Project: A geographical snapshot of the forum

General talk about CD/TGing and gender topics that aren't necessarily fun things we do while en femme, or for gender-driven discussions.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

CJ
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by CJ »

Hi all,

Thanks to all those who PM'd me so far with this info. I've been having some fun with this map. Just so you know, general urban or county specs are fine. This won't be a high precision National Geographic map or anything; I just want to be able to provide y'all with an idea of the forum's spread. It's very low-tech stuff. I'm using a blank map. After all, the location information is available in the profiles of those members that have supplied such. Like I said, I just want to see which way the tides and currents of the little red dots flow.

Jaye,

I'm familiar with Frappr (the Richard Dawkins forum--of which I'm a member--uses it) but I wouldn't want to go that route on this forum as I find it reveals too much about a member's location.

Amélie,

Just remember that Hell (or Heaven) is as much in our minds, here below, as it is under our feet.

Again, thanks to all for your participation. Working on this map is a painstaking process (and quite the geography lesson for me) but I'm enjoying myself tremendously. I hope not to disappoint.

Love,
CJ
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Hi, Jaye -

Thanks for the link, but I also see another huge down-side as it relates to the Forum, over and above what CJ just mentioned.

If CJ were to create a Frappr map so that our members can put their own 'dots on the map', that would require creating access for every member here to do so. We currently have 990 members, and most of them are still active in one way or another. :shock:

I think that what CJ proposes, that she puts the dots on the map for everyone and updates it accordingly, is the easiest way to accomplish the same thing.

:-k One person having access? Or creating access for 990 people? :-k

We'll take the path of least resistance.

((Hugs))

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Absaroka
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Absaroka »

Somewhere, I think in Utah, is a little town called "Hell for Certain"

Nice idea CJ

Absaroka
everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon
Jenny Alice

Post by Jenny Alice »

Sounds a most interesting idea. Most of our ladies are no doubt in the US. This one, however, is in Canberra, Australia. Thanks for the idea.
CJ
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by CJ »

Hi all,

Just a little itty bitty note to let everyone know I'm still working on this. Halfway through the process, I discovered a much easier way to do this; I simply use the forum's "list" function on the "Members" page according to member location. Wish I'd thought of that sooner. :roll:

Love,
CJ
SilverLady(SO)

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

^ Who said you can't teach an old girl new tricks?!? :P

:love: you, CJ!!

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
CJ
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by CJ »

Ah! but the real question, dear SilverLady, is: can you teach a new girl old tricks? :whistle: :bigsmile:

CJ
SilverLady(SO)

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Absolutely!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
Alana
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Alana »

Go for it, CJ! My location is no secret on this forum.

Alana
"Man, I feel like a woman!"- Shania Twain
Diannna
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Diannna »

CJ,
Your too cool for doing this. Thank you. A PM sent to you regards my local.
Hugs,
Diana
Susan
Permanently Banned

Post by Susan »

I always used two locations seeing I have spent so long in Southern California over the past 15 years but for the purpose of this exercise I have changed it to my home town.

Please let us know when the map is finished I for one would be interested in the results.
Susan

I know some things.
Carla L
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Carla L »

Grand Rapids Michigan here. No big secret.
Huggs,

Carla
JoAnnDallas
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by JoAnnDallas »

No big secret here LOL DALLAS, TX
CJ
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by CJ »

Hi all,

Well, here you have it. This is the first version of the map. Remember, it's a work in progress. Right now, I have fairly reliable location info for just over 300 out of the 1000+ members of the forum. Hence, the map may not look like this in its final version. No need to seend me any more PMs for now, as I'm still going through the Members list... still not done with that yet.

The way it looks now, though, I think we can make a few generalizations:

- Membership is mostly American (surprised?).
- Membership is "Coastal," meaning that, though people are from all over the map, the highest concentration of members live in coastal areas (Washington state; California; southern U.S. coast; Florida; U.S. eastern seaboard; south of London, UK; coastal Australia).
- The major urban areas represented here: the Vancouver-Seattle corridor, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix, Dallas, Chicago, Washington (D.C.), New York City, the Montreal-Toronto corridor, and the London-Sussex area (U.K.).
- The SOs on the board, though few, are pretty evenly spread throughout the map.
- The members living the farthest north are in Alaska (not on the map) and the farthest south are in Melbourne, Australia.
- Taking the international date line as a reference, the members living the farthest west are in Hawaii and the farthest east are in Brisbane, Australia.
- Most members are located in English-speaking countries (Canada, the U.S., the U.K., Australia, and New-Zealand); the exceptions are Sweden, the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Spain, and Greece, amongst others.

There you go. I'll continue working on this until the map more faithfully reflects actual membership. Still, I don't know how accurate this will be, given that fully a third of the forum's members have no location info (and, again, that's fine, people!--no flood of PMs for now, please!).

I hope you enjoy this little "forum atlas."

Love,
CJ

P.S.
Sorry if the image is large (I know it's unpleasant having to saw back and forth with the scroll bars) but there was no other way to present this and still retain some detail.

JoAnnDallas
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by JoAnnDallas »

Where is Alaska? We have at lease two members up there