My Bed is killing me

Talk about anything else: your pets, your car, movies, celebrities, or other things you like. As a reminder, political and religious discussions do not belong in here, nor any other topics that may incite a heated debate! As always keep it clean, please.

Moderators: KimberlyS, Celia

Lily
Miss Emerald Goddess

My Bed is killing me

Post by Lily »

I need a new bed but I don't think I can afford the one I really want right now. I have been thinking of getting a topper for my current mattress. Anyone know a good one that provides the support an old mattress may have lost but is still soft and comfy? @@9@@
Lillian Paterson

-------
My girlfriend still doesn't know why her sweaters are always stretched out.” -- Ed Wood
Kelly
Miss Golden Goddess

Re: My Bed is killing me

Post by Kelly »

Mattresses wear out; unfortunately faster - it seams - than ones pocket book can stand it.

A topper will give you some relief, but not for very long - say a couple of months it the mattress below is gone.

I assume you have already done the flip/rotate thing to the mattress so that it is worn fairly uniformly.

The other thing that I have done is slide a sheet of plywood between the mattress and springs. That will really firm things up unless the mattress has really severe dents in it.

If it becomes too firm put a layer of foam either between the plywood and mattress, or between the mattress and the topper, or between the topper and your bed linens.

Quality sleep is important. Hope this helps and hope that you can get a new mattress soon.

Kelly.
I thought a CD was something you stuck in a computer
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Davita »

I'm with Kelly. Rotate the matress, try the plywood, but it has to be thick enough not to crack and splinter. A topper doesn't do anything for support; that what a matress and box spring give. If you have an extra comforter and it's a little thick, that's pretty much all a topper is unless you blow enough on a fancy one that costs as much as a matress in the first place.
{squeezes}
Davita
Trudy
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Trudy »

Don't waste your money on a topper, like Davita said the only ones worth anything cost as much as a mattress. Try looking at some of the smaller stores, sometimes you can find an older model and save big. Last time I replaced my mattress was a couple of years ago and bought one with "last year's" covering, saved me almost $400.
Michelle Diane
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Michelle Diane »

Lily, I worked in a bed retailer for six years and picked up a few things and depending on what mattress and base unit you have there's a few tricks that will revive the most tired of beds.

What mattress do you have? i.e. traditional coil, pocket sprung, memory foam?

What base/box spring do you have i.e sprung box, solid top box, wooden/metal frame?

What size of bed single, twin, queen, king?

PM me as I'm not here that much and I'll get the notification and see if I can help out.

Best wishes,
Michelle.
One wears a mask for so long you forget who you are beneath it......I've now removed my mask.
April Rose
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by April Rose »

Lily, I see that you are in New England. Jordan's is advertising a store brand mattress for $300.
I am a vessel of the Goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.
Lily
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Lily »

I bought a bed the week before Halloween. It is much better. I got a memory foam bed. It is just starting to soften up and I love it.
Lillian Paterson

-------
My girlfriend still doesn't know why her sweaters are always stretched out.” -- Ed Wood