Be careful out there

Talk about anything else: your pets, your car, movies, celebrities, or other things you like. As a reminder, political and religious discussions do not belong in here, nor any other topics that may incite a heated debate! As always keep it clean, please.

Moderators: KimberlyS, Celia

Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Be careful out there

Post by Diana Michelle »

Woke up yesterday morning and felt like I had been run over by a bulldozer. Achy, fever, chills, my nose wouldn't stop running, and a headache that was worse then the worst hangover I have ever had and I have had a few hangovers over the years. I almost thought I had the flu except for two things, my stomach was fine and I don't get the flu. No not because I have had the flu shot because I haven't had it, I just don't get the flu! I'm not saying I am immune to it but I have been around a few who have had it and I never got it or if I did the case was so mild I had no symptoms. The last time I had the flu I was 15 however that is also the last time I had a flu shot but I digress.

I had some coffee and decided to make some bacon and eggs. I ate it but honestly it really had no taste. By now I knew the doctor was in so I called and after relating my symptoms they asked if I had any home Covid tests. I said yes but I am fully vaccinated and up to date on my boosters. Humor me the nurse said and take one. I did and it came out positive. I had heard these tests can show both false positives and negatives so I waited about an hour and took another, positive again. Why can't I be this lucky with lottery tickets?

Needless to say I called the doctor's office and they prescribed Paxlovid and called it into the local pharmacy. Thankfully I know the pharmacist so I called him and gave them my updated insurance information not that anything changed but it is after the first of the year, and told him my neighbor would pick it up. Marianne did as well as picked up a few things I needed from the store and dropped them on my porch then called me from the driveway to tell me they were there so she didn't get exposed. I thanked her and told her I would get with her in a few days and settle up. I'm on my second day of the Paxlovid regime and can't say I feel any better yet but I don't feel any worse. I have been trying to remember everyone I had close contact with and let them know to watch out for symptoms.

I am self isolating for at least the next 4 to 5 days. I have plenty of food in the house for me and Max and Marianne told me if I needed anything just let her now. Right now I am just sitting here in my sweat pants and Michigan sweat shirt with a blanket nearby if I get a chill. I didn't even bother to put on make up, a rare occurrence for me and only ran a brush through my hair so I am definitely not looking or feeling my best. At least I have internet and a couple streaming services to keep me occupied.

How or when or even where I got it I haven't a clue but I did. I admit being fully vaccinated and boosted I have gotten complacent about wearing a mask so it falls on me. In spite of what you may think Covid is still with us and regardless of your vaccination status you can get it! Please be careful out there!
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Anthony Simon
Miss Ruby Goddess

Re: Be careful out there

Post by Anthony Simon »

Fingers crossed, Diana.

Not that you don't know this, but the thing about the vaccines (+boosters) is they dramatically reduce the chance of really serious illness etc.. That's why, with Omicron, which is so much easier to get than earlier strains, vaccination is so important. Where I am practically no-one wears masks anymore - but they're (apparently) important for stopping other people getting it off you, rather than stopping you getting it...

I haven't had it yet. Everyone else in my family has.
Socrates: The highest wisdom is to know that you know nothing.

Bill and Ted: That's us, dude.
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

I am aware of the importance of vaccines and that they reduce the risk of serious infection and am thankful I am up to date. I know a few who have gotten Covid before the vaccine was available or who weren't vaccinated and they had a real rough time, some didn't make it. Still it hit me like a ton of bricks and not sure I have felt this miserable physically all over in a very long time if ever. Just started my 3rd day of Paxlovid and it seems to be working though I wish it would do its magic quicker. At least today I seem to have an appetite though not sure how that is going to work out. I am at least planning on taking a shower and washing my hair and we will see where it goes from there.

As I said in my original post be careful out there! I know it affects everyone differently but for me it was miserable those first couple of days.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Anthony Simon
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Anthony Simon »

This is slightly off-topic, but when my sister had her first jab, it made her really quite ill for a day. Much worse than when she actually got the bug - and also, thankfully, not repeated with subsequent Covid jabs.
Socrates: The highest wisdom is to know that you know nothing.

Bill and Ted: That's us, dude.
CathyAnn
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by CathyAnn »

My wife and I are up to date with our Covid shots and hope it keeps Covid at bay. Unfortunately, very few people here in Florida wear masks, thanks to an idiot governor. My wife is 66 and I'm 78 and we pray we don't get Covid. We live alone and don't have any relatives or friends close-by. We are new here and don't know anyone in this area except our next door neighbor. So far, so good, for now.
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Stay careful Cathy, as I have said I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

Anthony my first jab was just a sore arm, the second one got me worse. I had a low-grade fever around 100 and sore and achy for probably 36 hours but it went away almost as soon as it came on. All the subsequent boosters were just a sore arm for a day or so.

Day 4 and I may have turned the corner finally. I have somewhat of an appetite though nothing seems to taste the same as I remember it, hope that goes away soon. I'm still a little sluggish but not exhausted like I was. The extra aches and pains seem to have gone away, just the usual ones are there now. Planning on calling the doctor later to see when I should take another test as well as what is the recommended isolation period after testing negative. I admit I got more than a little lax about masking up but that is going to change.

Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Finally feeling close to normal, well my normal whatever the hell that is. :lol: I did an at home test on Monday after finishing the Paxlovid regime and negative as well as one Wednesday morning and again negative so I seem to have beat it. I did go to town yesterday to the store, yes I wore a mask! As I said before I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy so be careful out there!