Shriners and St Judes Hospital

Talk about anything else: your pets, your car, movies, celebrities, or other things you like. As a reminder, political and religious discussions do not belong in here, nor any other topics that may incite a heated debate! As always keep it clean, please.

Moderators: KimberlyS, Celia

Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Shriners and St Judes Hospital

Post by Diana Michelle »

Was sitting here eating dinner and a commercial came on the TV. It caught my attention as the song was "I'll be home for Christmas" which is a favorite for mine so I looked up. It was an ad for Shriners Hospital and it struck a nerve as well as bringing tears.

I was 13 and had what I thought was just a bruise or whatever on my hand and figured it would go away. It didn't and the swelling grew and it got more sore by the hour. My parents took me to the family doctor and it turned out to be an infection and because I had waited so long it required my hand be lanced, the infection drained, and some heavy duty antibiotics as they feared the infection had spread. All of that meant I needed to be in the hospital. I don't remember the exact date but it was just a few days before Christmas. On the way to the hospital I made my parents promise I would be home for Christmas as well as making the surgeon promise the same. I was there a couple of days but remember the surgeon coming into my room on Christmas Eve morning and after looking at my chart and saying "I would normally keep you one more day but I promised you that you would be home for Christmas and a promise is a promise." Yes he signed the release papers that morning. I don't remember what I got as far as presents that year except the best present, I was home for Christmas.

Many children are need of medical care and hospitalization throughout the year but perhaps the most tragic time for that is the holidays. Here in the US both Shriners and St Judes provide medical care for children free of charge, even providing housing and meals for parents at no cost so they can be there for their children in that terrifying time of need. I give to both via automatic deduction as well as some extra at this time of the year. If you can consider one or both for whatever be it monthly or a one time donation, every little bit helps.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon