Developing your female voice

General talk about CD/TGing and gender topics that aren't necessarily fun things we do while en femme, or for gender-driven discussions.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

Developing your female voice

Post by Anne Bonny »

Ok, I have advocated being your authentic self and not play act as in affecting a feminine voice and mannerisms....I have been against all of this. But I have come across a couple interesting vids on you tube...  https://youtu.be/hWHGS7s7ffY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWHGS7s7ffY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and https://youtu.be/q6eTvS2wIUc which piqued my interest. 

I should clarify that I most definitely am gender fluid and transitioning would be a definite no for myself because my gender does swing into my male if it never did well... that would be different but here I am at 59 struggling to maintain my looks and if I am not there at this late date then I am basically at my end point...having my ears pierced and becoming accustomed to slightly longer hair overcoming a style change from my ingrained look is hard enough.

The first youtube link above the person is drop dead gorgeous and I am so envious and discouraged... Yes...she is a transsexual!!! You kind of have to rub your eyes and look again it is truly amazing!! If I were still young and could come out looking like her with her accent and voice.....um. But...No I have a general american accent that drifts into some country southern on occasion a product of growing up all over the United States. I know because I have been told I do not have a southern accent...or have been asked where are you from? Oh well. I did look at several other of her videos and you can see her body as she works wanting a larger bum, slimmer shoulders and arms and becomes softer...still as a transsexual gee I would consider marrying her she is a knock out! That's saying quite a lot but she is very attractive and is very easy on the eyes of a hetero male such as myself. Wow...very attractive...

So why would or should a part timer be interested in practicing to develop a woman's voice? It takes about a year and a lot of practice. Well, the answer is that we don't but how many out there have a guitar leaning up against a wall somewhere and from time to time pick it up and fool around with it? Well...it's like that...more of a fun hobby we can practice and play with after all it is not all that difficult it is just something you have to become accustomed to. and being part time girls....well we may not use hormones or have surgery but we do shave our legs and body hair where it should not be...we polish our nails...we groom our eye brows and apply make up...we grow, shape buff and even polish our nails don't we? We wear bras with breast forms in them and grow and style our hair or wear a wig. We enjoy all the lingerie and clothing, shoes and jewelry. So doesn't developing a second natural voice in the female vocal range naturally go along with all of that. I don't know about you but I like to experience everything possible for me to experience about being a woman because this other part of my self just is...

I may only be gender fluid and part time but while I am in my feminine self...I am there.

Funny thing is I have learned that developing a female voice for transsexuals and full time cross dressers is not play acting. they become accustomed to it and do it without thinking about it and their voice is amazingly identical to that of any woman. I learned they have to do this because testosterone thickens our vocal cords and that taking Estrogen and surgery ...orchiectomy ... does not change any of that so unless they have a vocal cord proceedure they simply learn to sing an octave higher until they do it without thinking about it anymore...muscle memory and unthinking habit. Think about the things you do without thinking about them ever tried getting in another car and find yourself reaching for perhaps the shift knob...out of habit even though you have borrowed a car with an automatic transmission? You do it without even thinking and that is the same thing that happens here with the voice you speak in all the time after long enough you have to think to shift to the male range because you never use it anymore.

I do not believe I will get that far but it is not that difficult to increase the pitch until my vibrations ascend completely out of my chest and move up to the location of my voice box Larynx. It is not a falsetto ... a true female voice overlaps the upper range of our male voice...then there is simply adding in inflection and some emotion and flow rather than chopping our speech like a machete at the end of our words or barking them out. Place your fingers just below your larynx until you feel the vibrations there rather than the deep booming loud ones eminating in your bronchioles or upper chest. A woman's voice does on the lower part of her range reach down to that of a tenor male. It does take practice to not overdo all of this...listening to women and slowing down a little can help.

I can say I do feel I have found 75-80% of my feminine voice with very little effort and practice just since yesterday after listening to her tips which are really very good.

Now I have been out. I must say hum? ...Am I flying out over my ski's here?? Thing is this is like inhaling helium...suddenly I find I feel like a balloon tethered to the ground with a piece of string as if I am floating around a bit... That is an effect I definitely do not want so I have to work to keep myself grounded and real...women do not float like a sissy...they are relaxed. I am also beginning to fear that if I were to do this too much for too long that my voice might indeed become stuck...really... I mean that I might begin to shift up here without thinking...there is a fear of that if you do it enough to become accustomed to something habitual and muscle memory kicks in and you start flying on auto pilot. If I do this enough I may find I do it without thinking...earlier I went for groceries I had to consciously think...clearing my throat and think "ok male voice" cut it out....

There is a normal female vocal range if you listen to women...they really do speak in a higher vocal range...there is slight breathiness at times there are rises and falls of inflection and women really do infuse their emotion into their speaking, it is not cut an dried, chopped and truncated with strength confidence and command and assertion that booms out loudly without really thinking about it only men do that. Women don't really think about what they are doing either. But their, women, voice is not falsetto...it is more in the mid range dropping just along the upper range of the male's. May be a little slower...well slowing the voice down and concentrating helps some...it is something to get used to.

