Half and Half, or there about

General talk about CD/TGing and gender topics that aren't necessarily fun things we do while en femme, or for gender-driven discussions.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Gillian
Miss Platinum Goddess

Half and Half, or there about

Post by Gillian »

So here is the question, if we lived in a world where noone took notice, or cared how people dressed, how many of us would live our lives mixing and matching our boy and girl wardrobes?
It is just that many talk about wanting the full experience of passing, and that is ok too. What about that middle zone of I'm just a guy that wants to dress as I please, but too much of what I want is found in the womens wear section. How many of us are out there?
So I concluded that there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to enjoy themselves as long as they can. People should eat and drink and enjoy the fruits of there labor, for these are gifts from God.
Paulette
Miss Golden Goddess

Re: Half and Half, or there about

Post by Paulette »

Gillian wrote:So here is the question, if we lived in a world where noone took notice, or cared how people dressed, how many of us would live our lives mixing and matching our boy and girl wardrobes?
It is just that many talk about wanting the full experience of passing, and that is ok too. What about that middle zone of I'm just a guy that wants to dress as I please, but too much of what I want is found in the womens wear section. How many of us are out there?
For me it doesn't work that way. I dress because it allows me to express a part of myself that I otherwise would keep hidden. So asking me how I would feel or what I'd do if no one took notice or cared? That's like asking someone with a social phobia how they'd feel if no one knew they had a social phobia. It wouldn't change anything and I wouldn't dress in public because my CD is not about how others react to me but about how I react to others and to my own gender fantasies and desires.

Others may not feel that way, but I do.
~ Paulette
~ just lucky, I guess.
Dolores(GG)
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Dolores(GG) »

Umm...probably not the answer you want but I think if we lived in a world where no one cared then there simply would not be a women's or mens section. We would just have unisex clothes to hide our bits and that would be all.

Also, what is acceptable changes with time. Women couldn't wear jeans once but no one says anything now. My SO wears a purse, very utilitarian looking, but a purse. No one has said anything. Styles, I have found, tend to migrate across genders over time. I heard once that high heels were originally only for men and had a specific purpose when riding horses...A little googling and it confirms this. I guess women stole the heel in an effort to emulate masculine fashion trends of the time! The 1740's marked the decade when high heels were no longer worn by men.
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

I already mix the two, but it's not that noticeable unless one if familiar with the tops.

Would the clothes be basically unisex? I don't think so, many CDs and GGs like the girlie look of lace and frills, short flirty skirts, high heels, etc. Additionally, many like the planner looks, jeans, etc.
DonnaT
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Davita »

Speaking of crossing genders for clothes... Have you seen men's shirts? I think those are usually one of the first items that cross. Colors this fall are all the lady's colors I just saw this summer. I also see a lot of skinny jeans for men/boys. I heard a "don't" not to far back, "don't wear your girl friend's jeans." Well now we know why; the boy have their own skinnies now.

I mix all the time because I don't care so much for unisex. The only unisex items I have are one of my pairs of glasses and my tee shirts. I don't think men's clothes will ever be as pretty as women's. My friends have called me a girly girl and yeah -- I am. I like showing my femininity when I can.
{squeezes}
Davita
Sarah Beth
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Sarah Beth »

I would wear more girl things more often. But the kind of work I do would prevent a lot of that. Except that maybe I could wear some women's jeans to work in.
"It takes all kinds of kinds"
Miranda Lambert
Bobby
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Bobby »

yes and no? but why jump straight to unisex clothes? if men were shaving their legs and wearing shorts and nylons, count me in! currently, i would still like to 'pass'. in the future if bald headed bearded men were going out wearing make-up, dresses or skirts, and breast forms under tank tops, i would do that and wouldn't have to worry about passing.
Dolores(GG)
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Dolores(GG) »

Not that I want unisex clothes- I like my heels and all. But if no one cared then fewer people would follow the gender constructs that we grew up with. Those constructs on fashion would not exist as well, no? Why would they?
Anthony Simon
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Anthony Simon »

Well, the thing about getting into the clothes (and the wig and the makeup) is "Great, now I get the chance to be a girl!" Like all that stuff is repressed inside me because of the gender constraints Dolores speaks of.

Inside I don't suppose I'm half and half - maybe 70(M) : 30(F) - But I'm definitely something between the gender constructs - and it's such a pain. It would just be so much easier if I could articulate that in a straightforward way - that would include wearing a mix of clothes.

But basically I would like to get to be sometimes "just like a woman" in my emotional reactions - and that would be signalled by the clothes.
Socrates: The highest wisdom is to know that you know nothing.

