something to do?

General talk about CD/TGing and gender topics that aren't necessarily fun things we do while en femme, or for gender-driven discussions.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Virginia
Goddess of the Universe

something to do?

Post by Virginia »

I just came across a news release from one of our local stations.

There is an organization here in Roanoke called "Straight Street" that is a place for "troubled" teens to go. It is well chaperoned and allows them to have a safe place to "hang out!" It does have some religious leanings, but more generic.

Anyway, a Mary Bowley from Atlanta has started a "shelter" there for victims of sex trafficking. She was here in Roanoke on Thursday and met with some 80 LEO's, judges, federal agents, forensic nurses to train them in how to deal with these type of victims. She is "partnering" with Roanoke's "Straight Street" to open a shelter here with the intent of building a place by next year.

We all know the situations that a lot of CD/TG kids get into including being thrown out of their homes by parents who don't understand and they end up "on the street" soliciting or being pimped out and they get beat-up, hooked on drugs, infected with diseases or even killed!

I have talked to my girlfriend and we have agreed to contact the administrator at Straight Street and offer to get involved to help any of these kids that might be of "our ilk!" I have no idea how that will be received. I do know that there is only one or two MSW's in the area that can even spell transgendered so I would hope they would welcome our help. On the other hand and I hope it does not become this, but some religious zealot feels he can "convert" those of us who have "gone astray."

I have no idea what to expect but I am going to stick my nose in it and see what happens. I will go "en drab" as if I end up having to "'splain" things to them, it seems to have more of an impact from a male than a female.

I will keep you posted as this proceeds. It will be Tuesday or Wednesday before I can get there, but it will be interesting, I am sure!

V
First star to the right, then straight on 'till mornin!
Kelly
Miss Golden Goddess

Re: something to do?

Post by Kelly »

Wow. Your taking a big bite out of a big sandwich. Good for you.

There are two issues to deal with that I see.

First. Dealing with what ever reaction the two sets of staff (one "straight street', the other shelter) to the transgender world. Even though they talk the talk of tolerance, it will be interesting to see how well they can walk the walk.

Second. Servicing the kids. This is really the more important of the two, by far. But success in the first issue is a prerequisite. Keeping everything straight and keeping the eye on the real goal is important. I applaud you recognizing the opportunity, your willingness to do, and for taking the initiative.

My family has had not unrelated experience. The difference is that what you are talking about is 'bushy and shallow' we went 'narrow and deep'. A little over four years ago, we took a very at risk teen into our home. My wife and my intension was to integrate her into our family and guide her to a happy, safe, and productive life as an adult. The jury is still out on that, and probably will be for another four or five years. Over the years I can say that we have experienced the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. My eyes have been opened and my jaw has dropped as I have seen the abject failure of our society in taking care of our children.

Saying that it is bushy and shallow doesn't do justice to the amount of effort (and emotional energy) you are committing. It is more than you can possibly imagine, but with love and commitment can be the biggest reward.

I wish for all the success. Please keep us posted.

Kelly
I thought a CD was something you stuck in a computer
Virginia
Goddess of the Universe

Post by Virginia »

Thanks so much for your input, Kelly. Some years ago, before "the government" had all the answers, I worked with a YMCA program in a moderate size city in a program they called helping "dependent/neglect children." Needless to say these were virtually all inner-city kids who we kept in this old YMCA dorm. We, as supervisors, altered staying nights to "control" these children. I can tell you a lot of what I learned went into my Masters' thesis. So I can say, been there done that and learned from it! Oh, I was not "out" back then, not that I am out now, I am me.................... well that's another story!

What I see is if we are accepted and the situation presents itself, it will not be as intense as my former experience. Not too much different that sharing with my sisters here on this forum. Just letting them know that they are not as unique as they may think, they are not alone and there are people around like them and that want to help them in their journey. I know some may have deep emotional scars and may be beyond my capacity to get into their heads, but the resources should be available or can be made to be available for those who need that kind of help. We would be doing a bit of a screening as well.

I have some idea of what I would be getting into if it comes to be. On the other hand I don't see that we would be dealing with, at most, two or three at any given time, but we will see. The other challenge would be having to deal with the "peer pressure" that the other kids would put on them and the educational requirements to make the "straight" kids be more accepting. It would be a team effort.

Thanks again for your insight and also for your participation in the forum. We all hope to make a difference and it is girls like you that can help us get there!

Virginia
Virginia
Goddess of the Universe

Post by Virginia »

Well as luck would have it, I was cutting grass today and got bit on my hip/waist by an overly friendly flying insect, wasp, hornet, horsefly, never saw it. I can not wear anything that touches it, skirt, pants, shorts. I will wait until after Labor Day to set up an appointment.