Anyway I think it can be fun to learn to play our vocal instrument like an amateur yet have enough success to find our true feminine voice and that is the goal just kind of a fun thing to play at. It's just something to have fun with... If we venture out or perhaps on the phone it might be occasionally appropriate for us depending on how confident we are? Any takers?
Go with the flow
Martha G
Miss Golden Goddess

Re: Developing your female voice

Post by Martha G »

I do have sort of a high voice. I have been mistaken as a woman on the telephone many times.

A couple of times when I have been out as a man and spoke to someone with their back to me they thought that I was a woman.

When dressed I have feminized my voice somewhat, but would like to perfect my female voice as I go along.

Making an attractive and passable woman when dressed, I would like to get the voice in sync as well.

Anyway, it's fun trying!
I AM NOW A WOMAN- I FOUND MYSELF
Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

Re: Developing your female voice

Post by Anne Bonny »

It is really not that difficult to get most of the way there relatively quickly. But it seems to get all the way there takes about 20 minutes of practice every day at a minimum over about a year! Listen to women and you realize their average range is higher than that of a male. If you place you hand on your chest and speak in your normal male voice you feel quite a bit of vibration. Now do this...continue to speak as normal, but this time raise your pitch until you feel the vibrations at your voice box but not so much on your chest...there may still be very minor and occasional vibrations there but 90 percent of the vibrations should now be felt over your vocal cords. A female vocal range slightly overlaps the upper level of a man's when a man inflects words to the top of their vocal range in normal conversation. If you start pronouncing words and speaking differently and sound like you just inhaled helium...you are too high. Women if you listen to them have a normal conversational voice it's just definitely at a higher pitch...no kidding! Pretty simple.

I saw someone on you tube who talked about an app that will tell you when your vocalizations are at the correct pitch...I want to go back and find that person and try that app. Because just raising your pitch while slowing a little and concentrating and maintaining and continuing to speak as you normally would only at a higher pitch then you are 90% there and it is not that difficult once you have that down you can go there at any time and may even get so used to it that it becomes your normal voice. Transsexuals have done just that and have to think to drop it to their male voice they become so used to speaking that way they do it without even having to think about it.

The harder part is that women do infuse emphasis with emotion and use more words where a man will chop what he is saying off after barking it out.... Learning that and making their occasional ups and downs also in emphasizing a point or placing emphasis on a part of a sentence ....This I find much much more difficult.

I think it may help to concentrate on and to really listen to women as they speak and then to remember things you pick up and try to work them in until they become habitual...perhaps by hanging out with lots of women.

Thing is if you want this for yourself....then you can achieve it.

I just did the free download of pitchlab which is really a guitar tuner app that will tell you what pitch you are currently speaking in...you aim to be at a C3...it will move slightly up perhaps to B or around a little but C is the target in the middle of the female vocal range and is where you want to be...I suppose if you were to speak in a monotone you could keep it on C3 continuously but women don't speak in a monotone so don't be concerned if it jumps around a little as long as C keeps popping up because it is in the middle of your female voice range. Then pull out something to read and practice reading while speaking at C3...Just that easy This has to be the best suggestion I have come across.

Here... https://youtu.be/Wq43BGNeAzQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ...is the link to see it demonstrated but beware this person will "Bitch Slap" you stating if you are not a post op transsexual you need to go away now!...then she explains about the app and demonstrates.

It was an easy down load and I don't have any grey static with the tuner...I see a black background with bright green letters and numbers...great app and you can tune your guitar too using your phone. I am planning on having some fun with this. I don't have any Chinese menus...lol....

So now a female voice has become like a computer game to play! This should be fun and accurate, I am going to have fun with my new toy...best suggestion EVER!!!! Personally I believe C4 is almost in the Helium level, and C3 level or the 3 level is a bit of a strain but is about right... The chromatic musical scale is ABCDEFG... Hum...D would be in the exact center of each octave but C3 would be at the correct octave of the average woman's voice at least that seems to be correct for me a C4 is unnaturally high, Women do speak at a higher pitch but most women do not speak like Cindy Lauper which is what I sound like when I speak at the C4 level. ...it depends on your stature...perhaps find a woman who is as tall as you and have her speak in a normal voice and see which range is right. I say stature because small women have a tiny neck circumference and it seems you want a lady who's neck measurement is close to your own...then shoot for the C in whatever octave seems to match her's which I bet will be in the 3 range but hey I am 5'9". So experiment and have fun! The audio tuner is an objective device there are even some relatively inexpensive guitar tuners with a built in speaker to pick up vibrating guitar strings and bet they would work in the same way.

https://youtu.be/hWHGS7s7ffY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; a girl for all seasons is speaking in the 3rd octave so I am right C3 is the correct octive!!! Great!!!! Got It! This is where I was when I raised my vibrations to my voice box but with the tuner I now have an objective check - I am thrilled!!! Woo Hoo!!!! I have been doing it correctly at the right pitch!!! Yeah!!!

speaking my normal male voice is in the level 1F-2 range and with inflection jumps up to 3 momentarily at times...So up a couple octaves would be 3. I am excited about using this online tuner as a very real and completely objective tool for training my voice takes the questioning of myself out of it. It's great!

If you know any poems or famous lines by heart it is fun because you can look directly at the tuner for the pitch as you are speaking without having to move your eyes back and forth. "She was a phantom of delight when first she came into my sight...a vision of....." or "Four score and seven years ago our forefathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and ...." or "Roses are red and violets are blue..." etc.
Go with the flow