Curious about time settings - Answered

Do you have a question about how things work on the forum? Are you having problems with something at the forum? Do you have a suggestion or recommendation to improve your experience at the forum? Let us know about it here, and the Mods and Admins will help you. ** Please check before posting to see if same/similar topic has already been addressed. **

Moderators: DonnaT, KimberlyS

Anita
Miss Diamond Goddess

Curious about time settings - Answered

Post by Anita »

Hi All--
Not a problem, per se, but an observation about a fix I had to do. The forum "current time" display was an hour ahead of Pacific time (UTC-8). So I went into the preferences, and changed mine to "Alaska standard time," (UTC-9), and it aligned the forum with California time. Has anyone else had to compensate for their time zone this way?
Ginny Jones
Miss Platinum Goddess

Re: Curious about time settings

Post by Ginny Jones »

Hi Anita! Um .. mine is currently showing 1.08 am - an hour ahead of what it should be!

I won't try an change anything juss in case I break the internet!

Hugs Ginny xxx
Anita
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anita »

Hi Ginny--
You're up late for a school night, dear. As for the Internet/forum--well, I've watched the time be an hour ahead for what? a year, two years? and I guess it didn't get in the way of my posting. Mr. Green still does his job, whatever that may be. :mrgreen:
Ginny Jones
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Ginny Jones »

Anita - I can never get my ditsy little head around it all ... but I'm sure it'll end up alright. :-k

Hugs Ginny xxx *-*
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Hi, Anita & Ginny -

Every member has the ability to adjust the time zone settings for their individual account based upon where they live . . . I've done it ever since I became a member back in '05.

Anita, your correct setting is GMT -8 (Pacific Time Zone) but you also had the 'Daylight Savings Time' set to 'on' which is incorrect; that's why your clock was 1 hour ahead. :oops: I have corrected your settings to where they should be right now. :yes:

Adjusting this setting has absolutely no affect on anyone else at the forum, and the 'adjusted' time will only appear while you are logged in. Anyone viewing the forum as a guest will see the times based on the Eastern Time Zone, which is where the forum is based, as will anyone who has not made any adjustments for time zone changes.

The current version of the forum software is even better for the time zone settings because the forum is automatically defaulted to adjust for daylight savings times for our American viewers. Members also have the ability to adjust their personal settings for daylight savings times as there are a few areas in the US that do not follow DST; just remember you will have to turn it on/off every March and November.

Below is a time zone setting breakdown for those in North America and Great Britain:

Eastern Time Zone is UTC - 5.

Central Time Zone is UTC -6.

Mountain Time Zone is UTC -7.

Pacific Time Zone is UTC -8.

Alaska would be UTC -9.

Hawaii would be UTC -10.

Great Britain would be UTC.

I will occasionally make time zone adjustments for members before activating their account, but that's a 'hit-or-miss' depending upon what else I have going on at the same time . . . I'm almost always multi-tasking, especially when I'm online. :sigh:

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Anita
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anita »

Thank you, SilverLady. I would have assumed (if I'd seen it) that the Daylight Savings selection automatically adjusted for DSL, and would be set by the forum software. I stand corrected. I'm glad my time is my own, now, so to speak.