dresses at work

General talk about CD/TGing and gender topics that aren't necessarily fun things we do while en femme, or for gender-driven discussions.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

dresses at work

Post by Ralitsa »

I just finally gave up and did it.
I calculated that with the number of dresses I have, and how often I wear usually wear them, and how often I buy new ones, that I would be dead for 372 years before I get through them all. So the obvious answer to that is to wear them more often, which means every day to work.
The argument against wearing them to work is that everyone else dresses business casual, casual casual, informal casual, or informally informal. Which is to say that a dress is way overdressed.
But since I pretty much do what I please anyway, being the only one in the office wearing a dress isn't going to be a huge surprise. And anyway, it's at work. Since when is it weird to dress "too nicely" for work?
So I went ahead and wore a dress Friday, and then again on Monday. (no, not the same one, of course) Now I'm deciding which one to wear tomorrow. I have so many that I want to wear, I just can't decide so I think I need to go dress shopping again and buy something new.
PhylissH
Miss Platinum Goddess

Re: dresses at work

Post by PhylissH »

How about an update on wearing dresses to work

Maybe by you wearing dresses to work some of your co-workers may decide to join you, as they did not want to be the only one.

How wonderful that you are able to wear dresses to work, even if I could it would not be practical at all for me as I work outside
and spend a lot of time bending and climbing a round to equipment.
" I would rather die while I am living than live when I am dead"

Texas CD, Best of both worlds,
Hugs Phyliss
Sarah Rene
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Sarah Rene »

PhylissH wrote: How wonderful that you are able to wear dresses to work, even if I could it would not be practical at all for me as I work outside
and spend a lot of time bending and climbing a round to equipment.
Learn how to bend from the knees and always wear pretty panties! :lol:
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

Sarah Rene wrote:..... and always wear pretty panties!
And Mom said to always wear clean undies. :whistle:
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Ralitsa,
Is your work an office like setting, cubicle? A dress with heels at work is perfectly acceptable given the right conditions. An off the shoulder, sequined dress with a feather boa is most likely way too much. LOL! Plenty of dresses are styled as 'business casual'. Really, there's not much difference between a dress and a skirt/blouse combo. As long as you're comfortable wearing one all day, go for it! Kudos to you for 'dressing' up the place!

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
Melissa Mac
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Melissa Mac »

Wish I had the courage to wear a dress to work. Good for you Ralista! =D>
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

OK, here is the update.

I've worn a dress almost every day since that first post. This week I wore a dress every single day. No off the shoulder sequined dresses with feathered boa's though, sadly I don't have any of those; but I did add that to my shopping list! :)

Which means that I've worn about 1/2 my winter collection of dresses at least once. That was the easy half, the more casual and mainstream types. I have a few that are probably too formal for work by most reasonable standards. I don't know why, but a skirt and blouse seems more of a conservative, business like outfit than a dress. But dresses are so much easier, just grab any one off the hanger and instantly you look great! On Thursday I tried a skirt and blouse, then after 6 combinations that I didn't like I just grabbed a dress and went with it.

As background, I work in an office setting with a mix of cubicles and closed offices. Mine is closed. We have something like 25 people there. One other woman wears dresses occasionally, though usually only when there is some special thing happening. And one other woman dresses very nicely though I've not seen her wear a dress yet (but she has only been with us about 4 months). Pretty much everyone else goes for "business casual" which is more casual than business. A few of the older men do wear the typical engineer garb of slacks and button up collared shirt. And since I fit the "older" category it is probably typical that I dress more formally than those dang kids nowadays.

Of course there has been absolutely no comments, I didn't expect any. Though I did almost wonder if people were going to ask who died and if I were going to a funeral, and why so many all of a sudden. But there is also no sign yet that anyone else are raising their dressing standards.

The most important part of the story is, that I feel great! I love being in a dress, I feel good in one, I think I look good in one (and I insist on believing that no matter the evidence :P ), and my day is a lot easier to deal with. On the one hand it seems unaccountable that an outfit should have so much influence over a persons sense of well being, but it makes a huge difference to my attitude. I'm more than comfortable wearing one, I'm more comfortable in a dress than any other outfit.

