THE OFFICIAL: CD / TG Movie & Theatre Discussion

General talk about CD/TGing and gender topics that aren't necessarily fun things we do while en femme, or for gender-driven discussions.

Moderators: KimberlyS, CathyAnn

Belinda
Miss Emerald Goddess

Re: THE OFFICIAL: Crossdressing Movie & Theatre Discussion

Post by Belinda »

The BBC produced a play in the early eighties about a young man of about twenty one who sought a sex change, it was called "Even Soloman". Dont think it was ever repeated and no idea if it exists in the BBC archives.
Rikki
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Rikki »

This may be posted elsewhere, but I ran on YouTube doc with Helen Boyd and husband Betty about her book: My Husband Betty at http://youtu.be/D7THA0EfK0s

give me hope.

Rikki
Be safe, Be frilled
Mike P.
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Re: Dressed to Kill

Post by Mike P. »

I was wondering when someone would mention this film, probably one of the biggest influences when I was a kid on crossdressing, aside from the killer part of the character.
Rikki wrote:Just watched the 1980 Michael Kaine movie, Dressed to Kill the other night. Pretty sexy flick, even for cable. Angie Dickenson is killed by a slasher who, wouldn't you know turns out to be a "sick" transgenered cross dresser. I guess what dismayed me the most was the fact that the villan (I won't give it totally away in case anyone wants to view it) is made out to be mentally ill by his feelings involved in his transgendered situation.

While I was drawn into watching it, I was saddened. About myself, about the public perception of crossdressing (in general) and I guess about the inablility I have to discuss my feelings with anyone other than you kind people. Thankfully the public is becoming more accepting of variations of all kinds since the turn of the millenia so the feelings illustrated in that film I guess are much different being 30 years old.

They called it a Hitchcock-ian style film, and like Psycho, it left the same feeling with the viewer about a "man in a dress."

All poufed up now and feeling better,
Rikki
"Let your heart sing loudly!"
Paula G
Miss Ruby Goddess

Post by Paula G »

Last night we watched (against my better judgement) a CSI, my wife loves these i find them a bit too graphic and definitely too far fetched, however... in this episode there is a cross dressed character who it transpires is being use as a drug mule, but although the presentation was not too bad the character was less than sympathetic. As I observed to my wife, "Just what we need more negative reinforcements of stereotypes."
Paula

Just because you don't believe it, that doesn't mean it's not true
Mány B
Miss Sapphire Goddess

crossdress movies

Post by Mány B »

I am not sure this is the right place to put it and I know that CD has already made an excellent list of the movies available but I found few movies that really treat the subject of crossdressing in a more realistic way. Tootsy is too far fetched, the bird cage too "comedy" etc. I prefer the style of Almodovar which is more "out of live". I saw a "documentary movie once where a boy was trying on his aunt's dress and was caught doing so whereafter she helped him on the long road to transformation. It was based on a true story . This however is the style of movies I would like to discover. Has anyone a suggestion?
Robin Southern

Re: crossdress movies

Post by Robin Southern »

If you haven't seen "Just Like a Woman" Starring Adrian Pasdar, it is well worth hunting down. It is without a doubt the most yrue to life of any CD movie I have ever come across. *-* *-*
Mány B
Miss Sapphire Goddess

Post by Mány B »

I have seen parts of it via youtube and I fully agree that it is an excellent portrait.
ArleneMcCarthy
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by ArleneMcCarthy »

The other night I watched "Tootsie" from beginning to end. It was better than I thought it would be. I have seen bits of the film many times. While I liked the film to me Dustin Hoofman is not passable and it is not likely that Charles Durning, IMOP, would have found her attractive. Just my oddball view. :)
Proud LGBT Supporter. I live 24/7 as a non-transitioned woman.ArleneRaquel - My lifestyle is very important to me & I love it and I love the opportunity to meet fellow CD's, & LGBT folks.
Anne Bonny
Miss Diamond Goddess

Post by Anne Bonny »

Went to youtube typed in all dressed up with no place to go and found an old documentary on crossdressing - the Renaissance Club, sure everyone here has seen it? Not a movie but fun to watch again.
Go with the flow
Rikki
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Rikki »

Last night I watched 3 episodes of the Amazon Prime series, "Transparent"! What a show in many ways. The central character is truly one of us. She/he is seen in LGBT support group and with family. The struggle to come to grips with who she/he feels he really is and come out to his family is dealt with very seriously and with sensitivity.

It has come under praise in the entertainment circles, partly for the subject it discusses with intelligence, but the fact that it is being produced by Amazon directly. Check it out.

Rikki
Be safe, Be frilled
Toni_Lynn_P
Miss Emerald Goddess

Post by Toni_Lynn_P »

Robin Southern wrote:If you haven't seen "Just Like a Woman" Starring Adrian Pasdar, it is well worth hunting down. It is without a doubt the most yrue to life of any CD movie I have ever come across. *-* *-*
This movie is hands down our (my wife and my) favourite romantic crossdressing movie. We both cried in total romantic chic-fasion while watching it

We also both love Kinky Boots and Hedwig & the Angry Inch -- so much with the last one that when I have the blues my wife sing 'Put on some make-up ...' to me.

I also cry at I Want What I Want -- which was one of my greatest influences as kid

Personally - -I hope I hope I hope -- since I am in a local theatre group that I get to play a female role someday. Time will tell. Oh -- and you'll all be invited

Hugs

Toni-Lynn
Rikki
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Rikki »

I'm surprised that no one here has commented on the Golden Globe Awards Sunday! Transparent, the Amazon series received two awards, one for the series itself and other Best Actor for lead actor/actress, Jeffrey Tambor, the trans-parent in the family. Read some of his comments here: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... revolution

Everyone should see the series, I found it very moving and emotional. As wifey and I watched the awards we were both silent. I awaited a comment from her, to judge her feelings (although she never saw the series) about the subject, and maybe me as I sat in my satin pajamas.

Not that I'm a salesgirl for Amazon Prime, but the series is worth watching.

All the best,
Rikki
Be safe, Be frilled
OliviaM
Miss Platinum Goddess

Post by OliviaM »

Hi Rikki. I did watch the first episode of Transparent last night. It was interesting to say the least. The crossdressing aspect was introduced at the end of the episode. I am hoping to watch the rest of season. One problem I have is that the rest of the family is dealing with a myriad of issues and kind of dysfunctional. While I believe you in that our subject is dealt with seriously, with all the dysfunction some people might see crossdressing as just another form of dysfunction. But I will watch and see what happens in future episodes.
Rikki
Miss Golden Goddess

Post by Rikki »

Olivia,

You are more than right: that series shows a family with a big boatload of issues, most revolving around sexual identity. And you're right, it could be easy for the un-washed to blame the children's issues on Dad's personal conflict. It does make for lots of drama.

Rikki
Be safe, Be frilled
DonnaT
Miss Great Goddess

Post by DonnaT »

Transparent is supposed to be a comedy, and one template of such comedies is dysfunctional children.
DonnaT