Surfing safely ... a few free tools.

Talk about anything else: your pets, your car, movies, celebrities, or other things you like. As a reminder, political and religious discussions do not belong in here, nor any other topics that may incite a heated debate! As always keep it clean, please.

Moderators: KimberlyS, Celia

Michelle Diane
Miss Emerald Goddess

Re: Surfing safely ... a few free tools.

Post by Michelle Diane »

I've missed all the problems by running Linux. However as hard as I try I can't convince my wife to swap over so I have to keep her system protected.

One small tool I use and love is called "StartUpMonitor" and a small free program that effectively puts a couple of bouncers on the front door to your registry. Whenever a program tries to register itself it's barred and a small pop up appears. Something like this.

Program "I'm not a trojan, really I’m not.exe" wants to register itself to run at startup.

Allow----------YES---------NO.

It's also a good defence against self registering trojans that can really screw with your registry. You'd be surprised at what junk tries to sneak into your registry.

I get mine from here.
http://download.cnet.com/StartupMonitor ... 37539.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've used this for a good 7-8 years now and never had any problems.

Please exercise caution with new programs especially those that affect registry entries. You should back up your registry before proceeding. Neither myself nor the forum owners/administrators/members can or will be held liable for any errors and or loss of data caused by using any software mentioned herein. The end user accepts full and sole liability for the installation and use of such software .
One wears a mask for so long you forget who you are beneath it......I've now removed my mask.