An invitation

General talk about CD/TGing and gender topics that aren't necessarily fun things we do while en femme, or for gender-driven discussions.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Virginia
Goddess of the Universe

An invitation

Post by Virginia »

Well, I participate in local PRIDE events once in a while. They established a "Book Club." I received a call a couple of weeks ago from the "coordinator." She said they were reviewing a book called "You Can Tell Just By Looking" by Michael Bronski, Ann Pellegrini and Michael Amico. (You may want to buy it, about $15.00, $10.00 to download) She asked if I would come to their next meeting as she knows I am TG and (I think) she said that most of those participating had never ?met? or talked to? a transgendered person and would love to have me talk with them. I have asked my "sister," a woman that is on the same plane as I am in virtually every aspect of our journey, it is absolutely amazing how much we have in common, but I digress. Anyway she has said she would love to attend as well. Looking forward to "spreading the word!"

As I am fond of saying: Go Forth Woman --- and BE!!!!
First star to the right, then straight on 'till mornin!
Eileen (SO)

Re: An invitation

Post by Eileen (SO) »

What a great opportunity, Virginia! I gather that this book club is aware of gender issues and curious to know more. Spread the word, CD's, TG's, are not scary people.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Davita »

Not scary people? :) You don't know me very well do you? :twisted:
{squeezes}
Davita
Carol Ann
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Carol Ann »

I believe I am as normal as anyone \:D/
Anita
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anita »

That's great that you get the opportunity to do that, Virginia. Our local center lost funding for their speaker's bureau, so they don't do outreach any more.
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Well, except for Davita. Most all of the CD's I've met are relatively normal, except for how they like to dress sometimes. Ever look at a man and think that he might make a good looking woman? Then wonder if that's what he does privately?
I'm not ready for a society in which everyone dresses for how they feel at the time. There are really scary people to be concerned about, especially near children and use of public washrooms.
The mystery of the CD or TG person can be better understood through positive outreach.

Eileen
Virginia
Goddess of the Universe

Post by Virginia »

Well, that did not work out so good! My "sister" Trish and I showed up at the appointed place at the appointed time and guess what, only the manager of the place was there. We told him why we were there and he said he had heard that the meeting had been cancelled earlier in the day! Well he made a couple of phone calls and sure enough no one was attending due to cancellation which was "posted on facebook???" Hello????? Well, when I got home I immediately went on facebook and nothing!!!! However, I did discover that the "moderator" of the book club had closed out her facebook page, evidently yesterday! Now there are some personal and "political" things that go along with this which Trish and I have been involved in, like three of us and our spouses being excommunicated from the local TG support group, but that's another, yes, interesting story! OH, the "meeting" has been rescheduled for the14th - we will see what happens between now and then! As the poet Burns said and I paraphrase "Oh what a winsome web we weave when first we practice to deceive!"
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

It does seem like our dear Virginia is being ostracized by her 'personal and "political" things'. A book club met through a coordinator at a Pride event should be accepting to a TG for further insight.
All in all, this does not seem like a group that is interested in learning from views other than their own.
You don't need them either.

Eileen
Paulette
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Paulette »

This sucks. Really.

If it's deliberate, rather than a merely human screw-up of some kind, it's cruel.

TERFs, transgender exclusive radical feminists, actively look for trans people - to out them, shame them, and exclude them from women's groups. I hope that's not what you found Virginia. But it sure sounds like it.

(I've commented on TERFs elswhere on this forum recently.)
~ Paulette
~ just lucky, I guess.
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

This rebuff seems deliberate, and not a group to waste personal time with.

Paulette, what the heck is a TERF? Other than the brief description. They sound like a mean type.

Eileen
Stephanie H
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Stephanie H »

Paulette:
I had never considered a label for that type of person. Thanks I will remember it.
Stephanie
Paulette
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Paulette »

TERF: Transgender Exclusionary Radical Feminists.

Yes, they are a nasty bunch. And I object strongly to their claiming the term 'Radical Feminist." They aint neither.

Exclusionary, hateful, and bigoted, yes, but not at all radical. My idea of real feminism comes from the writing of Ellen Willis and Shulamith Firestone, who were truly radical, essentially humanist, and genuinely inclusive feminists.
~ Paulette
~ just lucky, I guess.
Paulette
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Paulette »

Let me try to make a clear distinction here between TERFs (transgender-exclusionary radical feminists) and people who are uncomfortable with gender variation. Education and familiarity with the varieties of gender variation can overcome such discomfort and the unfounded fears that sometimes accompany it.

Prejudice is an unfounded belief that is assumed to be true. Bigotry is prejudice held even when one knows better. TERFs are extreme bigots in that they re-interpret all of society, culture, biology and history to maintain their assumptions about gender and the relationship between genders. It is an extreme and pathological form of paranoia, and like most such there are grains of truth in it which you will recognize as I go along.

It is a truism that men are generally stronger and larger than women, and as a result of this and the fact that only women give birth, most cultures and societies are hierarchies with most men at the top of the power structure of government and family. After this point, TERF beliefs get seriously weird.

Specifically, TERFs believe that men are natural predators and that women are their preferred prey. They believe that people are born as either men or women, and anything else is a biological or mental error. That anyone who disguises their sex is either a woman who wants to acquire the power of a man, or a man who, like a wolf in sheep's clothing, tries to invade the space of their prey without alarming them. Chivalry and romantic love are simply social roles that men use to disguise their true motives and desires, which are to dominate, rape and enslave women. Sexual re-assignment surgery is nothing more than an extreme version of a guy putting on a dress and a wig: it's a disguise. The function of society is to enable men to prey on women and for women to accept and even like it.

Therefore, TERFs believe that women must overcome social pressure and stick together to protect themselves and each other from men, regardless of men's excuses or disguises, to keep from being raped and enslaved by them.

This kind of "radical feminism" is born of traumatic experience, great fear, and the belief that women have what men want and will do anything to get it, up to and including mutilating themselves to look like women. It is an extreme and pathological form of paranoia.

The difference between those who are simply uncomfortable about gender variation and TERFs is that sane and reasonable people can, through education and familiarity, become less uncomfortable about gender variation. TERFs can't.

With love to all, an it harm none,
~ Paulette
~ just lucky, I guess.
Virginia
Goddess of the Universe

Post by Virginia »

Well said, Paulette!
These woman seem to hate themselves more than anything else!
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

I never liked the feminist movement from back in the 70's till now.

Eileen