I need a dress!!!

General talk about CD/TGing and gender topics that aren't necessarily fun things we do while en femme, or for gender-driven discussions.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Shania
Miss Crystal Goddess

I need a dress!!!

Post by Shania »

I had a dress I could wear out but I didn't really like it. I'm a closeted CD so I can go just anywhere or buy online. So that leaves me with buying on for my 'wife'(yea I have a wife, no she doesn't know & it needs to stay that way) or just stop acting like a sissy & walking into a store as a guy & buying one(lol). Is Goodwill my best choice? I'm crazy nervous about this. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

** Topic moved to proper forum; the A Day In The Life... forum is only for 'diaries' of daily life. - SL. ***
BobbeH
Miss Silver Goddess

Re: I need a dress!!!

Post by BobbeH »

Hi Shania

Know the feeling just bought my second skirt, bought it at a doll or store.

Yes goodwill is a good option and so is your local roller store. If you have a good idle of your size just walk in like know what your doing, most of the time nobody will say anything.
Live and let live

Bobbe
Nicole Rose
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Nicole Rose »

Hi Shania, I remember buying my first dress, it was a "gift" for my girlfriend, from a womens only clothing store, I knew my size which helped, that was long ago. It's so much easier to phone ahead to a store or boutique and be straight forward and tell them you Are a crossdresser and really want to buy some clothes, you will be surprised how helpful many are and they really appreciate your honesty. Some boutiques will even stay open a little later so you can try on and discuss your needs if you are a serious buyer. I know you situation is different from me I'm single, but when shopping honesty is the best policy, you will be happy and relieved when you do, happy dressing and come join us in the chatroom. ``5
Shania
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by Shania »

How do I fine out what size I am? I'm 5'11 & 178 lbs.
Leeza
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Leeza »

Shania,

Go on line and go to some of the web pages for the better stores that have clothing Like JC Penny or Woman within or others.

Their sites have charts to help you determine your size. Remember that the size may vary by style and manufacturer.
Leeza
Kelly
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Kelly »

I find that shopping when the store first opens is the best. At your height and weight you are in the "Plus" sizes; so shop in the big girl sections. JCP has a nice selection, in some areas Dress Barn has a specialty store for our sizes, and of course there is Laynn Bryant.

The really frustrating thing is that sizing by manufacture, designer, and store is arbitrary. Your eye (with the help of a cloth tape measure) and spending time in a fitting room are the only solutions.

In the bigger store, just pick something out and head to the fitting room. In the smaller store there will be a sales associate more than eager to help. Let them, your not the first cowboy at the rodeo; they understand and like your money.

The problem, I have found, in going to the Goodwill's of the world is that you have to have a good eye while picking something out and not all of them have a fitting room. The upside is that it is inexpensive; so your not out much if you made a wrong selection. You can do a return, but I always feel like a s**t returning to an enterprise that is donation based - just me I guess.

What got me over the hump is stealth trips to a fitting room followed by cautious conversation with sales associates to just going in and shopping as if it was my individual right (which it is). It is just a matter of getting over the initial nerves.

You don't get there without the baby steps. At they say, Just do it.

Kelly.
I thought a CD was something you stuck in a computer
Noeleena
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Noeleena »

Hi.

About a size 18 to 20 skirt size
Now measure around your waist in ..in..measure your hips at the widest point , then measure under you arms around your breast's at the point of your breasts ooops forgot im a female so ill be a bit different in size,;

as an idear= myself .5 , 9. weight 11 stone = 154 lb;s. waist 34 to 35 in's, size 16 skirt size, breasts 41 in, or 16 d cup size, hips 39 in , shoes 11 womens or mens 8 , shoulders 18 to 20 in, or size 18 to 20 depending on country or make ,

then after you done with the tape check on the net and youll find all you need remember you are best to try them on first before buying and dont have the dress or skirts too tight, i wear long skirts most days and tee tops or shirts any way hope that helps,
And for myself i design sew and make most of my clothes, to wear for our 3 groups im a member of,
...noeleena...
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

Dress buying can be a trial due to differences in body length and shoulder width as compared to most women. Which is why I normally stick to skirts and blouses.

