Project: A geographical snapshot of the forum

General talk about CD/TGing and gender topics that aren't necessarily fun things we do while en femme, or for gender-driven discussions.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Alisyn

Re: Project: A geographical snapshot of the forum

Post by Alisyn »

Hi CJ
Excellent idea NJ shore here monmouth county central NJ
Kittie
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Kittie »

Wigan Lancs. uk
LisaK
Miss Emerald Goddess

Re: hehe

Post by LisaK »

CherryLynn wrote:I can see Russia from my bedroom window :^o . Just kidding I'm an east coast liberal, New Jersey Gurl.

Had to look real quick and make sure Sarah was not here.
Millie
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by Millie »

I'm really surprised that there aren't more members from the East Coast, being since half the U.S. population lives on the East Coast.
Paulette
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Paulette »

A map with color-coded LEDs showing who is where, wearing what, and several more attributes can be done these days with multicolored LEDs programmed through an Arduino. I have a number of techy friends who do exactly this kind of thing (see http://www.coolneon.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), though I can only parrot what they describe, having lost my hacker cred with the death of the TRS-80.

The problem is that so many are concentrated in urban centers that distinguishing them would be impossible. Better might be the iPhone app that allows friend tracking by GPS, though this is a guess as I haven't used it. All kinds of applications are using Google Maps, including sales and rentals of apartments and houses, business locations, the nearest bar that's open, etc. I'll ask my friends at Google if there is an application that we might use.

Paulette
~ Paulette
~ just lucky, I guess.
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Hi, ladies -

We will not use any type of map that will (or has the ability to utilize) GEO or GPS tracking, or anything that cannot be accessed by *all* our members; using an iPhone or iPad app (or similar) is not member-friendly and will not be considered. [-(

CJ's idea was to provide us with a 'picture' of where our members are located, it is not meant to specifically identify members or their locations, nor will we ever do so. [-(

The map that CJ has created is more than enough for our use, and she'll update it as soon as possible.

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Paulette
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Paulette »

Hi SL,

After doing some researching, I agree. Security and privacy is the primary concern. Seeing where the dots concentrate is fun, but anything more may be seen as dangerous for some.

My apologies for pushing the envelope - I always do that, but always then downshift to meet the needs of my friends, which is how I think of you all.

Paulette
~ Paulette
~ just lucky, I guess.
Lori Q.
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by Lori Q. »

This is a great idea! I will submit my area.
Amanda M
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Amanda M »

I am in a small Spanish village close to Huercal Overa, Almeria, Spain
If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!
Lori Q.
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by Lori Q. »

I live in south western Pennsylvania south of Pittsburgh
Mikaela
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Mikaela »

Orlando, FL :)
~~You can't ignore who you are forever. Once you start on this path, you continue to walk forward, even if you stop for a while.~~
Lori Q.
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by Lori Q. »

CJ wrote:Hi all,

Okay, so here's the idea (and, SilverLady can tell you, it's an idea that's been floating around in my mind for some time now): I'd like to create a geographical snapshot of the forum membership. No contact info. No privacy violation. No particulars. Just what location you're from. Nobody would get this info but me--and me alone--as I work on this "Forum World Map."

Here's how I assume it would work: people (those that want to, anyway) can send me either an e-mail or a PM letting me know where they're from and I then add a little red dot to a suitable worldmap image, updating it as I get the info. No member names or other identifiers used. Just a little red dot. Every week, I'd update the image for the benefit (and, hopefully, the viewing pleasure) of the members.

Now, I know there's software available out there for Administrators to give forum members the option of singling out and highlighting (on a Google-Earth-like map) where each member is from, but I'm not interested in that because, precisely, it identifies those members. I want this to remain anonymous. I'm just very curious to see what kind of geographical spread we have here, on the board. I know that many of you have already revealed where you're from. But even so, and again, the proposed map would remain purely a collection of red dots.
I'm not sure I understand what you are proposing but for myself, I am not concerned with privacy.
Whaddy'all think? Good idea? or bad? Please let me know.

Love,
CJ

P.S.
In the interest of simplicity, I'll assume that those members who've already supplied their specific geographical location (city or town or nearest location) have a current and updated profile, so's as I can start on this thing right away.

EDIT: For those of our members who are just dropping in on this thread for the first time, you'll find the actual map near the bottom of the thread's second page. -CJ
Bernice H.
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by Bernice H. »

Hi CJ
Jersey girl here
MichaelaR
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by MichaelaR »

Beautiful Colorado, here.
Robbin_Sinclair
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Robbin_Sinclair »

Do you have the U.S. Virgin Islands? I don't remember how specific I was on the profile. I agree about the map. We have enough invasion of privacy by Google maps telling all of our FaceBook friends where we are at any given moment. Beside, I would imagine a map is hard to do. xxrbbn