Breaking in shoes

General talk about CD/TGing and gender topics that aren't necessarily fun things we do while en femme, or for gender-driven discussions.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Penelope Carol
Miss Emerald Goddess

Breaking in shoes

Post by Penelope Carol »

How long does it take to properly break in a new pair of ladies shoes? It is just seven months since I went outside dressed for the first time and for my first excursions, which were towards the end of the winter, I wore boots. Early in the summer, guessing boots might get uncomfortable in hot weather, I bought a pair of flat-soled slip-on shoes. The first time I wore them, although they are the correct size, they cut my heels quite badly in the short walk to and from a shop just around the corner. Since then I've worn them again for a visit to a shop just a little further away and this time there were no problems, however this morning I went out in them for a much longer trip, to a superstore about two miles away (yes, I walked!). When I had almost reached the store I noticed they had started cutting my heels. Perhaps they are just not really suitable for such a long walk in a single go. Or maybe this long walk has helped significantly to break them in. Opinions please, they will be much appreciated.
Penny
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Re: Breaking in shoes

Post by Davita »

Honestly, I don't think a good shoe needs much breaking in. As for your particular flats cutting into your heel? I have found almost all my various flats have that problem. I use the various tapes and pads you can buy to make ladies shoes (or men's) more comfortable. Obviously someone knows you aren't going to be so lucky with all your choices and so they have those products.

As you do your shoe shopping, pay attention to the brands and styles. For example, Madden Girl shoes, to me, seem narrower than Madden shoes. Many of my wedges tend to be wider at the ball of the foot than the same supposed fit of my pumps. Sadly when we get to try on shoes, walks up and down the aisles at the stores just don't tend to tell you if the shoe will be comfortable in the long run. Those walks only tell you of the extremes, like they are going to be very comfortable or they are going to chew on you in places and make you whole day out miserable. There are a few brands of flats that I will never buy again and one reason was the way they ate my heel. Oh, one last thing with flats... Some flats simply have no cushion, no support -- nothing but a cute look. They are going to feel miserable after a few hours of walking. They could fit perfect, but you might as well be walking barefoot in the stores since they offer nothing soft under your foot.

Honestly, if I don't want to spend the day walking in heels, then I will go for wedges or my flats. If I'm going to spend the day shopping and it's a cooler day, then I just as soon where my tennies because they have never given me problems. I wear my heels primarily for the event to which I am going, but I don't stay in them any longer than neccessary and I always carry flats if I am running around before or after the event.

A long time ago, I heard Opra used to measure her shoes' comfort in hours; I think she is right to do it that way.
{squeezes}
Davita
Penelope Carol
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Penelope Carol »

Thanks Davita. that's a very helpful reply. I've only set foot outdoors en femme a few times so I'm still learning. So if I want to wear them for more than an hour or so in the future it's on with the Compeed. And maybe I'll buy my next pair in a shop where I can see and touch exactly what I'm buying instead of online.
Penny
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

Sounds like the shoes may be breaking you in, instead of you breaking in the shoes. I always have an extra pair of shoes when weaing a new pair. And actually almost always have a second pair along anyway. I am either getting too old for heels all day or need to start wearing them more often to get my feet use to them.

8)
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Penelope Carol
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Penelope Carol »

Thanks Kimberly, that's another good idea. I asked this question on another site and someone has suggested freezing them overnight and getting them out of the freezer about an hour before wearing them! She admits it sounds weird but I can see some sense in it!
Penny
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Far too many woman's shoes are made for how they look instead of for comfort. Any shoe that cuts is a bad fit. It may be intimidating to do, but get your tootsies measured using the woman's scale. You most likely need a wide width.

As usual, Davita is spot on. Flats are uncomfortable, my everyday shoe choices are the tennies (we called them gym shoes, but schools don't have gym class anymore) and what looks like hiking boots.

Don't buy shoes for status, buy for comfort.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Heather W »

I'm with Davita on this one. Good shoes really don't need to be broken in. Buying shoes in hopes they will "stretch out" is as silly as buying a skirt too small "Because you are going to lose weight." Either they fit and are comfortable when you first put them on or they will never be so. I have never bought shoes online, I prefer to touch and try before I buy them. I am sure there are many places where you can do that Penelope.

I have found true flats not that comfortable. A slight heel, even 1/4", IMHO makes them much more comfy and easier to walk in.
The time is always right to do what is right
Martin Luther Ling Jr
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

WHAT ARE YOU SAYING????????
I have piles of skirts that will fit me pretty soon, when I lose just a few more pounds; and the MOST IMPORTANT criteria for a shoe is how cute it is!!!!!

That being said, if you want a cute shoe, that fits well and lasts, be prepared to spend some serious money. You won't find them at Payless. They are out there though and for a shoe that you will wear every day they are totally worth it. I'll admit I do own some cheap shoes, but they are for occasional use just because they happen to match a dress or something and I only wear them a few hours at a time. If I were walking a few miles, I'd be wearing a shoe that was meant for that.