THE OFFICIAL: CD / TG Movie & Theatre Discussion

General talk about CD/TGing and gender topics that aren't necessarily fun things we do while en femme, or for gender-driven discussions.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

CherylM
Miss Silver Goddess

THE OFFICIAL: CD / TG Movie & Theatre Discussion

Post by CherylM »

Isn't it interesting, that some of the funniest films ever made, and some of the most memorable characters, are in films with a Cross-Dressing theme?

example: "Some like it Hot". Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon were unforgettable! I like when Jack Lemmon is pinched getting on the train, and then slaps the man and says "FRESH!".

"Mrs. Doubtfire". I saw that film and the woman in the theater seat in front of me, literally laughed so hard, that she lost control of herself, and slid out of the seat onto the floor. I liked Robin Williams line "It's a pain in the padded backside".

Who can forget "Gwendolyn" in "Crocodile Dundee"? When Mick grabs his balls, and that look on Gwendolyn's face!

And of course "Tootsie". I like when he is in the restaurant with Sidney Pollack, and he whispers "My last part was playing a tomato". Sidney quietly drops his jaw and says "I knew you needed therapy".

and on and on. Something about a man in women's clothes, just touches a nerve in the American funnybone!

Remember "Little Big Man". The one indian, who prances around the teepee, with hearts on his blanket! When people saw this, I remember the roof almost fell in. Heretofore, Indians had always been "macho" types, carrying tomahawks, and ultra-male. The juxtaposition of a "swishing" Indian was just too funny!

There are some more serious films, one of my all-time favorites was "Cabaret", where Joel Grey, as the Master of Ceremonies, gave a sterling performance, as a female impersonator, and earned the academy award.

I remember a Western film some years ago, where the (female) heroine dressed as a male cowboy to find work. Can't remember the title on that one (anyone here know?)

There was a film, made in England: "Just like a Woman" 1992. The male star is a CD. His wife, actress Julie Walters is clueless. She finds his stash, and is convinced he is having an affair. She comes around to being accepting and supporting. He turns out to being a better businessperson when dressed "en femme", and goes to a board meeting dressed. He speaks Japanese, and wins the deal. This film is an under-appreciated gem.

The most memorable scene, in "Silence of the Lambs", is where "James Gumm" is dancing in front of the mirror, putting on the makeup, the music is turned up loud, and he is saying "bubbles me" . This film takes cross-dressing into the extreme, where the villain is killing the women to skin them, and make a "woman suit" , the psychology of the film is so taboo and "over the top". The film earned a hatful of oscars (4 or 5?), and Anthony Hopkins' performance is sterling. He just ripped into "Hannibal" like a pit-bull.

Go ahead, girls- What are your favorite films with cross-dressing themes?
Last edited by CherylM on Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
Cheryl
Northern Virginia
Jenny
Miss Silver Goddess

Post by Jenny »

Yes, Gwendolyn had quite the reaction in Crocodile Dundee :lol:

I think Sorority Boys was pretty funny, too. I love the part where one of the three guys gets ingrown hairs after shaving his legs and freaks out over this "rash". Surprisingly, though, the three guys were fairly passable.
Virginia
Goddess of the Universe

Post by Virginia »

first thing on my mind; "Connie and Carla!"
Two girls acting as guys acting as girls!
Virginia
First star to the right, then straight on 'till mornin!
Jaye
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Jaye »

"Victor Victoria" - Julie Andrews is a woman, pretending to be a man, pretending to be a woman. I first saw this movie when I was about ten or eleven, and when I saw the "Jazz Hot" number, I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up.

On a related note, I saw a promo earlier this evening for a new Eddie Murphy movie, called "Norbit". It's about a misfit who marries this HUGE woman, then meets the girl of his dreams. Murphy, in makeup and prostheses, plays the young man, his wife and his adoptive Chinese father. :shock: :shock: :shock:
The most common form of despair comes from not being who you are. - Soren Kierkegaard
Rikki
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Rikki »

Got to be: To Wong Foo - Best Wishes, Julie Newmar

Swayze never looked so good as in that 50's dress while encountering the sherrif on the country road.
Be safe, Be frilled
Virginia
Goddess of the Universe

Post by Virginia »

I started a thread about this movie I just saw the second half of but it seems very interesting and will try and either rent it or see it on the movie channels: "Breakfast on Pluto!"
Virginia
First star to the right, then straight on 'till mornin!
DeeDee
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by DeeDee »

Another good movie, with a twist, is "Flawless" with Robert DeNiro. He's a hardnosed cop who has a stroke..and his next door neighbor helps him recover. The neighbor happens to be TS, and the movie actually has an interesting plot.
Btw......if any admins happen by.....maybe we should have a "sticky" for movie chat...just a thought :lol:
DeeDee
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

DeeDee wrote:Btw......if any admins happen by.....maybe we should have a "sticky" for movie chat...just a thought :lol:
That is a great idea, DeeDee, but instead of a 'sticky' we could have a thread titled "The Official Crossdressing Movie & Theatre Discussion".

If CherylM has no objections, this particular thread could be so renamed by CherylM or myself; however, I will not rename this thread without her permission.

CherylM - What do you think about the idea of renaming your thread?