Bill and Ted: That's us, dude.
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

I currently mix and match now but most of the time I am presenting a male image to the world, some times a feminine image. When I am away from where I live I will wear more feminine things at times in the mix. And also have been out in a mix of masculine and obvious femme attire with out a problem. I have done the guy in a skirt and other feminine attire multiple times when away from home also and have not had any problems doing it. IMHO people are more accepting than we think they are. And a guy in a dress look is not a bad look if you are wearing the right dress and accessories. Just if you are going to do the guy in a skirt and other femme attire look you may want to stay out of the redneck bars.

I would love to be able to wear what ever mix of masculine and femme attire I wanted around town, but being this is a small conservative town, and my kids still live in town, I would not put them through all of the gossip. So for now I take my CDing out of town, and in the area I present either a male image or femme image to the world. What I am actually wearing is usually a mix. It is wild how must femme clothes can be worn and still present a male image.
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
TammyT
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by TammyT »

I would definitely be mixing and matching my wardrobe, but probably not intertwining the two. Most days would be in boy mode, but occasionally the sensitive mood will strike to spend a quiet day dressed and feeling girly. The way I'm imagining now, my wardrobe might be 2:1 male:female but I would be in male clothes far more often than 2:1.

I'm like you, Gillian: just the other day, I walked past a couple of women's fashion stores that I instinctively wanted to enter, but didn't. I don't have the freedom or facility for Tammy to have her own space in the wardrobe, so there's ultimately no point, but often when I'm shopping I wonder how lovely it would be to stop and just look at tops and skirts and shoes.
Very happy being a guy, but I also love fashion. We are all valued, and my feminine side is just one facet of the gem as a whole.
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

hypothetically speaking, if "nobody cared" about what sort of clothes people wore, then presumably we would not ourselves care what clothes we are wearing. So then all clothes would be stictly functional, or not worn at all. It is precisely because we DO care, that it is so much fun to wear them.
If the question is: what would it be like if nobody judged a person according to their clothes? Again, that wouldn't be much fun either. So I could go out looking like a slob, or I could take all the trouble to put on something nice and do my hair and make-up, and get exactly the same reaction. Why bother?
No, it's because I want to look nice, and am always hoping for a compliment or an admiring look, that I take the time to dress up.
But I can be viciously judgemental though too. When I look at a woman's outfit I am mentally making lot's of critiques about it, and I know they do the same to me, and I know that I'm losing that contest. Putting oneself into the fashion fray is not a simple thing. I think most guys don't want to spend any competitive energy on their wardrobe, so most guys clothes look so similar.
Noeleena
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Noeleena »

Hi.

Half and half for me that has no meaning. so we have a mind set of women must wear feminine clothes, and men must wear clothes that look like well i dont know, clothes for men. so ill take it your a dresser okay then ,you have a western mind set right, that being the case who told you you could only wear male clothes..... hang on male clothes were dress's and skirts and my people wore Kilt's no that cant be right thats a skirt, theres more it's not a skirt because we are Scot's and we will dam well wear what we like. i dont take head of the English and thier weird ways,

go back to Renaissance times have a look at the lovely wear the men wore then not to say our women dont wear as good if not better, except when the Kings & Queens decreed we were not allowed to up start the Queen in dressing better than her,

history is writen to show us that western thinking is not the only way men dressed,

So tell me who are these police that tell us what you men can or not wear.

iv yet to find them and to tell the truth i'd tell them were to go. because what we wear is no one else's bussness any way unless you subscribe to thier thinking.

Some of my clothes are made for the Renaissance times 1400 - 1700 and i wear them going over sea's and on plane's to travel around,dressed as a Wench and a Chatiline = Lady of the Castle.

i think its time the mind set was reset.

...noeleena...
Absaroka
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Absaroka »

When it comes to unisex stuff, socks, fleeces, sweats, and the like, my wife and I just have a communal supply as we fit into each others clothing. The only thrill I get from it is sometimes the nice feeling that it was originally hers, as opposed to being a "womens" fleece vest or so on.
everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon
Marissa Mae
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Marissa Mae »

I think I'd mix the two in somewhat the same proportion as girls and women do today.

They're free to wear just about anything from either gender's wardrobe. In fact many seem to adopt a shirt-and-trousers look as a regular thing.

If I had my druthers, I'd go out in a skirt, bra and forms at the very least. Even when it's too cold for a skirt by itself, I think I'd adopt the trick some girls do, and wear a skirt over pants for warmth.

I feel so feminine inside I get impatient with guy clothes, and yearn to wander out en femme without having to wonder who's looking on and laughing, getting nasty ideas, getting ready to beat me up, etc. etc.

Next life, maybe.

Love, Marissa Mae