An invitation

General talk about CD/TGing and gender topics that aren't necessarily fun things we do while en femme, or for gender-driven discussions.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Re: An invitation

Post by Diana Michelle »

I have never heard the term TERF before but from Paulette's description they seem like more of a fly in the ointment than anything. I transitioned in the early 80's, the height of the feminist movement. I found total acceptance from 2 groups of females, lesbians and feminists. Although some of the feminists wondered why I wanted to leave being male as they had the world by the tail back then and become a female and put up with the discrimination, harassment, and male chauvinist pigs!

Let me digress for a moment, anyone remember MAD magazine? Well back in the 60's they talked of the "Super Patriot." In their terms a super patriot is someone that loves their country but hates 90% of the people that live there! Kind of sounds like Tea Party today but that is a whole other subject. :lol:

In essence if I am understanding Paulette's description a TERF is like a super patriot. They only accept those that meet their ideals and beliefs 100%. Basically you toe the line or you are an outsider.

Virginia I can understand your desire to spread "the word" and make the world see us as we are, just people and lose the labels. However sometimes you have to just admit you are banging your head against the wall. ](*,) How is it that saying goes? Give me the strength to change what I can change, the understanding to accept that which I can't change, and the wisdom to know the difference.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Virginia
Goddess of the Universe

Post by Virginia »

Well, the old adage "curiosity killed the cat!" BUT "satisfaction brought her back!" My sister Trish and I had not heard from the Roanoke Pride book club but since we knew the meeting was Thursday night, same place, same station we decided to just drop in to see what was going on.

Well they were in fact meeting, only four of them as they said one other was on vacation, one was in the hospital and one had a new job, but we were warmly welcomed and jumped right into the middle of it!!!

Trish and I are not bashful and will say what we feel and we did. There was one FtM there too and what a sweetheart he is!!!! We discussed the tenuous relationship with in the LGBT community, TERF's, how some of us get read and by whom and the different, can I say, "types" of gays and lesbians and how to get to the TG's still in the closet. The book being "revewed" is in paperback for about $15.00. It is called, "You Can Tell Just By Looking." All in all that part was great, then since two of the four there are on the executive board of Roanoke Pride, they asked Trish and I if we would head up a group for what they want to call "Transday" which will take place as one of the events during Pride Week here in Roanoke, September 1 - 7. Two years ago "Pride in the Park" had over 10,000 people - here in Roanoke, can you imagine? Last year it rained up they still estimate close to 6,000. I explained that we had been excommunicated from the local transgendered support group and briefly explained why and they we did not want to initiate a conflict with Ms. Dolly and her ilk (the local support group, as best we can determine two or three of them). The two directors said they felt that this would be a Roanoke Pride event and not an LAGOBR event and they diplomatically said they had heard "things" about Dolly and we just further confirmed them. Anyway, Trish and I offered to do what they asked as long as we were allowed to keep a low profile until the event activities were set up. Their initial thoughts were that it would be held at one of the local colleges starting with a "general session" then set up break-out sessions, but it is all in the planning stages right now.

All in all a good meeting!

Anyone in the area of this forum is of course invited with the main events to take place on the 6th and 7th.

Virginia
First star to the right, then straight on 'till mornin!
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

Congratulations on your victory Virginia! =D> Chalk one up for our side! =D> As I said before I found support and acceptance in the feminist and lesbian communities when I transitioned back in the days of old. I still have several dear friends who are lesbians and they are as different as we girls are. Thank you for standing up for the community and helping to destroy those stereotypes that still exist today, even sadly in the LGBT community. :(
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Stephanie H
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Stephanie H »

Virginia:
Walk on the side of caution and wishing you success in the event.
Stephanie
DeniseL
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by DeniseL »

for those that our interested, the big Capital Pride Parade is here in Ottawa next Sunday.

We are very fortunate that the city is very accepting of the LGBT community and they exect well over 10,000 people to turn out to view the parade.

Fortunately it has always been a big success, it ends up at City hall where there are numerous displays from various organizations, churches and business

Denise
Denise_Love
a girl that likes Camping
April Rose
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by April Rose »

There is an interesting article by Michelle Goldberg in the August 4th edition of the New Yorker Magazine, on the Dispute between the TERF's and Trans activists.
I am a vessel of the Goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

April, do you mean this article? http://crossdressers-haven.com/forums/v ... 21&t=16227" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :-k

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------