Getting more comfortable in "dresses"

General talk about CD/TGing and gender topics that aren't necessarily fun things we do while en femme, or for gender-driven discussions.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

TracyQ
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Getting more comfortable in "dresses"

Post by TracyQ »

I've been living as a woman for 15 years or so, but, due to the "look at me" syndrome, I've never been really comfortable being out in public in a dress or skirt, although, of course, I love wearing them and the femininity that they project.

BUT, more and more real women are wearing them these days, and so have I! Just ran out to do some errands, wearing a (I think) really cute shirtwaist with a full skirt, and it was no different than wearing jeans and a top as far as being uncomfortable. I.e., it was just fine, and so much fun!

This is sort of a "it's all about me" post, but maybe it will help others to just "do what you want to do", God knows that I waited too long to be myself.
Virginia
Goddess of the Universe

Post by Virginia »

Hi Tracy,
You know I have noticed a slight increase in the number of girls in skirts even here lately. You would be an expert in that area with 15 years "under your belt" so to speak. I have been taken to the wood shed so many times addressing my opinion of women and what they choose to wear. So this time, all I am going to say is that I agree with you - "Girl just do your thing!"
Virginia
First star to the right, then straight on 'till mornin!
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Hi, Tracy -

I'm glad that you felt comfortable wearing a dress while out doing your errands! During the past several months, whenever I am going shopping I am almost always wearing either a skirt or a dress, and always high heels with them. Okay, some of those skirts are actually skorts, but you can't tell the difference just by looking at them. {Hey! No peeking allowed!!} [-X :P

Like you, I've been noticing more women and teenage girls wearing skirts or dresses while shopping, too.

To quote Virginia, "Girl, just do your thing!"

||oo||

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Jeannie
Miss Ruby Goddess

Go with the flow.

Post by Jeannie »

Tracy. You look great. I waited 55 years to be myself. Your post is not a selfish "It's all about me" It's all about you as the person you were born. Everyone gets to live their life. Why not us?Who freaking cares if other women don't wear what you like to wear. Go for it Sweety. Be comfortable in your own skin. If others don't like it tell them "Honey. Why don't you take a few minutes off and go outside and play"Hide and go F yourself!" Hugs.

Love
Jeannie

PS. If you live your life for others you end up as no one at all. Wish you the best Lady. Nothing but the best. We let others tell us how we have to live. It's not easy being ourselves but freak them if they don't like us. We don't need people like that in our lives.
Maria
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Maria »

I enjoy wearing either miniskirts or my black minidress. I enjoy the freedom of movement and showing off my beautiful legs. I don't own any female pants!

Maria
Zamperla

Re: Getting more comfortable in "dresses"

Post by Zamperla »

Hi, New here from Melbourne, Australia. Dresses are expensive and looks elegant. Jeans and tops comes in the causal wearing. I do agree that dresses give the feminine look and real women like to have designer dresses here in Australia.
Trend Women Dresses http://www.thetrendystyle.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Worldwide Shipping and We have "Dresses for Every Occasion".
Davita
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Davita »

Designer dresses for everyday? Not sure I could be comfy wearing that because I would worry about messing it up.

In my office the ladies are a mix of office wear and save the jeans for Friday. This week I was worried about being too casual in a cotton skirt and summer weight sweater. Today was a new fit and flare dress. :) Gotta love it when the other girls compliment you.
{squeezes}
Davita
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Heather W »

I agree the general trend is back to skirts and dresses and I like it! :) I find that a skirt, even a maxi skirt is just as cool and comfortable as shorts in warm weather, maybe women are discovering that as well. Not sure about heels for shopping as Silver Lady talks about. I do though find wedges, even higher ones with platfrom soles, very comfortable even all day.
The time is always right to do what is right
Martin Luther Ling Jr
Janet Bern
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Janet Bern »

I hope it isn't just the summer time that women are starting to wear dresses again.
I look forward to more in the fall and even winter.
Diana Michelle
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Diana Michelle »

IMHO the rise in women wearing more dresses and skirts is a direct result of ten ever growing popularity of the maxi. Most women enjoy their femininity and love to show it. The maxi allows us to show that while maintaining some modesty afforded by slacks or jeans and be comfortable. I know I have worn more dresses this year, both maxis and other lengths but I do admit the maxi allows me to go sans hose, much cooler in the summer.

SL I haven't worn a skort with heels, and knowing you hose :lol: , since the 90's, when they were popular. I do have a couple but generally I pair them with socks and my tennis shoes. As for Janet's comment about the trend continuing into the fall and winter that remains to be seen. I think the weather will play a big role in that one.
Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did only she did it backwards and in high heels!

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls and whispered in the sounds of silence. Paul Simon
Robyn
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Robyn »

Janet Bern wrote:I hope it isn't just the summer time that women are starting to wear dresses again.
I look forward to more in the fall and even winter.
Come on over the the West Coast Janet, you'll be wearing your dresses year round :-)
Normal, just not average,
Robyn
Heather W
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Heather W »

I agree with Janet about being eager for fall, not sure about winter though. I love tights and all the colrs, styles, and textures available especially paired with boots, both knee high and ankle booties. My biggest problem at that time of the year is which tights to wear! :)
The time is always right to do what is right
Martin Luther Ling Jr
Karen Ski
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by Karen Ski »

Robyn wrote: Come on over the the West Coast Janet, you'll be wearing your dresses year round :-)
Amen to that Robyn! I think most SoCal women live in dresses, I know this one does. Sure I have jeans and slacks but if I had to guess I probably wear a dress or a skirt 90% of the time. It so easy to just pull one on and dress it up or down to fit the occasion.
Melissa Mac
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Melissa Mac »

I know I have seen more women in dresses or skirts this year than any in past memory. I would like to think this is going to continue into the fall and winter but as someone said it is much a function of weather as much as anything. Yesterday I had a lot of my typical Saturday chores to do including grocery shopping. I went with a black and white print maxi skirt, black tee, and thong sandals and noone batted an eyelash at my appearance. I even saw several GG's dressed similar to me. This was the first time I had ever worn a skirt to do my weekly shopping but it will definitely not be the last! :)