Shaving advice

General talk about CD/TGing and gender topics that aren't necessarily fun things we do while en femme, or for gender-driven discussions.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

DanielleM
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Re: Shaving advice

Post by DanielleM »

Ms Erin,
Just a general note.. laser works best on very dark hair. Yours looks brunette like mine so it will work. If you have very light, blonde or gray hair, laser doesn't work at all. The dark pigment in the hair absorbs the laser light and turns basically to ash. Without the dark pigment, laser can't work it's magic.
Don't worry about what other people think, because they don't.
Bernice
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Bernice »

I don't get to shave my legs often enough to have much of an opinion. However, I do have experience shaving my face, and 15 years of frugality has had me sharpening the blades, because they are so expensive. More recently, I discovered a source that is more affordable.

I hesitate to post, because it could be construed as advertising, so I'll preface this by saying I have no personal experience with the company, and do not own any stock in the company. If I shouldn't have, the moderators will please remove it for me/us.

http://www.dorcousa.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hugs,

Bernice
Ms. Erin
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Ms. Erin »

Thanks ladies, NoNo will be a nono. :)

And just for thoughts, I was shaving my facial hair with the old fashion electric Norelco shaver meant for that purpose, and I thought to try that on my chest and arms/hands/fingers, only the visible area not covered by clothing, and it actually did a, temporary, good enough job.

Any way, Thanks Eileen for saving me some money. O:)

Bernice, I am currently using the "throw a way" one time razors that come with like 10 in a pack or so. I have also been looking at the more expensive razors, just wandering how long they will last. (the blades that is)

DanielleM, my hair is indeed dark enough for the laser, it was one requirement from the laser people to check if you are a good candidate. They did explain the possibility of not getting all the hairs, as there might be some lighter colored ones, and also because working with hormones can cause hair grow.

I also know that after a while in HRT, your hair gets thinner and grows slower, aka shaving will be less often, so I just wait and see. Only 17 days in HRT right now. :)

But to be honest I a silently looking for a magical pill or cream, that just don't exist. ](*,)
I am a woman of trans experience.
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

I use a Gillette 3 bladed razor. It lasts at least a month.

Make sure to clean the blades well, and dry them. Then give them a light coat of mineral oil or baby oil (avoid getting oil in the moisturizing strip) and store in a zip lock bag to keep it sharper longer.

I've started using Venus blades on the legs for less nicks.
DonnaT
Alisa
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Alisa »

I've probably tried almost every kind of hair removal technique there is... Shaving of course, depilatories, epilator, laser... and what seems to work best for me is a combination. I probably get a full body wax two or three times a year and maintain in between waxing with a combination of the other methods... depending on the area that needs maintenance.

Of course if I could afford to do it, I'd be back at the salon every month or so for waxing but the full body wax with Brazilian can be pricey! Oh and btw... if you try waxing and especially if you go for the Brazilian (which I highly recommend) make sure you go to a tech that knows what they are doing or it could be a painful experience.

I reserve the depilatories emergency cleanup usually at the end of my waxing cycle. You can get nice results but make sure a follow the directions. Couple of tips that I think I have seen others mention: (1) you usually have to leave on for longer than recommended but never longer than the maximum recommended. (2) don't use the depilatories when you hair is too long... trim or shave first. (3) I have good results even on private areas but always be sure to try a small spot first to see how you will react.

I recently tried the new Nair product with Moroaccan oil and got great results. Skin was soft and shinny smooth for days.
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Alisa wrote: I have good results even on private areas but always be sure to try a small spot first to see how you will react.
I've never understood why anyone, man or woman, would want to shaved down there. Too close to prepubescent attraction.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Eileen (SO) wrote: I've never understood why anyone, man or woman, would want to shaved down there. Too close to prepubescent attraction.
Uhm, I definitely do not agree with that statement, but you are entitled to your own opinions.

Personally, I shave 'everything' because I love the look and feel of totally smooth skin on myself and my partner. Males who sport mustaches and beards, or have hairy bodies in general, is a huge turnoff to me.

I have previously stated here at the Haven that I also shave my face (as do many female models), arms and legs daily regardless of the season (ie, summer, winter). The benefits of facial shaving are many - especially making oneself look younger, less prone to acne (no hairs to collect oil/dirt), and the list goes on.

When my husband/male SO also has smooth skin . . . well, let's just say that it's very sensual and leave it at that. :wink:

There is definitely no 'prepubescent attraction' for Virginia, myself, and probably most others who also prefer smooth skin 'down there'. Even the thought of anything being deemed a 'prepubescent attraction' gives me the willies. :sick:

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

I guess I'm just an 'ol fuddy duddy then.

Many years ago, my husband surprised me with a clean shaved dickydo. Maybe hoping I would do the same. It didn't work. Except for medical reasons, I'm not putting sharp objects near there, I don't run with scissors either.

Anyway, he didn't look like a grown up man till it grew back and was a turn off. We all have our preferences though.
I miss his arm and upper chest hair and mostly the beard. Perhaps we will experiment again. Nah, the maintenance seems like too much bother. Honestly, neither of us shaves anywhere everyday.

Didn't mean to go off topic either.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Andrea F.
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Andrea F. »

For me, I just like the smoothness and bald look with regards to my pubes. It has nothing to do with the prepubescent look but more in touch with my feminine side. When I slip on a pair of soft and silky panties, the sensations are heightened and your more aware of your panties. About 4 and a half years ago, I was a very hairy lady and took the bold step to take a razor everywhere and rid myself of the disgusting look. Now I just love how bare and smooth I look and feel in my clothes like any lady should be. It is also much more hygienic to be rid of pubic hair. So I do agree with SilverLady on this one. I am not even afraid to use 5 blade razors on my pubis. Just lather up and go nice and slow. Be gentle and pull the skin taught. After that, a nice feminine smelling lotion helps to enhance the prettiness.
Alisa
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Alisa »

I'm a little slow on the pickup cause, I have to admit, I did not get the connection between shaving and prepubescent attraction... giggle... but forgot to mention my landing patch. Anyway here is a fun fact: "during the Roman Empire having pubic hair was considered uncivilized"... (from http://www.elle.com/beauty/makeup-skin- ... r-removal/) but for me it just helps me feel fresh and clean and well yea a little sexy.

I know this is getting a little off topic but has anyone tried electrolysis?
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Andrea F. wrote: It is also much more hygienic to be rid of pubic hair.
Yes, that is absolutely correct . . . and that also applies to 'body hair' in general which tends to 'attract and trap' dirt, oils, sweat and the like which leads to more body odor in general.

Update: Link to article reinforcing what I have stated previously: women do shave their faces and there is a real benefit to doing so! :mrgreen:

The Surprising Reason Why Some Women Are Shaving Their Faces

Women's Health
August 20, 2015

"It’s not all about hair removal.

Marilyn Monroe was rumored to do it first. More recently, Caroline Manzo of The Real Housewives of New Jersey said she swears by it, while former Bachelor contestant Michelle Money uploaded a YouTube tutorial on how to DIY.

I’m talking about shaving your face, and it’s a weekly beauty ritual that I swear by, too."

Full article here: https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/the-surpri ... 31223.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------