Now more than ever please give

Talk about anything else: your pets, your car, movies, celebrities, or other things you like. As a reminder, political and religious discussions do not belong in here, nor any other topics that may incite a heated debate! As always keep it clean, please.

Moderators: KimberlyS, Celia

Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Now more than ever please give

Post by Diana Michelle »

Another thread here about presents got me to thinking. It was about buying them and getting them to the intended in this time of social distancing and lockdown, even if to do it now or wait.

Not sure this little story applies here but maybe it does. There is an interfaith council where I live which runs a thrift shop, food bank, and does special food baskets at Christmas and Thanksgiving as well as other other "giveaways" throughout the year. I have volunteered there for a few years now. Every year for the past several years we have been doing a school supplies giveaway shortly before school starts every year. We go around to all the local merchants seeking donations of supplies or cash as well put out jars for donations at many local merchants and local restaurants.

Not this year but last year it happened that I had my eldest granddaughter for the week of the school supplies giveaway so I took her with me and put her to work. Not saying her parents are wealthy by a long shot but they are mid to upper middle class so Ashley like her sister and cousins have always had school supplies and probably never gave a thought to them. In the beginning she handed out supplies like the rest of us but somewhere in the process she seemed to gain enthusiasm. After we finished I took her out for dinner and asked her what she thought.

"I always knew there were less fortunate but never gave it a lot of thought. Then I saw how thankful and excited these children were to get something as simple as a plastic pencil box or a box of crayons. Now I understand Grandma."

Today even more than ever there are more in need by no action of their own. Many of those seeking assistance today are the same ones who even as short as 6 months ago were donating to food banks or other charities. First to those who may need a hand getting past rough times don't be embarrassed in asking for help. We have all been there in one way or another at one time in our life be it emotional help or assistance in basic human needs be it food or lodging or whatever.

Now to those of you more fortunate ones. Please think of those less fortunate, those in need many of which have never been in this circumstance before, those who are going hungry, those who are homeless, even those barely squeaking by but unable to buy even a simple toy for their children for Christmas. There are a multitude of things you can do be it a few extra cans or cash donation to your local food bank, a few extra dollars in the bell ringer's kettle, a warm blanket for the local homeless shelter, Toys for Tots or similar, even as simple as a smile and a warm cup of coffee. I am not soliciting for any particular organization rather asking please give if you can! It can be as simple as dropping the change in a donation bucket. Even better when you drop off your donation volunteer your time along with contribution. Trust me here if there are two things no proper charity can get enough of, contributions and volunteers!

How you give, who you give to, even what you give is up to you but please give if you can!
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Kelly
Miss Golden Goddess

Re: Now more than ever please give

Post by Kelly »

Thank you for posting this Diana. Just today it occurred to me that these forums would be a good place to remind all of the importance to share in our communities and serving up some ideas that are quick and easy starters.

The local grocery store has been collecting donations for a local food bank, has been doing so since the first of Nov. Every time - at checkout - I have been sure to add a little bit to the cause. My family is planning on contributing to the 'toys for tots' drive later this month. Since businesses have shut down, we have ordered takeout at least once a week; that might be a bit selfish as we want our favorite places to be there when this is all over.

I am offering these ideas as examples of things anyone with a secure home can and scale to what ever level they want. Even a little bit of help is better than no help at all.

Bless you all and be safe through the holidays.

Kelly
I thought a CD was something you stuck in a computer
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Thank you Kelly for giving.

As I tried very clumsily to say in my original post I understand particularly today there are many who are not in a position to give however to those of you who are please do. I am not asking you make sacrifices but we all have that one guilty pleasure we can cut back on or delay that "dream" purchase. To those cynics out there thinking "Why? They are just looking for a hand out!" go work even a few hours at the local food bank to see the gratitude expressed for a bag of basic staples you have in your pantry or at a homeless shelter to see the joy even a simple thing like dry socks you take for granted brings like my granddaughter came to discover. If you are not moved to give then so be it but I would be willing to wager it will take less than an hour to melt your heart and have you reaching for your checkbook.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Well Christmas is behind us however the need is not. People are in need 24/7 in today's uncertain times regardless of the time of the year. Please do not forget those who are hurting just because the season is changing!

KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

``5 :thumbsup:
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Spent the afternoon working the monthly food giveaway. The line was longer and the need greater than ever. We had to turn away about 25 because the cupboards were bare literally.

Just because the holidays are over doesn't mean the need has. If anything it is greater than ever. I understand some may not be in a position perhaps even needing some help but those who can give please do! I am not asking you make a deep sacrifice but every little bit helps.