Politics and Religion

Talk about anything else: your pets, your car, movies, celebrities, or other things you like. As a reminder, political and religious discussions do not belong in here, nor any other topics that may incite a heated debate! As always keep it clean, please.

Moderators: KimberlyS, Celia

Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Politics and Religion

Post by Diana Michelle »

Whoa! Either can create at the very least a heated discussion and cause divides in families let alone together can be pouring gasoline on a fire! I am well aware both are considered touchy subjects here so I am going to tread very lightly.

I consider myself a Christian though I am sure there are some who would question that. I was raised in a certain religion and have practiced that same religion throughout my life, that is until very recently. The past 2 weeks I have gone to services though not at my particular church but at another Christian church. I am quite familiar with this particular faith as my stepdaughters were raised in this faith and continue to practice it so I have many times been to services there with them and my grandchildren. Being a small town everyone knows everyone so have had more than a few ask me what was I doing there including the pastor and his wife both of whom I know quite well. My answer has been I am just expanding my horizons though that is only partly true.

The rest of the truth is I am questioning actions and stands that organizations purported to represent my current religion, or is it my former religion, have taken recently. Not that I haven't disagreed with my current religion or its leaders on stands they have taken before and have been quite verbal about my opposition but somehow this feels different. This time it is not a stand on faith or religion or morality but rather a political stance which I vehemently disagree with. Yes I know all about the "belief" of a separation of between church and state but let us be honest here that line has become quite blurred over the years.

Certainly I can't be the only one that feels like this. Does your political views reflect your religious beliefs or vice versa? Do you allow one to have an effect on the other? Can they be completely separate going as far as contradicting the other? I am genuinely curious how others see this. I am not looking for a diatribe on what your specific views or beliefs are on either rather an sincere open discussion on how one affects the other or not.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Re: Politics and Religion

Post by Heather W »

I saw this and it got me to thinking. Yes my religion does play into my political beliefs but not how many might think. I really don't attend services looking for political advice or endorsements and honestly if they were offered I would take them as I would the same from anyone else, with a grain of salt. I say my religion or perhaps better put my faith affects my political beliefs as I look for causes and candidates that support my beliefs as a Christian. I look how they treat people, care about people, and what they believe all should be and treated.
The time is always right to do what is right
Martin Luther Ling Jr
Annie
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Annie »

Growing up with a family with a commitment to going to church every Sunday and listening to the sermons (as much as any kid did), I found myself at odds with the church and what the denomination was putting out. There were elements to the doctrine that I could not warp my heart around and felt that it was just wrong.
When I was first married, my wife and I tried several different churches, and I found the same problem with all of them. I have since determined that it was not the churches but that it is my feelings towards what I deem organized religion. I am not a religious person but consider myself to be more spiritual. I have my own beliefs and what I found in my opinion was that organized religion does not hold the same values as I do both from a religious perspective and a political one.
Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are- Benjamin Franklin
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

My first husband always said the worst thing that ever happened to Christianity was organized religion. I never disagreed with him.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

I suppose that my religious beliefs and my political beliefs are in alignment; in that I personally don't have any use for religion and I don't like either of the two largest political parties (in the US).

I can appreciate that, ideally, religion can bring comfort to people and help them to become better, more caring and purposeful. And to the extent that someone finds religion to be helpful to them, I think "Great, you should do that." But for myself I don't find it to be useful.

And as far as politics is concerned I consider my attitude to be pragmatic. I don't agree with either side all the time and I won't pretend that I do. I think it's safer to have the two main parties fighting with each other; it keeps them both in check. When there really and truly is a decisive majority opinion among the populace in general, then that thing will happen. Arguing is a normal part of a democracy and that's fine.
But I do feel like people are taking it way too seriously lately, and getting way too emotional about the elections. Arguing is one thing, but insulting and attacking each other is just crazy and unacceptable. I don't consider that politics anymore, I consider that basic civilized behavior.
So I don't really care what religion or what political affiliation anyone has. I have some opinions on various policies like immigration and the budget deficit; but I'm not willing to get into a screaming match or start punching people who have an opposite opinion. I have friends and relatives who get themselves all worked up over both religion and politics and try to drag me into that whole thing, but I just don't engage.