The Need Is Still There

Talk about anything else: your pets, your car, movies, celebrities, or other things you like. As a reminder, political and religious discussions do not belong in here, nor any other topics that may incite a heated debate! As always keep it clean, please.

Moderators: KimberlyS, Celia

Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

The Need Is Still There

Post by Diana Michelle »

Spent the best part of Saturday at the local interfaith charity I volunteer with. Yes I was home with a beer in hand when my beloved Wolverines played that evening but that's another story. At any rate we do a Thanksgiving basket give away every year, as complete a meal as we can do including turkey, all the fixings, even a pumpkin pie. This year we had decided to do things a bit differently. Rather than us selecting who got a basket we asked for "nominations" for needy families and had boxes for those at many local businesses.

We got over 500 "votes" but obviously there were duplicates, triplicates, and some even getting more mentions. After eliminating all those we were still left with 137 names. A few were rejected for various reasons, some I disagreed with but majority rules still we have over 120 potential recipients. Problem is our current count is just short of 70 baskets. How do you decide? How you do say this person is needier than this one? This family deserves one but not that one?

The needs have not changed, if anything it has gotten greater. I understand not everyone is not capable of giving but if you can please do! Wouldn't it be nice as you sit down to your Thanksgiving feast knowing that in your own way no matter how large or small saw to it that someone less fortunate than you also has the same?
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Re: The Need Is Still There

Post by Davita »

Good question(s)... You got me wondering not how you decide who gets the baskets, but rather how to make up the 51-ish. I opted to see who provides meals beyond churches and naturally ran into the food banks like https://www.feedingamerica.org/ Talk to them or other such orgs; they might be able to help with decisions or even food. Good luck!
{squeezes}
Davita
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

"It ain't over till it's over" Yogi Berra

Thanks for the link Davita and I have sent them a note to see what they can do but I am not holding my breath there. We do have a plan which includes going to all the participating churches to see if they can throw us $50 or even $100 each. There are 6 churches so $600 would go a long way to making up the shortfall, each basket costs us around $40, less with contributions. There are several merchants that have chipped in, including all 4 grocery stores with 10 turkeys each. Now if we can get them to even make it 12 or even 15 that helps. I was at the grocery store today and turkeys were half off so I bought 10 so we are getting there. Also we are asking local businesses that may not have things to contribute for a cash donation.

The bottom line though is I am not going to allow any family to go without this year so if I have to write the check myself we will get there.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Bit of an update here. Thanks to contributions from some local stores, some local churches, community organizations and just plain people we are at 114 Thanksgiving baskets to distribute. We had a few added to our list so our need is 127 but we have vowed all will receive one. I told my fellow volunteers of my intentions that all would get one and if need be I would write the check myself. Several have offered to chip in on that though I do know they are not as fortunate as I am so whatever the shortfall I will cover it. I say that not to brag or put myself out as some sort of heroine rather I know I am blessed to be in a position to do this and the joy on the faces of the families when they get something they thought they would do without is all the thanks and satisfaction I could ever ask for.

I know we are getting to the "Season of Giving" and every charity is going to be soliciting contributions to help the less fortunate. Everything from St. Judes to bell ringers outside virtually every store to junk mail solicitations to jars on every store counter or box at the door is all going to be in our face. Yes I admit I find some of them a bit over the top and have my favorite charities I contribute to. I even dread going to the mailbox this time of the year as there is one or more charity solicitations there just about every day. I am sure at least most of them are good causes and trying to help but give me a break I think at times.

I pray all of you are safe and secure and not in need. I understand times are rough and you may not be as well off as you were or wish you were but be thankful for what you have. To those of you who can afford it please consider giving even a little. It need not be a lot, a small toy or two for Toys for Tots, a few cans in the box at the grocery store for the local food bank, your change even if it is just the coins in the collection jar on the store counter, a buck or two in the bell ringer kettle. Ask yourself is that dollar or two or even five or ten really going to change your life? If not then ask could it potentially change the life of someone in need? Every little bit helps!

Now to any of you who may be or know of someone who is not as fortunate. It may be needing a little help with the rent or struggling to pay the utilities or being food insecure. Yes I hate the phrase food insecure but it is PC so I will leave it at that. There is no shame in asking for help! No one who matters will look down at you because you need a little help. We all have needed help at times be it financial, physical, or emotional. Though I have never needed financial help I have physically and emotionally and while I once tried to tough it out I have come to understand there are people out there ready and willing to help and I thank God they were. One of the greatest gifts you can receive is a smile, a thank you, a hug from someone you have helped. Trust me here!

Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Final update for the moment. Spent yesterday afternoon at KAIR and we assembled the baskets and they are ready for distribution today and a delivery schedule finalized. We ended up short a couple of baskets but a quick trip to the grocery store remedied that.