Anniversary of a truly wonderful day

General talk about CD/TGing and gender topics that aren't necessarily fun things we do while en femme, or for gender-driven discussions.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Toni_Lynn_P
Miss Emerald Goddess

Anniversary of a truly wonderful day

Post by Toni_Lynn_P »

For almost all girls, especially if they grew up in the 190s and 1970s, getting your first bra was a big deal -- I mean a really big deal! Likewise for me, it was a big deal too, and today, 5 February is the 44th anniversary of me getting my first bra.

Now, I first wore a pair of panties when I was about 11 or so. They were my sister's. I didn't do it all that often, but as I approached age 13, the frequency increased. from maybe once every few months to once a week. And then at age 13 something happened. Something that to some boys is a curse, but for me it something so very joyful . It was gynecomastia. It was then that I tried on one of my mum's bras. Problem was that just as my sister's panties were too small, my mum's bras were too big. I wanted to be just like the other girls at school. As now, back then, I wanted to wear what ever fit me without extra stuff, like wearing a bra all padded out with rolled up socks etc. In other words, back then I wanted to wear what I would be wearing if I was a, pardon the term, 'real' girl.

I formulated a plan. I would take my allowance and go to the GC Murphy 5 & 10 cent store in town and buy my own panties. I of course realised, even then, that this was something I had to do myself. I knew that I could not realy on my mum to buy a training bra for me, for her prejudice was apparent even then.

My school had a half day for the students on 5 February 1970. It was a snowy day. My mum was at the hospital with my grandma. My dad was at work. I was walking home. I vividly remember the events at 1PM as I entered the store, G C Murphy's 5 and 10, on that snowy day. My plan was to simply buy my own panties instead of always wearing ones belonging to my sister. The store was L shaped and wrapped around the a big building. It had hardwood floors and wooden sales displays. School house style light fixtures hung from the ceiling. At each of the entrances there were two cash registers. There was a basement where they sold housewares, hardware, and boys and men's clothes. That was not where I wanted to be, down in the cold below-ground world, for on the street level floor you had the school supplies, the candy counter, and phonograph records, and in the corner of that L, the girls department. I had around $3.50 to spend and figured that I could probably buy 3 pair of panties. I had measured myself for size using the J C Penney catalog as a guide. Life was so different then, and one could buy panties for 79 cents a pair! The panties were all arranged in little sections in the wooden display case, with glass dividers separating the sizes.

I picked 3 pair of panties and started to head to the cash counter, very much like a kid in a candy store I was in overload mode. When I saw the trainings bras though, I knew exactly want I wanted. The training bras where all in a rack at the end of one of the display cases. Before I knew it I had a Teencharm 071 in my hands, and went to the cash register, shaking inside. :shock: Fortunately, I did not have to go to cash registers at the entrances. The store was arranged such that at the corner of the L you had stairs that went up to a small accounting office along one wall, a girl's changing room tucked in the corner along the other wall, and a cash register next to the changing booth. The woman took my money and never batted an eye. Just as they say of a barking dog, the dog is more scared of you than you are of it, I was more fearful of being found out than she was in finding out. I remember asking if the size I chose would fit 'my sister' because she had a certain waist size. I probably also almost overreacted by having to mumble something with a phony disgusted tone in my voice about not knowing why I had to buy underwear for her. The woman put my bra and panties in a small brown paper bag and I rushed home through the snow to begin my first official day as a girl.

I remember Apollo 14 was landing on the moon as I stood in the bathroom and tried on my training bra and my panties. I held up the box to see if I looked like the girl on the box. I did -- albeit with short hair.Plus -- I was really excited about the way it made my gynecomastia induced boobs look right

I quickly put on my shirt and jeans and went to watch the astronauts on the moon. I wore my training bra all day and even under my pj's that night. I even wore them to school.

Within a month I bought a second, A Teenform Pretty Please. And I bought more panties. Before long I was wearing them almost everyday. That is until my mum found them and made me burn them and then abused me.

Of course I was back at it -- with new panties and a new training bra -- within a month. And yes -- I still wore them to school

Years later, thanks to eBay, I was able to replace my first training bras, The Teencharm and the Teenform ones. They are my prized possessions

For those of us now in our 50s and older, the mystique of the training bra of that era is an awesome thing. Unlike the teen bras of today, back then a training bra was a purpose built item, that fulfilled not only a physical need, but an emotional one as well. They were an item designed not to mimic adult styles as they are today, but rather gently and sweetly welcome a girl into a whole new world. For me, my first training bra did just that.

I some ways getting my first bra was like getting a membership card in a club. And so today, I look back with a smile for I too experienced that which every girl gets to experience -- a wonderful nexus between my life and theirs -- a reaffirmation of who I am. It is a day and an event that I shall always be thankful for

Hugs

Toni-Lynn

*** Topic moved to proper forum by SL. ***
Requal Jo
Miss Ruby Goddess

Re: Anniversary of a truly wonderful day

Post by Requal Jo »

A beautiful story Toni and a long cherished memory.

The first bra I wore was my sister's. I did try on my mother's however it was too large. My sister's was just right.

We girls ought to be thankful to our sisters for our younger years for the clothing they provided for use to enjoy.
Requal
Marissa Mae
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Marissa Mae »

As a bra-holic for whom bras are the quintessence of the femme mystery I really empathized with your account. How evocative that peculiar term "training bra" is! Wish I'd started with one.

Love, Marissa Mae
Toni_Lynn_P
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Toni_Lynn_P »

Marissa Mae wrote:How evocative that peculiar term "training bra" is!
Yes indeed -- for it certainly helped train me to be the girl that I am today!

It is kinda cool how so many of the booklets and ads from back then actually present the argument that for many a bra may not yet be physically needed, but how emotionally and mentally the need is there. That is were a training bra comes in to play because for us a physical need may not be present, (although for me it was with gynecomastia), but oh wow - -emotionally its was just the ticket to tell em that what I felt inside was real

Hugs

Toni-Lynn