera requires a still hand. My pictures that I am taking of me are handled via a tripod and a timer. Some of the earliest pictures on my website were taken with a 3 megapixel camera and they look decent except for the subject. BTW, my cameras fit my purse. It's harder to forget it and leave it behind that way and you can take it to a lunch date or after hours and snap of a pic just as easy as a smart phone pic.

When taking your picture make sure to limit the digital and be more physical. That's to say if you want to have a close up, get close. If you want to fill the picture with a whole you, don't be so far away. If you need to edit your picture, many cameras come with editing software; they arent the best but they do what you need. The quick thing about editing is that you can make a bright picture darker but you can't make a dark picture bright and be as good. If you have Windows, it comes with MS Paint; it does more than you think and, again, it does the the things you need for posting a picture.

Lastly, google the cameras you are considering; check out the photography/photographer reviews. Hope this helps.
{squeezes}
Davita
Joan Grey
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Joan Grey »

While I have no idea just what you're looking for in a camera, the 3200 is a decent entry level DSLR, and right now it's on sale. Keep in mind that the place where most of us spend the big bucks is lens(es) and the rest of a "system". If you plan on using the camera often, you might want to get something with more features than you'll use now, and allow yourself to "grow into" it a bit. If you're new at it, see about taking a photography course. They're often available through local camera shops, vocational schools, or local colleges. Also, if there's a local camera club, that can often be a valuable resource.
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

See http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d3200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want it for posting images online, note that online imaging utilizes a smaller resolution, and some sites prefer images that have less information due to lack of space issues, etc.
DonnaT
Robyn
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Robyn »

Donna makes a great point.... I also know you're familiar with decent graphic editors, thus the primary purpose of your new camera totally matters.

I use an inexpensive Samsung TL205, and I primarily use it for macro shots of our flowers and plants. All our photos are just used in our personal digital catalog, but that little camera does an unbelievable job on the close ups.

Nevertheless, we all know that the price of electronics is based on features, as well as the release date of the model. A lot of bells and whistles for a gadget that is new on the market will cost a lot more than last years model, which was probably awesome too.
Normal, just not average,
Robyn
Gayle

Post by Gayle »

I have the Canon 7D (now obsolete) Of course that's the way that electronic things go.

I will say that you will take great photos with almost any of the DSLR or Micro 4/3 cameras out there.
The big difference between good and great pictures will be the quality of the lenses. The less expensive kits will come with cheaper lenes that won't be as sharp and suffer from chromatic abberation.

If you want to get into it, get a nice camera body and spend a little more and get a nicer lens. The choice of lens or zoom ranges will depend on what you expect to shoot most of the time. Don't be afraid to buy lenses orther than the official canon, nikon, or Sony

If I had to start over, one of my first lenses would be the Sigma 24-104 F/4

As others have said there are lots of online resources available.

My last thought is spend some time learning how to edit the photos after you take them. The camera is an imperfect tool, It does take a little work to get the image from the camera to the way I imagined it would be via some editing.

Say Cheese :)
Ms. Erin
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Ms. Erin »

I would like to add a little to this tread, although I am not sure if it contributes anything. But my choice or advise in camera/lens will depend on your knowledge and intended use.

I am a Canon photographer. So not much knowledge on Nikon gear, however my opinion would be if you want a general purpose camera with full automatic to full manual settings and photograph occasionally, perhaps as a hobby, but not advanced, then the (consumer) Canon T3 -T5 (Rebel) bodies would be a good choice, which I think are close to the same as the Nikon D3200.

If you are, or thinking you might be going advanced, I would look into the prosumer line bodies and better lenses, which cost a little more but are more advanced. If you are thinking to go pro one day than I would suggest professional bodies and lenses, there is a reason "we" professional photographers charge money and only use top gear. Quality does matter, but I am talking professional and advanced amateur level here.

Don't let the photo bug bite you it can cost you $$$. :)

By reading your posting I would see go with a D3200 body and a good quality lens or two. Sigma and Tamron make great lenses that will fit Nikon as well. Just make sure you buy the right lens mount.

PS I have Canon Rebel T3 in the studio for passports and ID's. (and quick selfies) Canon 50D for on location as a spare use and Canon 1Ds in the studio and on location as well. The reason I have the 50D is b/c its a apsC sensor versus the 1Ds which is full frame, so double use out of my primes. Sorry letting myself go. :shock:
I am a woman of trans experience.
Sarah Beth
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Sarah Beth »

I currently have an older model Kodak digital camera that has served me pretty well over the years since I've had it. I have however been saving my money to buy a Nikon D3200 myself. If you read all the reviews etc. on it for a DSLR camera is seems to have everything someone would want. You can find the D3200 on sale at a lot less now than when the first came out and some of them will come with two lenses as well in a kit. Or can buy just the body and buy lenses separately. You might also want to check the pawn shops sometimes you can get a bargain and with a digital camera you can try it out before you buy it.

I really miss my old film cameras, my pentax and Minoltas which are sitting long unused now with all those lenses. It seems such a waste but it's just to hard to find anyone to process film anymore. I have a whole darkroom setup as well stored away.
"It takes all kinds of kinds"
Miranda Lambert
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Davita »

Bummer Sarah about all that film equipment.

You've got me wanting to ask... Who all used to send out their fem pics to get processed? I used to and I would occasionally ask how I looked or how the pose was etc.
{squeezes}
Davita