LGBTQ Rainbow Sticker a good or a bad idea?

General talk about CD/TGing and gender topics that aren't necessarily fun things we do while en femme, or for gender-driven discussions.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

LGBTQ Rainbow Sticker a good or a bad idea?

Post by Anne Bonny »

Out for my daily 5k thought occurred to me Why not create an LGBTQ Rainbow Sticker which could be distributed to all Businesses, Personnel Offices, Hotels, Motels, Restaurants, University and college level Schools, Malls...everywhere. Which would mean that whoever displays the sticker is LGBTQ friendly, that they do not discriminate based of sexuality or gender. I believe because we are a large group of people with an even wider group of supporters businesses who do not display the sticker might see it is in their interest monitarily to do so. If the sticker is not displayed they would potentially lose sales, students, etc.

Is this a good idea or a bad idea?
Go with the flow
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Re: LGBTQ Rainbow Sticker a good or a bad idea?

Post by DonnaT »

It's a good idea, for those willing to display their pride and having no fear of getting their car vandalized.

However, it's been done.
DonnaT
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Anne Bonny wrote: I believe because we are a large group of people with an even wider group of supporters businesses who do not display the sticker might see it is in their interest monitarily to do so.
Actually, most statistics put the GLBT 'group' at around 2% of the population in the USA, and yes, it may be slightly larger than that because many will not admit they are GLBT for whatever personal reasons they may have.

Regardless, the number of GLBT 'group members' is nowhere near as large as you are imagining . . . they are just very vocal.

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anne Bonny »

It is amazing what that vocal few has accomplished. I did not really think about the small percent...But! there are many people outside the community who support us, increasing the percent significantly. And that is primarily how that pressure would work... it would be kind of psychological when they wonder how many may stay away and go elsewhere because that sticker is not in the window. Well that was the idea. Business men are data driven and would make that calculation... well just an idea. It wouldn't be on cars for pride it would be on the front window or door of a business and it would tell those in the community and their supporters that this business is open for business for the LGBT community.
Go with the flow
Noeleena
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Noeleena »

Hi,

What was done in NZ was a booklet was printed with those who were friendly no matter what they were them selfs and are / were stocked at womens groups and womens center,s that I have been involved with ,

Im not involved with the LGBT here in NZ though I was with our rainbow familys group in Dunedin some years ago . .

Okay that as it is , myself im just a female involved with in society and our many groups and we don't have any with in our area that would be interested from what I know and see , not to say those who are hidden away .

My thinking is be known get known make friends with people and youll have lots of people who know you and you them join up with groups and this would be a far better way to have friendships and......go talk to those people .

This is what I have done for years and still do and when we meet theres no need to be treated in any other way than this is you and living life where you need to ,

In the real world I don't need to be treated any different form those around me and why should I,
i,m normal like other people .

I think some would like to think they are different and need some form of id to say as much,
look at both sides .

...noeleena...
Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anne Bonny »

I have really been opening up and blossoming of late more than ever! Being gender fluid is just another trait like being brown haired or blonde. It is not orentation or anything else. I am who I am! I am ... well you can read what I wrote today in my diary if you wish. I am lovin' life right now things are just really going well for me as far as my being gender fluid...
Go with the flow
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Davita »

BTW... Did anyone look to see if stickers exist? See http://www.cafepress.com/+lgbt+bumper-stickers and this is just one company. Obviously there are enough people that think they are a good idea so that someone can make a buck.
{squeezes}
Davita
Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anne Bonny »

Yeah...who knows.... Just an idea. I think somebody way up in the "LGBTdum" would have to pick it up and develop it if it happened to be worthy...I'm not worthy.....not a very good idea any way....oh well....
Go with the flow
Rikki
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Rikki »

A gay friend who does consulting on LGBT issues in the workplace recommends the "Equals Sign" sticker for the window of businesses who welcome all flavors of folks. =

=
Rikki
Be safe, Be frilled
Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anne Bonny »

Good, I think it's a good idea, equals sign if fine. I'm glad businesses somewhere are doing this.
Go with the flow
Trudy
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Trudy »

Personally I like the idea and would definitely frequent an establishment that had the courage to openly advertise the fact it welcomes the LGBT community. Sadly in today's society there are too many y crazies out there that would not only openly avoid such an establishment but also possibily vandalize it.