Why men wear dresses a short documentary

General talk about CD/TGing and gender topics that aren't necessarily fun things we do while en femme, or for gender-driven discussions.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

Why men wear dresses a short documentary

Post by Anne Bonny »

https://youtu.be/Mf7dCZrQ5sg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Why men wear dresses...found this probably many have seen it on you tube, it is long about 45 minutes as a documentary, and it is dated somewhat (2004) but it still applies and I found it provided some perspectives that are still very fresh and applicable to who we are.
Go with the flow
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Re: Why men wear dresses a short documentary

Post by KimberlyS »

Interesting show. A lot of it hits home. Wonder how big of an audience it was shown to.

kimberlys cd
joe in a skirt
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Anthony Simon
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Anthony Simon »

This was actually a documentary on UK Channel 4 from 2005, when it was called "Why men wear frocks". It was part of a, I'd say, regular stream of documentaries on TG subjects on UK TV - though I think, maybe the first from a straight crossdresser's perspective (or anyway as though it were a perfectly natural thing).

I think, in many ways, it made a significant public figure of Grayson Perry (the originator/presenter) - because he was so out and unabashed about his dressing up. In this he became a co-leader with Eddie Izzard, who also made his crossdressing something to be unembarrassed about.

http://www.gender.org.uk/gendys/2005/29bdiana.htm

This states that the show got an audience of 1.9m.
Socrates: The highest wisdom is to know that you know nothing.

Bill and Ted: That's us, dude.
Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anne Bonny »

Grayson Perry is my new hero...ine...lol...Along with a race car driver I follow Ms Charlie Martin who I would like to marry...well...ha...lol Right! She is just blonde, pretty and has a killer British accent that is to die for!!! Blue eyes too! She knows she is an encouragement to many to go for it! To live your dreams!

Yes I believe it should be matter of fact "out there" That is the correct mindset and attitude to have. About all I can say for myself is that I have a very complete feminine wardrobe, make up kit, etc every thing a woman needs...I have hair that is now much longer than I have ever worn it in my life, and I am in week 4 with my new ear rings in with absolutely no problem will shoot for 8 weeks before I even think of taking them out to put in another pair...I do have lightning bolt studs I purchased and now I will definitely be able to wear them AND have absolutely no problem what so ever wearing them out...wearing the stainless piercing bobs...look like small dumbells...everywhere no one even seems to notice or to comment on them just like going out with legs that are completely hairless, or wearing longer hair for about a year or so.... I am a long way from Grayson Perry just go for it out an proud but then I am not living in a large metropolitan area in the states but in the deep south even though I am on the coast still would probably have to travel to New Orleans where being part of the atmosphere would probably be ok!?

I am not sure what to make of the pot with pedophile pictures!? I was also not aware he likes to dress as a little girl, though it did show him skate boarding in one, and at another time. Dressing little girl is not something I am into...and I am certainly not into pedophilia and do not approve of anything at all with any of that...pedophiles should be in jail. Then again perhaps he has fantasies about being a victim of pedophilia...not sure I ...uh...NO I am not...that entire idea just NO!

All I want is to be a mainstream woman...I simply strive to find the woman I would have been had I been born a woman who would pretty much be me if I were born female that's all...a normal woman who...true enough would enjoy following a woman's lead from time to time...nothing wrong with being able to give way to a female husband or with being a wife with the same modern ideas of equality in society for women...while at the same time enjoying the yielding to my partner in the bedroom, though turn about is also fair play. That is already TMI...sorry.
Go with the flow
Janice
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Janice »

Tried to watch the yutube video but it is not available in my country --- UK
Any suggestions on how I can see it?
Anthony Simon
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Anthony Simon »

You can get from amazon.co.uk as part of a Grayson Perry 2 documentary set for £13.99 (or used for a lot less). I'm guessing it being commercially available here is why you can't watch it on YouTube. I recorded it off the TV and have watched it a few times. I'd probably pay £13.99 for it.

Crystal Joanne
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by Crystal Joanne »

I thought this was a really good documentary. Had to watch it through a proxy since I'm in the UK but I might have to get the two part set on dvd from Amazon now. I saw something a bit similar years ago that was on either ITV or Channel 4, focusing on three friends who were crossdressers, two of them were happy with how they are, the other wanted transition. It was probably from the late 90's or earlier 2000's. I know it had a profound effect on me because once I saw them all dressed up and so happy I knew I needed that myself... it was the start of me coming to terms with things and inspired me to go out and buy my own clothes.

What surprised me the most about the documentary was the beginning when they were all on their outing. I was like "OMG that's Scarborough", I lived in that particular seaside town for over a decade and I don't think I was ever aware of any crossdressing meetups at the Grand Hotel. Or maybe I did know and I was just too caught up in my own denial and closeted behaviour to ever do anything about it and get my dressed up self out the door. Should have done it my figure was better back then. :lol:

I did like the way they talked about us having a range of behaviour and the sheer contrast between male mode and female mode still continually amazes me. It makes me feel good to know we have this large variation because it gives me comfort knowing I'm not suddenly broken inside when I feel I need to be male and I stop feeling my feminine side as much. I also loved the Victorian dresses, although I'm sure I'd look dreadful in them.

Seeing them all at the restaurant at the end with no one even batting an eyelid. God how I would love that being amongst genuine friends who totally relate. I really should motivate myself one of these days... just got to get past the fear first.
Anthony Simon
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Anthony Simon »

The outing was actually organised by The Boudoir, which is a London-based dressing service.

http://www.theboudoironline.com/index.php

Crystal Joanne
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by Crystal Joanne »

Thanks for the link Anthony. I'll definitely look into that in the future once I've rediscovered my courage and got back my self-esteem.