Plus you can bake several outfits out of one skirt and several blouses and visa-versa.

Use the string method to check for sizes. Place a string around your waist and mark where it overlaps, then color code it with a marker. This can be done for several different body measurements, and different color codes. Then just hold the string next to the garment and check sizing.

You can visit thrift stores other than goodwill, which may be more prone to having dressing rooms.
DonnaT
Martina Hall
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Martina Hall »

Donna gives some good advice, I carry a measuring tape with me while shopping. And my reading glasses.
I am not shy about buying what I want, the first couple of times it's nerve-wracking, no big deal later.
I AM my own hot girlfriend.
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

Shania, time to put on your big girl panties and just get to a store and shop. Goodwill or other thrift stores can be good. Go in pick out some things you think will fit by hold them up to you, then after you get a few go try them on.

Others have mentioned Dressbarn and Lane Bryant, both have been good to me shopping in both male and femme modes. Walk into the store and start looking around and when someone comes up and asks if you need some help say "yes I do". Now that is the hard part done. They will ask what you are looking for and you tell them something like, I am looking for a summer dress for me. They often miss the "Me" word but if they catch it the sales person may pause while they process it is for you. You just keep looking around while they process and begin helping you again. They will most likely ask more questions on what you are looking for. Keep looking around while they help you look if you need to focus on something else. When they ask what size you say "my size". At this point if they have not figured it out, the sales person may pause while they process it is for you. You break the calm and say really is for me and continue looking. My experience is you will now be helpped with a new sense of focus and have an enjoyable time.

To add to your ease, go when the store is not as busy. If you are like you you may have to scope out the store a couple of times before you work up the courage to ask for help. But once you do you will wonder what your problem was before.

My experience is act like a serious shopper, be a serious shopper, be treated like a serious shopper.

And most of all have some fun out there.

kimberlys cd
joe in a skirt
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Shania
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by Shania »

Thanks for all the tips girls!!! I'm soo glad I joined this site. Crossdressing is a progressive thing it seams. At first going outside is crazy & you'd never do it...then after awhile, you want to so bad you just do it. Baby steps. It's just so fricking NERVE WARACKING!!!! lol
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

Shania wrote: It's just so fricking NERVE WARACKING!!!!
It can and is often nerving at times. But after comes the "did that really just happen", a calm and peace that just feels comfortable.

Crossdressing can be a bit progressive but it should be in a good way and because of who you are not because of what someone else wants you to do or be. And everyone progresses differently, down different paths and to different points and destinations. What works for one CDer may not work for a different CDer. Be yourself and do what works for you and your family.

kimberlys - cd
joe in a skirt
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Requal Jo
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Requal Jo »

As a private dresser I have purchased all my clothing in male mode. I am now very comfortable doing this and have built up a nice wardrobe of skirts, tops, underwear and a couple of dresses. As stated buying dresses can be tricky due to the different style and cuts.
Requal
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

My local JCP is having a 25% off sale tomorrow, so guess who's going dress shopping :)

I was there last week and they have several racks that are already marked down 40%. I bought one then, and had a hard time of it because there were 5 others that I also wanted. I shouldn't really be buying more because I have about 6 in my closet already that I still haven't worn, but those are more formal dresses that I feel like I need to save for a special occasion to wear the first time. And I should have more casual summer dresses. But actually the real reason is that I just like them and want them!!
April Rose
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by April Rose »

Shania, I am almost exactly the same size as you (5'10, 177) and I take a size 16 or 18 women's top. and a 14-16 skirt. I have a few 20's and L or Xl. Unfortunately, it's by no means exact,but usually the more expensive it is the more generously sized. If you are buying from the dollar store go for the larger one. from goodwill you'll never know till you try it on.

Also, it isn't just weight. It also depends on what kind of "shape" your in, in the athletic sense.
I am a vessel of the Goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.