HTTP 403 - Closed

Do you have a question about how things work on the forum? Are you having problems with something at the forum? Do you have a suggestion or recommendation to improve your experience at the forum? Let us know about it here, and the Mods and Admins will help you. ** Please check before posting to see if same/similar topic has already been addressed. **

Moderators: DonnaT, KimberlyS

Chrissie J.
Miss Crystal Goddess

HTTP 403 - Closed

Post by Chrissie J. »

I keep getting 403 - forbidden when trying to access. I can get in through a proxy server - hidemyass.com . but not my own IP. This started 13 Dec. Is anyone else experiencing this just now. Any solutions?

Thanks
Chrissie
Steve
Miss Emerald Goddess

Re: HTTP 403

Post by Steve »

Are you on Hughes Net? I got that a lot on HN. It's a time out error
Chrissie J.
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by Chrissie J. »

Thanks for reply.
I am in the UK and my ISP is sky.com. I use both firefox and IE 11 and get the same result. My router froze last night and I had to restart it. I wonder if this might have something to do with it. It does not seem to me a timeout problem as I get the message almost instantaneously. IE error page gives;
"Most likely causes:
•This website requires you to log in."
but not being able to get past this I cannot log in to anything. All other websites are fine.

Chrissie
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Chrissie -

You are correct - error code HTTP 403 is a forbidden access code. A time out error code is HTTP 408.

I do not know why you are receiving that HTTP 403 error code unless you are trying to log-in to a restricted area. The IP that you used during registration is not blocked, and you have previously posted from that IP.

However, we do not permit any 'hidden' IP addresses - at all - and 'hidemyass.com' IPs will be blocked. [-(

Please send me a PM with all the details of your failed log-in attempts . . . IP address(es), browser info, where were you attempting to log in, etc. so I may investigate this matter further.

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Caith
Software Administrator

Re: HTTP 403 - Resolution in Process

Post by Caith »

I have opened a support case with Nexcess, our ISP for this issue.
Caith <oooo>
Caith
Software Administrator

Post by Caith »

The server logs indicated some 408 errors in the past few days, as previously mentioned/suggested by Steve.

xxx.yyy.191.227 - - [15/Dec/2013:14:23:29 -0500] "-" 408 -
xxx.yyy.191.227 - - [14/Dec/2013:11:55:24 -0500] "-" 408 -
xxx.yyy.191.227 - - [14/Dec/2013:11:59:46 -0500] "-" 408 -

Please PM me to arrange a time when you can test your forum access again. At that time, our ISP can review the server logs while they're recent. If the 408 error persists, you should probably investigate with your own ISP. It might be helpful if you can perform a ping and traceroute test to determine how your requests are being routed to the forum, and how long each IP 'hop' is requiring for the request. Often times, there is a single (or sometimes multiple) slow points along the route, that are the source of the timeout.
Caith <oooo>
Chrissie J.
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by Chrissie J. »

Problem now seems to have been resolved. I have been able to gain access now since beginning of New Year. Many thanks for your efforts
Chrissie j.