Phyliss, I understand your situation. A dress is just really not practical for some jobs. There were times I've had jobs where a dress just wouldn't work. Several months ago a headhunter called me and tried to convince me to take a different job, which would have been a lot more money. It would be one that would necessitate wearing construction work clothes though. That, and I'm not impressed with that company, made me stay where I'm at. I just don't know that any amount of money would be worth not being able to wear what I like. I say that, but this is the only job I've ever had where I can wear what I like :-k
Eileen (SO)

Post by Eileen (SO) »

Ralitsa wrote: And since I fit the "older" category it is probably typical that I dress more formally than those dang kids nowadays.
I prefer the term, 'mature' referring to age. And those dang kids! Dresses are usually viewed as more formal than separates, still, your choice. My body fits separates better than dresses as my top and bottom half are one size different. While some like the advantage of mixing up skirts and blouses, a dress needs but one hanger and can be accessorized for several looks through out a week.

You'll be the 'lady in the dress' at the office, not a bad moniker. One to be proud of.

Eileen
Not only a wife, a girlfriend too!
KimberlyS
Site Administrator

Post by KimberlyS »

Ralitsa thanks for the update. Hope it continues to go well. Maybe some of the other women will start wearing dresses. May have better luck with others wearing dresses when it warms up some up there. The cold wind blowing up has to be a bit cool.

kimberlys
Site Administrator

I am a physically male person that likes to wear feminine clothes at times.
Just trying keep a balance for my self along with keeping my wife and kids in mind.
Stephanie M
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Stephanie M »

Halloween of 2018 I dressed at work and came out to those who didn't already know. For a couple of months I only dressed on weekends when we have to work. Now I wear skirts or dresses most days. I can't wear heels because I have to follow the company dress code, but I'm finding I can live with flats.
Well, we all have a face
That we hide away forever
And we take them out
And show ourselves when everyone has gone
Stephanie M
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Stephanie M »

Melissa Mac wrote:Wish I had the courage to wear a dress to work. Good for you Ralista! =D>
I quit wishing and just did it.
I know not everyone can, and I've had some discomfort on occasion while dressed, but overall I regret it more when I don't go to work dressed, and never when I do.
Well, we all have a face
That we hide away forever
And we take them out
And show ourselves when everyone has gone
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

but overall I regret it more when I don't go to work dressed, and never when I do
That is so true Stephanie!
Since I originally posted this I've worn a dress nearly every day. I have now accomplished wearing all of them at least once. Well sort of, that doesn't include the summer styles of course, and it doesn't include the more formal ones. And I have some that are older which I wear around home that are not in the best condition to wear out, but those I already get plenty of use from.

The only thing that might be inconvenient about it is that it takes much longer to get ready. Mostly I wouldn't wear much make-up, but when wearing a dress of course I have to put more care into looking nice. And I really don't mind doing it, it just takes an extra half hour every morning. But I'm always happier when I do it!
Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anne Bonny »

Dressing as you desire is a matter of personal preference... Caught reading above that most of the ladies don't or most wear slacks? I think personally I would "follow the herd" or take the cue of my female coworkers if that seems to be the preferred style? Of course the wonderful thing is you are free to be who you are inside and to express whatever helps you to feel good. I think I would just like to fit in and be who I am inside. I no longer work...being retired retired but I could volunteer or seek to do something so that I would be around people.
Go with the flow
Ralitsa
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Ralitsa »

So it does seem like I'm overdressed compared to everyone else, but if that's the worst thing I'm accused of I'll be pretty happy. For I while I thought I should try to follow the trend and be like everyone else but on reflection that seems sort of ridiculous. In no other way am I like everyone else anyway, except for being a member of the same species and even that I usually deny.
It turns out that I am much happier wearing a dress than trying to blend in.
Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anne Bonny »

It is about just being who you are, if you are comfortable within a broad range ... you are not going to show up dressed for the beach...then relax and focus on work.
Go with the flow