So Happy Now That I Have Bought Some New Tights/Pantyhose

General talk about CD/TGing and gender topics that aren't necessarily fun things we do while en femme, or for gender-driven discussions.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Belinda
Miss Emerald Goddess

So Happy Now That I Have Bought Some New Tights/Pantyhose

Post by Belinda »

My desire to dress as Belinda was stronger than ever last weekend. I just had to cheer myself up by stocking up on some new pairs of tights. I am currently out on a budget due to being out of work so I had to largely buy the cheaper brands from the U.K chain store Peacocks. They are not great but are serviceable and are quite kind to my legs and only start to snag after I have worn them too many times. The best tights I bought were from the Bon Marche store which caters for middle age ladies. Bought a really nice 3 pair pack of Natural tights for £3.50, they fit well and give my legs the look of a smart professional middle aged lady which was awesome. In order to make room for thirteen new pairs of tights I sorted out my old snagged ones and washed and dried my existing ones. All in all a good day and the shopping experience was positive sales girls behind the counter were friendly and non judgemental.
Eileen (SO)

Re: So Happy Now That I Have Bought Some New Tights/Pantyhos

Post by Eileen (SO) »

It takes practice to not snag hosiery or tights. Careful of your finger nails and rings can be a problem during potty breaks. Looking pretty is not so easy as it looks. Husband and I wear the same size, he's taller, I'm wider. :sigh: We buy by the bagful when on sale through a catalog.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Belinda
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Belinda »

Good advice Eileen. I have ruined some lovely pairs of expensive fine hosiery due to my fingernails. I always take my rings off when I dress. There is only one downside to wearing my beloved tights and that's regular trips to the bathroom, they tend to take their toll on the waistband of my tights. I will have to invest in some gloves when I shop for premium hosiery next time.

xx
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

My first husband used to joke that Hanes should sell pre-run pantyhose to save us the bother of doing it ourselves. I always told him "Why spoil all the fun we have running themselves ourselves?" :lol:

It seems like they always run at the most inopportune times. I know back in the days when I worked in an office I as well as just about every woman kept at least one spare pair in her desk. Generally I had a pair of skin tone and a pair of black in my desk as we'll as a pair of skin tone in my briefcase. Yes runs happen regardless of how careful you are. Making sure your hands are not rough and no chips or snags on your nails helps but you will still get runs and snags. Car doors, desk corners, pulling them on or off, the powder room are all common spots to get them but I have had them run just walking across a room. The best way to minimize this is to buy good pantyhose, the real cheap ones as well as the ultra expensive ones seem to be most prone IMHO. Also the sheerer the hose the quicker to run. Also buy hose that fits. If you are close to the top end of a size range go up a size.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

It seems that the best way to discover a nicked fingernail is after it ruins your PH! I've never bought 'premium' brands, always went with the affordable ones. Since neither of us wear PH more than a few hours at a time, or more than a few times a month, a 3 pack for $15 lasts a long time.
Then there are the occasional 12 pack bulk sales where we stock up.

Anyway Belinda, I glad you broke down and replaced the old and worn out hosiery. It feels so nice to have legs in PH. Just a hint, you can stop runs from traveling too far with a dab of nail polish.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Belinda
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Belinda »

Thanks Eileen I will do that.
Belinda
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Belinda »

I love sheer black tights but I am always nervous about putting them on as they are so delicate. Luckily I have no such problems with thick denier black tights, they are so robust and comfy I am wearing a pair right now with a black skirt and low heel court shoes.