(--)

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
CJ
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by CJ »

Hi all,

My favorite movies where TG is a central theme, in alphabetical order (most of them are comedies; it seems movie producers have a hard time dealing with transgender themes in any other way):

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Love,
CJ

P.S.
Here's a great link for those that are interested: JK's Transgender Movie Guide
SilverLady(SO)
Retired Site Administrator

Post by SilverLady(SO) »

Thanks for the link, CJ - I've added that to my Favorites!

*Hugs*

- SL
SilverLady(SO)
- Native Motor City and Wolverine gal . . . GO BLUE!!
- Molon Labe - Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
- ***------- Proud Military Family - Navy, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard ***-------
Kendra Lynn
Miss Emerald Goddess

TG/CD FILMS

Post by Kendra Lynn »

Well, let's see... I own more than a few of these...
SOME LIKE IT HOT is simply a great film, by any standards.
I certainly enjoyed TOO WONG FOO, PRISCILLA, QUEEN OF THE DESERT (and thaPRISCILLA does give the characters of Elrond in Lord of the Rings and General Non in SUPERMAN 2 certain unexpected resonances. Did everyone else recognize those actors in their different roles?
TOOTSIE, of course, also a great film by any standards.
Enjoyed ED WOOD, but think Edward Scissornands is probably Tim Burton's best film (and you get to see Winona Ryder in a cheerleader outfit-- well, only for a few seconds... but ah, those seconds...
And speaking of cheerleaders-- how many out there have seen JUST ONE OF THE GIRLS, where Corey Haim cross dresses to hide from a high school bully. Haim looks really good in all the outfits including a right snazzy cheerleader uniform.
A really fine TG movie is the British film DIFFERENT FOR GIRLS. I believe a male actor plays the part of a TS woman and he looks great. In the end, this is a well done love story with a TG twist.
Can't think of any more films right now, but I'm sure everyone is also aware that many sitcoms have run episodes which include cross dressing.
Ok, really tired so I'll stop here.
Neat thread-- looking forward to reading more votes and commentaries.
Peace- Kendra Lynn.
CherylM
Miss Silver Goddess

Feel free to move and/or rename the discussion

Post by CherylM »

I had no idea, that I would initiate such a spirited discussion! Looks like I "struck a nerve". You may of course, feel free to move and/or rename the discussion!

Film is our "co-literature), as a society. Film is the "lab that examines life". Slowly, attitudes are changing about cross-dressing, I hope! Maybe through laughter, and comedy, people will begin to be more accepting.
Cheryl
Northern Virginia
Connie
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Connie »

I've seen many of those movies which CJ has listed. Some Like It Hot was definately a groundbreaker. Does anybody know if this is correct? I think the last line in SLIH was "Well, nobody's perfect", which leads me to a movie nobody has mentioned yet called "Nobody's Perfect" with Rob Lowe playing a male college student (transfer into college and plays tennis) who dresses (and attends classes) as a woman to get close to a female tennis player, becomes her roommate and joins the women's tennis team (he got kicked off the men's team because he was distracted by the girl).

And I agree with Kendra Lynn that "Just Like a Girl" is pretty good. I own a VHS of it.

If we go with movies with just scenes with crossdressing, there is also "Thunderbolt and Lightfoot" - Jeff Bridges dresses as a woman to distract the guard at a security company while his cohorts break into a vault.
Nina Femrite
Miss Crystal Goddess

Post by Nina Femrite »

one of the most touching scenes in any movie was when claudio alfonsi dons his son's sweater like a babushka in 'life is beautiful'. he then went searching for his wife, his 'principesa', in the dangerous confines of the world war 2 concentration camp. he rolled up his pant legs and in seconds made himself almost passable from a distance. as he walked among the women prisoners, asking in his tenor voice if any had seen his wife, they ignored him and his momentary crossdressing. of course, he's caught by the German guards and does a mockery of the goose-step as he's marched by the spot his son is hiding, on his way to his execution.

i hope this doesn't spoil the movie for any who might not have seen it. alfonsi won an oscar for best actor for a remarkable performance. it's a favorite in my collection.
Nina
CJ
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by CJ »

Hi all,

Yes, Connie, I've also seen Nobody's Perfect a couple of times. It's well done and quite entertaining. A small correction: it's Rob's younger brother, Chad, that plays the lead in this film. He plays it well, too. I couldn't find a decent image for it, so I didn't list it in my original post.

Two other films I didn't list but that I've seen are the comedies The Naked Truth, about two guys who dress as girls to escape mobsters (sound familiar?), and He's My Girl, about a pop star's manager who dresses as a woman in order to be allowed to accompany his charge to a music contest in L.A. I didn't bother listing them because they're so-so, only mildly funny.

I see a theme, here. For Hollywood, men dress as women for two main reasons, looks like: 1) to escape a bad situation (mobsters, unemployment, etc.), and 2) to gain access to situations or places where only women are usually permitted (sororities, dorms, so-called female occupations, etc.). In other words, films where CD'ing figures prominently are often "situational," i.e., based on a given situation. As such, they're the Big Screen's answers to television sitcoms (or "situation comedies"). Films that deal with transsexualism, on the other hand, are often about "the journey" (to womanhood, to the "true self," etc.). Last year's Transamerica is a great example of this as it makes that theme explicit.

Great thread, Cheryl. Thanks! 8)

Love,
CJ