Health National Geographic Puts a Young Trans Girl on cover

General talk about CD/TGing and gender topics that aren't necessarily fun things we do while en femme, or for gender-driven discussions.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

Re: Health National Geographic Puts a Young Trans Girl on co

Post by Anne Bonny »

I agree...that was a hypothetical...yes Parents are the advocates for their children. I am not a fan of government stepping in because it can become authoritarian at that point. I don't like that. Like the problem your school if facing at this time. There has to be a better way to come to some kind of accommodation without having the jack boot of the federal government impose expenses that break a small town. I also agree children have a right to privacy and should not be subjected to being in the presence of another sex in showers or bath or changing areas. I do believe there should be private areas... a single serve or big enough to serve what is needed... bath and restroom should be provided for children who are other especially when there are only one or a very few of them in a school. This is and has always been my personal stance on these issues.

The story ... may or may not sell issues...probably will on the east and west coast more than in other places, but hey...I purchased one because I was interested but mine had about 12 people on the front..January issue. And no centerfold! Darn! I bet the parents/child received some money, perhaps not. That decision rested with the parent, and the child was willing and probably had a long track record establishing their identity...I do believe the numbers are seeming go grow because there is comfort coming out of the shadows...and there are many more who going through a stage want to make claims. I had a son who went fem and goth and told me he was gay....I just rolled my eyes told him I was TG...touche! I told him I loved him and always would no matter what. Today he is a fireman, Married, living in their own home and I have a cough cough gr...gra....I told them they can call me "Grand Father" like old lodge skins (Chief Dan George) in Little Big Man. His wife had a child and through the courts that cute little boy now carries my last name as well... If I have to be technically something I reject... ugh..,."Grand Father" "Snake woman....bring me my elk burial robe...it is a good day to die..." Not!!! If I ignore it maybe it will just go away...
Go with the flow
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Anne, our school's problem is that the anatomically male, identifies as girl, child would prefer a private area for gym class. The mom insists she be with the girls for potty breaks and gym. Every mother's child is special in her eyes. Children are not fully formed emotionally or sexually and just like your son, may change how they think of themselves over time. Our local child may have been just a curiosity, but lawyered up, pain in the britches mom is not acting in her child's best interest, and thus creating the hatred and name calling by her own actions.
By the time this this gets resolved and gone through the courts, this child will be a teenager near through with High School or much later on.

I'm sure actual TG numbers haven't changed, more are willing to become public now than before, so it seems there are much more now. That's most likely going to have a positive impact on the high rate of suicide.
My husband's group has a private newsletter containing one article about the NGS issue. The entire magazine is dedicated to this one subject, including binary and gender fluidity. One interesting aspect is a possible connection to autism. Gender non conformist are 7 times more likely to have some level of autism. Since autism is on the rise, or better diagnosed, perhaps a connection to a seemingly rise in TG's?

Also, the NGS cable channel in early Feb., will feature a 6 yo Colorado youth starting her transition. This is where I'm incredulous. A 6 yo does not have the maturity to decide a life altering treatment. A minor can't get a tattoo even with a parents consent. But permanent hormone treatment and surgery is ok? I see a lot of family lawsuits in the future.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Anthony Simon
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Anthony Simon »

The sort of public response this girl is going to get...People must be familiar with the sort of hate-filled responses you get under articles (often quite positive) on TG issues. I find these hard to read, much less live with or respond to - and I'm an adult.

But there are some families in which TG or CD children get that very sort of response - I mean the hate is within the family itself. So, if you have a TG girl on the cover of this sort of respected publication, it at least gives TG or CD children, with that sort of hate in the family, the idea that there is another way.

Personally, I did have abuse of that sort as a child. It was very debilitating.
Socrates: The highest wisdom is to know that you know nothing.

Bill and Ted: That's us, dude.
Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anne Bonny »

Yes. It is a huge issue for all of us. I just posted something that relates... if interested see: A huge day...Acceptance I would move it here but my long diatribes....would not be appropriate will leave it a separate post...I put it under coping because part of coping is our finding acceptance and then being more able to live and be who we are freely and openly in life.

I have always liked this quote I have it on a beautiful poster of a man single handing at the helm of his beautiful sailing vessel with teak decks....shot from behind...the man silhouetted boat gently listing to the right as he sails for the horizon...

"If one advances confidently
In the direction of his dreams

And endeavors to live a life
Which he has imagined

He will meet with a success unexpected
In common dreams"

Henry David Thoreau
Go with the flow
Martina Hall
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Martina Hall »

I read the article in NG magazine, and now I am confused. Am I gender fluid, genderqueer, gender non-conforming, or just a cross-dresser who would like to be accepted, whatever words are used to describe oneself.
Who would have suspected so many definitions? As if things aren't confusing enough.
I AM my own hot girlfriend.