Project: A geographical snapshot of the forum

General talk about CD/TGing and gender topics that aren't necessarily fun things we do while en femme, or for gender-driven discussions.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

CJ
Miss Diamond Goddess

Project: A geographical snapshot of the forum

Post by CJ »

Hi all,

Okay, so here's the idea (and, SilverLady can tell you, it's an idea that's been floating around in my mind for some time now): I'd like to create a geographical snapshot of the forum membership. No contact info. No privacy violation. No particulars. Just what location you're from. Nobody would get this info but me--and me alone--as I work on this "Forum World Map."

Here's how I assume it would work: people (those that want to, anyway) can send me either an e-mail or a PM letting me know where they're from and I then add a little red dot to a suitable worldmap image, updating it as I get the info. No member names or other identifiers used. Just a little red dot. Every week, I'd update the image for the benefit (and, hopefully, the viewing pleasure) of the members.

Now, I know there's software available out there for Administrators to give forum members the option of singling out and highlighting (on a Google-Earth-like map) where each member is from, but I'm not interested in that because, precisely, it identifies those members. I want this to remain anonymous. I'm just very curious to see what kind of geographical spread we have here, on the board. I know that many of you have already revealed where you're from. But even so, and again, the proposed map would remain purely a collection of red dots.

Whaddy'all think? Good idea? or bad? Please let me know.

Love,
CJ

P.S.
In the interest of simplicity, I'll assume that those members who've already supplied their specific geographical location (city or town or nearest location) have a current and updated profile, so's as I can start on this thing right away.

EDIT: For those of our members who are just dropping in on this thread for the first time, you'll find the actual map near the bottom of the thread's second page. -CJ
Last edited by CJ on Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Connie
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Connie »

CJ,
I like the idea. Go for it.
Connie
Anita
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anita »

I like the idea, CJ, because it occurred to me that if there ever is a gathering of we like-minded folk, it would be useful to know where those red dots are most dense. That aside, I think it would be fun to see the membership represented this way.
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Hi, CJ -

Yes, that idea has been bouncing around in your head for at least a year now, and I think it's a wonderful idea!! =D>

:please: add our red dots to your map, CJ!!

Love ya, hon!

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
CJ
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by CJ »

Hi all,

Okay, folks, so it's settled. I've already started gathering geographical info from the members list. Those that haven't specified a location can send me the info (again, only IF they wish to do so) via e-mail or PM--preferably via PM, so as not to force you into disclosing your e-mail address to me. Remember to be as specific as you feel comfortable with (a member whose profile states that she lives, say, "30 miles north of Washington, DC," or "in the San Francisco Bay area," is just fine). Please understand that I probably won't be able to reply at length, as I expect my inboxes to see some traffic, but I promise I'll try to at least send a thank you.

I'm aiming to get a first--very preliminary--map up by the end of July. I'll make sure to indicate the number of members the dots represent in order to gauge the accuracy of the map (and to encourage those members who've yet to respond to do so).

I'm all excited now! :mrgreen: This'll be fun!

Love,
CJ
Curly(SO)
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Curly(SO) »

Great idea, looking forward to seeing it 8) =D> :)
Women: scientifically proven to be right even when they’re wrong.
Lana
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Lana »

Go for it. My info is in my profile.
Kay
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Kay »

Curly(SO) wrote:Great idea, looking forward to seeing it 8) =D> :)
Add this Sussex girl to the map, can I have a pink dot please!
Kay
Second Princess of Sussex ;)

Visa La France!
Don't leave your Chateau without it.
Gaven McLaren
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Gaven McLaren »

I just updated my profile to be more exact on the location.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons. As you are crunchy and good with chocolate!
PattiG
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by PattiG »

CJ,

Nice idea and I like your approach.

Patti
Amelie-Laveau
Permanently Banned

Post by Amelie-Laveau »

For awhile I had "Hell" as my location, are you able to put that on your map?

Baltimore Maryland. Did you want the exact hood? Or zip code?
PattiG
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by PattiG »

Amelie-Laveau wrote:For awhile I had "Hell" as my location, are you able to put that on your map?

And we thought you were from Michigan :? There is a Hell, Michigan and it freezes over every winter!

Patti
Amelie-Laveau
Permanently Banned

Post by Amelie-Laveau »

PattiG wrote:
Amelie-Laveau wrote:For awhile I had "Hell" as my location, are you able to put that on your map?

And we thought you were from Michigan :? There is a Hell, Michigan and it freezes over every winter!

Patti
Funny thing, my hood is named after a farm animal.
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

^ Yes, there is a Hell, Michigan . . . and this native Michiganian has been there and back several times, it's such a beautiful part of the state! :mrgreen:

Amelie, I don't think we need to be that specific for the map . . . I would think that the city (or county) and state should be sufficient, or the equivalent for those outside of the USA.

((Hugs))

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Jaye
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Jaye »

There's a thing out on the net called "Frappr" or something like that. Someone creates a group on the site, then different members log-in, create profiles, and the program maps them out using a system similar to Google Earth.

Here it is:
http://www.frappr.com/
The most common form of despair comes from not being who you are. - Soren Kierkegaard