Privacy - Answered

Do you have a question about how things work on the forum? Are you having problems with something at the forum? Do you have a suggestion or recommendation to improve your experience at the forum? Let us know about it here, and the Mods and Admins will help you. ** Please check before posting to see if same/similar topic has already been addressed. **

Moderators: DonnaT, KimberlyS

Carol Esme
Miss Platinum Goddess

Privacy - Answered

Post by Carol Esme »

I'm a bit worried that old posts of mine can be easily found by an internet search.
How do I go about editing these old posts or if that isn't possible deleting the whole thread?
Carol
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Re: Privacy

Post by DonnaT »

Why would anyone do a search for that user name?

I just did, and only one hit to this forum came up on page 3 of the search hits.

So, you've not much to worry about.

Also, how does that link to your other self warrant your fear?
DonnaT
Anita
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anita »

Hi --
You can also change your username, if it really concerns you. The search I did for “{name deleted by SL}” produced 896 results. A search for “{name deleted by SL}” produced over 2 million results, and there's no real 'name' to recognize. My username gets 1.2 billion results, so the best username is one with no identifiers at all.
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Hi -

I agree with what both Donna and Anita have said, above. I'll also add my $0.02 worth of reality to the conversation:

If anyone was so concerned about being 'found' via a search by their name - real or otherwise - then that person should never post anything on the internet (and that includes email accounts). The reality of it all boils down to this: paranoia and the internet do not mix well at all. :-#

That being said, I can easily change the user name on your account, but you must contact me via PM. :sigh:

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Anthony Simon
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Anthony Simon »

My supposition would be that she may be specifically worried about her wife, who does know about her CDing - and thus may have her name.
Socrates: The highest wisdom is to know that you know nothing.

Bill and Ted: That's us, dude.
Carol Esme
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Carol Esme »

Thanks Anthony, you've hit the nail on the head. I'll go for a name change as the easiest solution. PM to Silver Lady on the way.
Carol