water main problems

Talk about anything else: your pets, your car, movies, celebrities, or other things you like. As a reminder, political and religious discussions do not belong in here, nor any other topics that may incite a heated debate! As always keep it clean, please.

Moderators: KimberlyS, Celia

Kelly
Miss Golden Goddess

water main problems

Post by Kelly »

My water bill spiked. Sure enough there was a leak somewhere between my meter and my house. I finally tracked it down and after plunking down about 20 bucks at home depot managed to get it patched.

But, Low and behold the main line is schedule 40 PVC.

I happen to know that current plumbing codes do not allow PVC for potable water, so I now have an issue to deal with. [Just goes to show, don't open something up, unless you're willing to see what is there].

What I don't know is the reason behind the code and if it poses some risk I don't know about. I also don't know if the use of PVC was acceptable practice in the past and can be grandfathered (the line was laid in the late '70s).

I'm reluctant to consult the local water utility about this for fear that I get some order, with a time line, to rectify the situation. At least I am reluctant until I am more knowledgeable about the situation. Actually, I don't know who to consult, so I'm turning here.

Anyhow, does anybody in this diverse community have any knowledge about these kind of things?

Kelly.
I thought a CD was something you stuck in a computer
Carol Ann
Miss Diamond Goddess

Re: water main problems

Post by Carol Ann »

:-k no sorry dear
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

There is nothing inherently wrong with using schedule 40 PVC for the main (especially if it has an NSF stamped on it), because it is cold water and underground.

If it was hot water, then you would have an issue with leakage more often than not, so it's not legal for use with hot water.

When digging a ditch, try to use sand to back fill. That way you know your close to the pipe if you have to dig again.
DonnaT
Leeza
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Leeza »

At the time it was installed it was probably legal although I am surprised that they installed sch 40 as it is a low pressure pipe,

PVC may not allowed in your area but that is something you would have to check on. A plumber who works that area or a building inspector could give you that information.

In the late 90s it was discovered that due to the manufacturing process used in the early production of PVC some chemicals could leach into the water. Even if it is grandfathered in you may want to change it out for those reasons.
Leeza
Kelly
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Kelly »

Update.

Well my patch blew in about 6 hrs. Turns out that working with 2 inch pvc 4 feet under ground is a lot harder than 1/2 inch pvc 4 inches under ground :-k . Cleaned things up and called a professional.

Luckily, I got someone that was more than willing to share knowledge and a few tips and tricks; which I will employee next time (if ever) I have to deal with these kinds of problems.

According to him, pvc is commonly used in commercial settings. The size of my main is enough to supply a small apartment building! The information I got about the codes (as well as how to configure the fittings, and no you still need to apply primer) was bogus.

With that I will talk to the local water district.

By the way, I checked the specs for sched 50 it is rated up to 180 psi. Last I checked my line was at 70. None the less I'll check that with the water district as well.

Thanks,
Kelly
Sarah Beth
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Sarah Beth »

I never heard of PVC being against to use anywhere for potable water and I've been doing plumbing since before they used it. Schedule 40 pipe should handle the pressure of any normal water system, I have used it on air lines carrying around 120psi. The large the pipe the less pressure it will stand but still even your 2" pipe would carry local water pressure just fine.

The problem most people encounter when trying to patch a leak in pvc pipe in a water line is the don't get it clean and dry before using the primer and gluing the pipe. There is a special glue for wet use you can get.

I don't use much pvc in home applications anymore I mainly use pro pex pipe now. It's much easier to use although the normal homeowner probably wouldn't want to spend what it costs for the tool to put the fittings in with.
"It takes all kinds of kinds"
Miranda Lambert
Kelly
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Kelly »

Thanks Sarah Beth.

I checked with the water district. They put my mind at ease. First PVC is ok. I had gotten bad information from two different sales folk at Home Depot (one that claimed to be a retired plumber). So much for 'you can do it, we can help'.

Upon inspection of the blown patch, one of the fixtures was poorly glued. Operator error.

Second. The size of the line is consistent with the size of meter they had in place and the distance from the meter to my house which is 200+ yards.

So all is good. All that is left is to get a load of sand and to fill in the hole; oh and to make up with the wife for that bush that took one for the team while I was digging.

Kelly.
Leeza
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Leeza »

I did some more checking on sch 40 and stand corrected. It is good for the pressure you have
Leeza
Kelly
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Kelly »

Thanks Leeza, I had the same misgivings when I started this adventure.

Kelly.